Question for King_N

Tormond

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2007
Kind of an odd question but how far behind does Stanford feed you your stats? I notice that on a regular basis the stats update is about 30-45 min behind my actual points (for example if I have 1000 points and turn in a 500 pointer 30 min before hardfolding updates there is about a 75% chance that the update will not show) Not that it matters all that much as the points are there for me only as a benchmark for me and they will show up in the next update just curious as to how it happens more than anything else.

This is what Stanford attempts to provide once every three hours. King then has to process that, which since we now cover all teams and two projects is a bit slower then it used to be and then it’s uploaded to Hardfolding.com:

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/teamstats/team33.txt

They are sometimes way late with that file and the file is horrible because it has way too many duplications that need to be parsed as well as a few other complications.

So if the file is on time we see it posted about 30 to 60 min later.

Recently they changed the format, again, and again king had to program around it.

Stanford will not allow you to grab the raw data from the public site as their servers can’t handle the load, if you do it they will block your IP, forever.

I’m not in anyway trying to steal King’s thunder but I try to help him all I can so I know a bit about the system.

You realize he hand codes that entire site in notepad? The shear number of lines of code would amaze you.

I might add that while the rest of the world adopted the new DST format Sanford seemed to miss that which didn’t help at all either.

All in all he’s a busy guy doing all this, and trying to make a living as well.

Hope that helps a bit. In fact here it is 4 am my time and a few hour less in Kings zone and we were just discussing some possible changes.

Fun stuff, right?;)

Thanks for the reply. Actually that answered my question 100% as what I was really trying to figure out is if they were dropping him a file that he then had to parse (which it seems he does...well does it "automagically" now) and then massage to a usable state then it was uploaded to hardfolding thus showing the 15 min or so lag behind the points.

As always King does a STELLAR job on Hardfolding (hand coding that site makes me cringe..hell coding anything makes me cringe I am thrilled there are people out there that like doing it) and I wasn't in any way attempting to bash him at all it was just a question to see if the disparitty was because of something Stanford handed out or where exactly the lag was.

Thanks for the reply. Actually that answered my question 100% as what I was really trying to figure out is if they were dropping him a file that he then had to parse (which it seems he does...well does it "automagically" now) and then massage to a usable state then it was uploaded to hardfolding thus showing the 15 min or so lag behind the points.

As always King does a STELLAR job on Hardfolding (hand coding that site makes me cringe..hell coding anything makes me cringe I am thrilled there are people out there that like doing it) and I wasn't in any way attempting to bash him at all it was just a question to see if the disparitty was because of something Stanford handed out or where exactly the lag was.

Nope, I didn’t take what you said as “King Bashing” at all.

When you take into account King now processes all the teams not just the page I showed you as well as they now provide it in some weird compressed form it makes for a ton of processing.

In case you missed it King now provides a new graphic for other teams to add to their sig or add it to a post on sites that allow it:

http://www.devhardware.com/forums/dev-folding-29/the-horde-folding-stats-page-128099.html

Slowly but surly Hardfolding.com is becoming THE site to watch for stats.

Thanks for the interest and kind comments, I’m sure King will enjoy that.

I voted King for President, he's the best :) Love all you do for us here and agree other teams are coming to [H]ard Folding for there stats is proven.
BillR for vice president.

My god, if ever a person should be insto banned it's you for that statement...!!!!! :D:D

Actually, I think BillR and the current vice moron have more in common than not... World domination and all that! :p

I voted King for President, he's the best :) Love all you do for us here and agree other teams are coming to [H]ard Folding for there stats is proven.

Better thing would be to vote marty king of.....

morons then you will get his love ;)

Back