Quick question...

Ferris

Weaksauce
Need some advice on a power supply and likely just need a link to a reliable calculator.

I currently have an evga 280 regular, Q6600 OCed to 3.2, 4gb of ram: 1 gb sticks, single sataHD, and a single sata DVD RW drive. I would like to try SLI and purchase another 280

Will my Corsair tx650 be enough to power this. I tried google but found several calculators and don't know which is the most reliable. Thanks for the help and links if possible.

Need some advice on a power supply and likely just need a link to a reliable calculator.

I currently have an evga 280 regular, Q6600 OCed to 3.2, 4gb of ram: 1 gb sticks, single sataHD, and a single sata DVD RW drive. I would like to try SLI and purchase another 280

Will my Corsair tx650 be enough to power this. I tried google but found several calculators and don't know which is the most reliable. Thanks for the help and links if possible.

For what you have right now that PSU will be just fine. If/when you decide to go SLI jump up to the 750 from the same company.

The reasoning behind this is to keep your over all load working in the sweet spot of your PSUs power curve thus keeping heat down and extending the life of your components.

If you think you are going to expand, bigger vid cards, more RAM a bunch of extra drives and more fans to remove heat I'd consider the BFG-800.

The best of the calculators give you sort of a base line however they assume you know a bit more and many tend to either under calculate or over calculate your needs.

Both the Corsair and BFG reps hang out here as well so you get a bonus level of support.

Have fun;)

The TX650 is plenty to handle your PC, even with a second GTX280 in SLI. However, like Bill said, if you want to stay in the sweet spot (which is the 50-60% load range), you'd be best off with a ~750-800W PSU.

If you think you are going to expand, bigger vid cards, more RAM a bunch of extra drives and more fans to remove heat I'd consider the BFG-850.

BFG-850? Think you mean BFG ES-800 ;).

The TX650 is plenty to handle your PC, even with a second GTX280 in SLI. However, like Bill said, if you want to stay in the sweet spot (which is the 50-60% load range), you'd be best off with a ~750-800W PSU.

BFG-850? Think you mean BFG ES-800 ;).

Nice catch, thanks;)

is there anything wrong with being in LESS than 50% or 40% load?

i am considering a PCP&C 750W just because its a good deal ($10 less than corsair tx650w right now AR) and i wont have to upgrade it for 5 years. will upgrade the vid card and overclock that, CPU, more ram, etc,.. but never SLI

Maybe I will just wait till Jan 5th and see if a quality 650W comes down below $65 AR.. (unless someone wants to sell me theirs?)

Back