question about new ram i bought

JeRi

Limp Gawd
hey all, i finally got around to installing my new OCZ Platinum Rev 2's (2x512MB) that i received last week into my system tonight, and after resetting everything to stock timings in the bios, i found that the memory was running at 2.5-3-3-5 timings...these things are rated 2-2-2-5 at stock. i was just wondering why that would be? i went into the bios and loaded the default settings, rebooted and still saw they were at higher timings. so i ended up just going manual with the 2-2-2-5 1T for now(i know it's 2T at default, but i wanna run at 1T anyway). this isn't really much of a problem for me in the long run though(i plan to re-overclock my system once i get the time; hopefully this weekend after my tests and paper are due), i'm just curious as to why they're at higher timings than they should be. thanks

JeRi said:
hey all, i finally got around to installing my new OCZ Platinum Rev 2's (2x512MB) that i received last week into my system tonight, and after resetting everything to stock timings in the bios, i found that the memory was running at 2.5-3-3-5 timings...these things are rated 2-2-2-5 at stock. i was just wondering why that would be? i went into the bios and loaded the default settings, rebooted and still saw they were at higher timings. so i ended up just going manual with the 2-2-2-5 1T for now(i know it's 2T at default, but i wanna run at 1T anyway). this isn't really much of a problem for me in the long run though(i plan to re-overclock my system once i get the time; hopefully this weekend after my tests and paper are due), i'm just curious as to why they're at higher timings than they should be. thanks
If you boot up CPU-Z, what's it say the SPD is set to?

JeRi said:

Is your vdimm 2.5 or 2.6V?

If so bump it up a single tenth.

SPD is at

CAS# Latency 2.0
RAS to CAS 2
RAS Precharge 3
TRas 5

i have it set to auto voltage in bios

JeRi said:
SPD is at

CAS# Latency 2.0
RAS to CAS 2
RAS Precharge 3
TRas 5

i have it set to auto voltage in bios
Well, if that's the SPD, that's what it should set to in the BIOS with auto... Weird...

yea the bios doesn't know, it just auto sets it to what it thinks it should go at. Just set it to what its supposeded to be rated at for that speed and voltage and your done.

ok that's what i thought was the problem (just the mobo reading it wrong or whatever)...like i said, it's not much of a problem as i'll be overclocking soon enough as it is, so i'll be playing with the timings and voltages anyway. thanks for the input everyone :)

Back