Quality control? Dell U2311h vs Benq Ew2420/ Asus ML249H

Hi there,
Considering getting either the Dell U2311h or the Benq EW2420 (or the Asus ML249H which uses the same MVA panel as the Benq). Anyway, heard some bad things about Benq's quality control from various sources, but now perusing this forum it sounds like the Dell maybe has some problems to due to the panel maker LG's quality control. Anyone else have any input on this? And would the Asus likely be any better in this regard than the Benq?

Also, about the black depth. It sounded like the Dell was relatively quite good (0.14 cd/m2(except for the IPS glow?), but the Benq's was very very good (0.04). How important is this likely to be in practice? I just don't want to be watching Blade Runner or some shadowy 1940s film noir and have the black areas look noticeably un-black.

I'm beginning to wonder if there are any LG panels which
don't have a quality control problem, maybe I should avoid
all of them?

LG's IPS panels have tinting and blacklight bleed problem.
LG's TN panels have vertical lines.

Does LG make any VA panels?

How is the quality control on non-LG panels?

Well my friend used to have an old samsung panel and it was the most amazing TN I've ever seen. The colors were good and had alright viewing angles. I can remember the model number though. I haven't seen a TN since that I've been impressed by though.

I'm beginning to wonder if there are any LG panels which
don't have a quality control problem, maybe I should avoid
all of them?

LG's IPS panels have tinting and blacklight bleed problem.
LG's TN panels have vertical lines.

Does LG make any VA panels?

How is the quality control on non-LG panels?

this is interesting. Samsung is the only TN panel I have seen that doesn't have vertical lines.
I don't know about AUO panels though.

the chimei panels I've seen all have vertical bands.

The LG ips226 panel i saw had major light bleed from the left edge of the screen.

quality control sucks ass these days. getting a good monitor is a crapshoot

LG does not make VA panels, to the best of my knowledge. It has to do with patents - Samsung owns primary PVA patents and LG.IPS (which has a long and convoluted history which I won't repost here) holds IPS patents. Lesser manufacturers like AUO and Innolux (formerly Chi Mei) either license or "borrow" other's patents. Not sure what the deal is with TN. Samsung is working on PLS as an IPS competitor, precisely because of patents. Otherwise, it would have just been easier for them to make IPS panels.

Just like in the mobile space, patent holdings in LCDs are used to control who can make what and to protect the largest companies from lawsuits filed by other companies, whether they infringe or not. In 2007 Samsung lost a LCD patent lawsuit against Sharp, but then counter-sued them (because they own so many patents in the space, pretty much anyone could be argued to be infringing some patent they own):
http://www.law360.com/topnews/articles/248836/samsung-sues-auo-3-customers-over-lcd-patents
http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/Details.aspx?NewsId=26453

Back