Question for an SLI setup (single or multi GPU) in control panal?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
When installing the 71.89 driver (or any driver for that matter) after the first reboot, when it comes back into windows it says "SLI enabled, blah blah blah" when I go into control panal, and properties for the graphics card, I click "show advanced options" It's set to single GPU rendering alway, but you have the option for MULTI GPU rendering. After every driver install, the driver is always set to SINGLE GPU rendering, and not MULTI GPU rendering, WHY? Do I want to force MULTI GPU rendering, and even though it set to SINGLE GPU rendering, are games still taking advantage of my SLI 6800U's?

As far as I know, you need to enable profiles for each game you play. But perhaps someone with a little bit more knowledge can chime in ;)

I think the single/multiple setting in "advanced options" specifies what the driver should do if there is no profile for the game/application it is about to run.

Enabling the "Show GPU load balancing" option should make it clear as to whether or not a game is utilizing SLI or not.

But basically if there's a profile in the drivers for the game you're playing already, then you really don't have to worry too much about the SLI rendering mode option under Global settings.

If however your game lacks a profile, then you may want to experiment a bit more with the setting.

Coolbits will also unlock additional options letting you specify which rendering mode you want to use as well (AFR, SFR, AFR2, etc..etc..)

Essentially just enable multi GPU and leave it.
Do not click show load balancing, as this will put a green line on your screen showing the actual balancing of the load between the graphics cards.
Really if your game needs SLI, it is supported in the Driver.
Here is a list, but basically if it is not there, the only benefit would be ''wow i have 300fps!!!!''
Age of Mythology Medal of Honor: Spearhead

AquaNox 2: Revelation NBA Live 2005

Armed & Dangerous Need for Speed: Underground 2

Battlefield 1942 Painkiller

Battlefield 2 Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell

Battlefield Vietnam Perimeter

Breed Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

Brothers In Arms Quake III

Colin McRae Rally 2005 Serious Sam: The Second Encounter

Colin McRae Rally 04 Sims 2

Conan SpellForce

Dark Age of Camelot: Atlantis Splinter Cell

Dirt Track Racing 2 Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Doom 3 Star Wars: Battlefront

Everquest Star Wars: Republic Commando

Far Cry SWAT 4

Everquest II Thief: Deadly Shadows

FlatOut ToCA Race Driver 2

Ground Control II: Operation Exodus Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

Guild Wars Tony Hawk's Underground

Half-Life 2 Tribes Vengeance

Halo: Combat Evolved Tron 2.0

IL-2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles Unreal

Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising Unreal 2

Kohan II: Kings of War Unreal Tournament 2003

Lineage II: The Chaotic Chronicles Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Madden NFL 2005 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Max Payne 2: Fall of Max Payne World of Warcraft

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault X2: the Threat

Medal of Honor: Breakthrough Xpand Rally

In addition to these top games, NVIDIA SLI supports the following applications:

3DMark2001 Dawn: NVIDIA Demo

3DMark03 HDRLighting

3DMark05 Nalu: NVIDIA Demo

AquaMark 3 Trees of Pangaea

Codecreatures Pro

GlimmerMan said:
I think the single/multiple setting in "advanced options" specifies what the driver should do if there is no profile for the game/application it is about to run.

This is the correct answer. If you enable CoolBits, it will allow you to choose which type of SLI to "force" on all non profiled apps.

That setting enables/disables SLI... when check it allows both cards to work, if unchecked only one card goes... and with slower performance than if SLI was disabled in hardware because the machine is still having to manage the inactive card.

EDIT: personally I do not use the profiles... I just try and keep the drivers as generic as I can and tweak the in-game settings ...(if I can get away with just that)...

Back