Questions on OC'ing my Athlon MP

skudmunky

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright, you can look at my sig to see my pc specs. I'm hoping to upgrade around the end of summer, but until then I'd like to get as much as possible out of my computer. I'm already overclocking my graphics card by about 100mhz (275 mhz to 370 mhz), and I'm wondering whether overclocking my MP would be worth the effort.
cpu-z1.jpg

cpu-z2.jpg

yeah, its pretty old. and slow. (when it was built 4 years ago it was a 400 dollar machine) I've been told that MPs are bad for overclocking because they overheat, but would one of the Zalman coolers be good? has anyone hear actually played around with one of these MPs before?

thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

-skud

go into the bios and slowly up the fsb then benchmark the computer or do some burn in test, if the computer locks up or reboots, up the vcore (voltage to cpu) a little and try again.

I'm not going to do much yet, I don't know if the stock cooler on it right now would be enough to keep it from overheating.

thanks for the advice, but it still doesn't tell me if it'll overheat (and melt!) or not.

You need to remove the heatsink and read the code of the chip.
Is it "AMP1600DMS3C" ?
If it is then its a MP Palamino chip and it should be at a 133/266 Mhz FSB.
Is it "AX1600DMT3C" ?
If it is then its a plain Palamino chip and it should also be at a 133/266 Mhz FSB.

The Model 4 "Thunderbird" with a 10.5 multi is also a 133/266 FSB CPU.

It looks like from the info I can find your underclocking your CPU by 400 Mhz.
PS. What temp are you running now at full load ?
You are good untill around 60-65C

Luck............. :D

Tigerbiten said:
You need to remove the heatsink and read the code of the chip.
Is it "AMP1600DMS3C" ?
If it is then its a MP Palamino chip and it should be at a 133/266 Mhz FSB.
Is it "AX1600DMT3C" ?
If it is then its a plain Palamino chip and it should also be at a 133/266 Mhz FSB.

The Model 4 "Thunderbird" with a 10.5 multi is also a 133/266 FSB CPU.

It looks like from the info I can find your underclocking your CPU by 400 Mhz.
PS. What temp are you running now at full load ?
You are good untill around 60-65C

Luck............. :D

Really now.... Thats fascinating.

Unfortunetly, I've got to go to soccer practise, then I have to (hardship) eat dinner. After that I'll open the case and take a look though.

oh, I have no idea what my temps are like. unless theres a way for the computer to tell me, I don't have any thermometers...

Something like "SoftSandra" or "Mother Board Monitor" will give you a real time Temp & Voltage readings.

As for max overclock.
If you can run at 133 Mhz FSB and taking into account the age of your MoBo, its not likly to have an AGP/PCI lock, then the max will be around 140 Mhz.
My MPX boards will run happly at 150 Mhz FSB without any hard drives but at only 140 if I dont want any data corruption.
So you'll be looking at 140 x 10.5 = 1470 Mhz as a realistic figure to aim for.

I would up the FSB to 133, then run a coulpe of loops of Memtest86 to check for memory errors, then a few hour of Prime95 to check for CPU error.
While running Prime keep an eye on the temps.
If that works ok then try 137, then 140.

Luck............ :D

your cpu temp should be displayed in the health or something close to that section in the bios.

alright. after about an hour of struggling with the heatsink/fan, I've managed to get it off and read the number: AX16000DMT3C

this means...

I up the FSB to 133/266 mhz, then slowly increase it for the overclock?

sounds good to me.

Just check the speed of your memory first.
If you have PC2100 or better then your good to go at 133/266.
If you only have PC1600 then it might struggle to hit 133/266.

But if you can get 133 or above that will be a nice speed boost as both your CPU and Memory will be running faster.

Luck........ :D

Your board is the same thing as a ECS K7S5A...

Some helpfull hints...I'm a K7S5A owner too!

Best bang for your buck is the XP2400+ or an XP-M 2600+ to XP-M3000+

Don't bother trying to find a model 8 T-bird 2600+, you'd have better luck winning the lottery!!

Go to either of these links and get the latest Honey-X bios:

http://pub140.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

http://www.rhcf.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi...gi/forum/1.html?

Get rid of any PC133 or DDR2100, get 2-256Mb sticks of Crucial PC2700 Ram

You can OC this board, mine boots at 150/150 and will do 166/166, it depends what revision your board is, I ran my rev 1 board at 13.5x146.7 with an XP2200+. My Pro (rev5) has had Bartons (333 bus cpu's) running on it.

Stop by the first link, I'm veedub76 over there, Jhawk and -Milt- are also there, -Milt- can help you squeeze some decent performance out of the board..

http://milt.websiteallies.com/Beginner's_Guide_to_Overclocking_the_K7S5A.htm

Try to find these for out of the box upgrades:
Barton 2800+ (266) = RARE
Thorough bred B XP2600+ (266) = RARE
Barton MP2800+ (266) = Expensive
Barton XP-M 3000+ (266) = Best bang for your buck

MD

well, my heatsink isnt working, i need thermal compound/stuff, so i'm going off to microcenter to pick up a better (quieter and more efficiant) heatsink, some thermal compound, and a thermal pad. after that I should be good.

wish me luck.

-teh skud

Tigerbiten said:
Just check the speed of your memory first.
If you have PC2100 or better then your good to go at 133/266.
If you only have PC1600 then it might struggle to hit 133/266.

But if you can get 133 or above that will be a nice speed boost as both your CPU and Memory will be running faster.

Luck........ :D

I have a 256 stick of pc2700 and a 256 stick of pc3200, so my ram is fine...
gettting a heatsink now, and some thermal compound. updates later when i get it working.

thanks for the help!

:edit: Alright, I got a Zalman 7000B-Cu running now, with some silver thermal compound. brought it back up to 1.4 ghz and the temp right now is 37C. Dunno what it's like under a full load yet, but its working!

thanks guys

Back