Quickie Question

Tormond

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2007
So I am still alive and have a couple new boxes that I am willing to throw back into the cause but everything has become so different I am not sure where to start. Here is what I am loking to add

Dual Quad Xeon 8GB RAM Crap Video (pure server but basically does nothing but fileserve about twice a day)

Core i7-920 16GB RAM ATI 5870.. maybe run SMP and Video on this one?

Any assistance on this would be nice. Stopped messing with folding when Stanford went stupid on the points alocations a year or so ago but feel like I need to throw in a few boxes back for the horde (still have a few running here and ther ebut nothing major)

Last edited:
you could run the 6.29 SMP client on both systems.. depending on the clocks of the xeon you could either run the standard A3 WU's or use the -bigadv flag and try those WU's.. the i7 if its overclocked you could run the -bigadv WU's on that as well or run the standard A3 WU's.. zero82z made a very easy guide on how to install the SMP client and set it up.. its stickied at the top of this forum section.. hopefully this helps out.. also i wouldnt bother running the gpu client on the 5850.. the ATI client right now is junk and isnt worth the power usage for the PPD you get.. if you would like you could try that card out on BOINC running the milkyway@home project.. that card will mow through WU's like they are nothing..

Sorry I was wrong it is a ATI 5870 not a 5850.. Corrected teh top post

The Quad is a Xeon something or other I would have to go pull the cover to find out. 2.4Ghz . I don't overclock anything. This thing is not a turbo powerhouse it is just a server i setup to basically allow me to VNC into my home network when port forwarding goes to shit on my Home Server

Start with just the -smp flag. If your systems are rocking the standard and you want to then go -bigadv then go for that.

yeah i would start with -smp then.. check out zero's winSMP guide at the top of the forum.. should get you going pretty easily.. if something confuses you just post and we will help ya out..

yeah i would start with -smp then.. check out zero's winSMP guide at the top of the forum.. should get you going pretty easily.. if something confuses you just post and we will help ya out..

GPU client any more worthwhile on the 5870 vs the 5850? And do you still have to devote a core to the gpu client (sorry it's been a while that was how it used to work). Should I be running multiple smp clients or a single instance? When they first put out SMP it was one instance per 2 cores was teh "rule" for maximizing SMP

BTW running Win7 x64

Getting "unable to email passkey" when I try to download that....

Last edited:
GPU client any more worthwhile on the 5870 vs the 5850? And do you still have to devote a core to the gpu client (sorry it's been a while that was how it used to work).
The Ati client still uses one core from what I've heard.

Should I be running multiple smp clients or a single instance? When they first put out SMP it was one instance per 2 cores was teh "rule" for maximizing SMP
Single instance.

GPU client any more worthwhile on the 5870 vs the 5850? And do you still have to devote a core to the gpu client (sorry it's been a while that was how it used to work). Should I be running multiple smp clients or a single instance? When they first put out SMP it was one instance per 2 cores was teh "rule" for maximizing SMP

BTW running Win7 x64

ATI cards no matter which will not do well in folding, not to mention that they are also very cpu intensive without doing some hacking as has been detailed in a few threads. Stanford has just not released a decent ATI client unfortunately.

You will be running a single Windows SMP client on each box. If you have not done so, make sure you get a passkey so that you can start getting bonus points after you fold a minimum of 10 A3 SMP work units. This should be your priority as your ppd averages will be terrible until you start getting the bonus. When you use the -smp flag, it will take care of everything for you and utilize all of your cores. Welcome back! I'm pretty new to folding myself, and it has been one fun ride.

BTW running Win7 x64

Getting "unable to email passkey" when I try to download that....

like apollo said.. just 1 smp client.. the -smp flag will allow the smp client to load up all available cores/threads.. things have improved a lot since the days of having to run that pos 2x2 core notfred VMware client over a year ago..

Hehe yeah the old SMP client was a serious POS.. Had to constantly monitor that thing and restart it it all the time..

Does it matter if I have a passkey? It still won't email me one

Hehe yeah the old SMP client was a serious POS.. Had to constantly monitor that thing and restart it it all the time..
Tell me about it....

Does it matter if I have a passkey? It still won't email me one
To receive the bonus you do. Your PPD will be lousy without it.

any idea why the hell it won't send me one? This is the frustration stuff that made folding not much fun anymore the first go around (I mean come on... email me a word.. is it all that difficult?)

any idea why the hell it won't send me one? This is the frustration stuff that made folding not much fun anymore the first go around (I mean come on... email me a word.. is it all that difficult?)
Honestly, I do not know. I would post a thread at the FF if this lack of correspondence persists. Glad to see you're getting back to folding as a stronger presence, Tormond. It has been ages since I last saw you post. :)

This actually might have something to do with your email provider and not Stanford. I have 3 different email addresses and couldn't get a passkey at all no matter how many times I requested to my main email address. I then tried my second and couldn't get any passkeys. I finally had one sent to my backup email address and it arrived instantly.

I noticed lately that my main email provider is really filtering a lot of necessary crap that should be reaching my inbox. A friend of mine has been trying to send me an email for a long time except I never recieve it. I finally had him send it to my backup email address and it arrived instantly.

Honestly, I do not know. I would post a thread at the FF if this lack of correspondence persists. Glad to see you're getting back to folding as a stronger presence, Tormond. It has been ages since I last saw you post. :)

hehe yeah my job has me running around a ton and I just havent had much time to do much of anything besides drive and sleep. Not to mention the 2 little girls that take up a bit of my time :)

This actually might have something to do with your email provider and not Stanford. I have 3 different email addresses and couldn't get a passkey at all no matter how many times I requested to my main email address. I then tried my second and couldn't get any passkeys. I finally had one sent to my backup email address and it arrived instantly.

I noticed lately that my main email provider is really filtering a lot of necessary crap that should be reaching my inbox. A friend of mine has been trying to send me an email for a long time except I never recieve it. I finally had him send it to my backup email address and it arrived instantly.

It isn't a problem on my end Stanford is never sending me anything. I literally hit "get passkey" and it immediately says "can't send passkey". I have tried my work email, my personal email and my gmail account all of them blow up with the exact same message

Yeh, you never notice filtering untill it goes wrong.

its a problem on stanfords end.. just tried it with one of my old donor names and it failed as well..

Oh well I will just let it fold this untit and try again after it is done. No biggie just seeing if it was something I was doing wrong (not sure how that would be but hey anythings possible)

Last edited:
Whew! Glad i passed you when I did...I thought the name looked familiar. Welcome back!

hehe yeah my job has me running around a ton and I just havent had much time to do much of anything besides drive and sleep. Not to mention the 2 little girls that take up a bit of my time :)

It isn't a problem on my end Stanford is never sending me anything. I literally hit "get passkey" and it immediately says "can't send passkey". I have tried my work email, my personal email and my gmail account all of them blow up with the exact same message

Ahh, I thought you were just not getting an email. In my case, they were sending the email but my provider wasn't allowing it to recieve.

its a problem on stanfords end.. just tried it with one of my old donor names and it failed as well..

Yeh, you never notice filtering untill it goes wrong.

It is even worse when a spammer has spoofed your email address causing it to end up on blacklists.

Oh well I will just let it fold this untit and try again after it is done. No biggie just seeing if it was something I was doing wrong (not sure how that would be but hey anythings possible)

If you are still unable to obtain a passkey, definately post over at the folding forums and hopefully they will get the problem resolved. You came back at the right time since we are trying to hold off the other team for as long as possible.

Yep I got it...

When doing a 2685 via SMP on a i7-920 how long should each step take (roughly?) This is non overclocked.. Just seems a bit slow on my rig

I'd guess in the 50+ minute range at stock speeds. I can't say I have ever run one at stock speeds... :)

heh stability is more important to me (and quiet) than a few extra Mhz.. if I want/need a faster CPU I just buy the one that has the speed I need :)

Seems like I am running between 35 and 50 minutes per step (seems to fluctuate)..

Also oddly enough it seems to run MUCH faster after I turned "Go to sleep after 20 minuntes" off :)

That actually sounds very decent for a stock 920.

Just an FYI that they fixed the passkey issue. It was spam filter problem on their end of things.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=15314

These spam filters are getting out of control. I'm glad that it was on their end of things, but it is still out of control as they are getting overly aggressive.

Yep I got it...

When doing a 2685 via SMP on a i7-920 how long should each step take (roughly?) This is non overclocked.. Just seems a bit slow on my rig

While I don't know about the 2685's, I can tell you that you will not be able to finish any 2684's by the deadline at your current speeds. Right now, 3.4ghz is absolutely the bare minimum in order to meet the deadline on 2684's, and that is if nothing unexpected happens. At 3.46ghz, I am brushing up very close to the 4 day deadline as the 2684's are taking me 3.7 days to finish.

You also have to factor in the amount of time it will take to upload the beast once it is done. A typical bigadv upload clocks in at between 94-101mb.

I try to setup spam filtering on the more lenient side. It's better to have a little bit of spam come through to users, if it means less false positives.

I am more than likely going to switch off -bigadv when this WU finishes and just run stock -smp. I have to reset it to use my passkey anyway but going to wait until this WU is done. I have no desire to OC my PC and mess with that so if I need to switch to avoid turning in WU that they are just going to discard (which has always kinda grated my nerves) then I will do that. I am not in this for the PPD but the science (and I find it interesting)

On the spam filtering we actually only deliver about 2% of all email that comes to our exchange server (and probably half of that gets hit with the local side spam filter). it is amazing the amount of pure shit that gets sent via Email

These spam filters are getting out of control. I'm glad that it was on their end of things, but it is still out of control as they are getting overly aggressive.

While I don't know about the 2685's, I can tell you that you will not be able to finish any 2684's by the deadline at your current speeds. Right now, 3.4ghz is absolutely the bare minimum in order to meet the deadline on 2684's, and that is if nothing unexpected happens. At 3.46ghz, I am brushing up very close to the 4 day deadline as the 2684's are taking me 3.7 days to finish.

You also have to factor in the amount of time it will take to upload the beast once it is done. A typical bigadv upload clocks in at between 94-101mb.

cant blame the spam filters.. blame the idiots reporting the emails as spam thus they get added into a spam filter database and most of the major email providers use that for their spam filter.. its just like bogus viruses.. enough people report something as a virus that isnt a virus it effects everyone else that uses the same file..

I am more than likely going to switch off -bigadv when this WU finishes and just run stock -smp. I have to reset it to use my passkey anyway but going to wait until this WU is done. I have no desire to OC my PC and mess with that so if I need to switch to avoid turning in WU that they are just going to discard (which has always kinda grated my nerves) then I will do that. I am not in this for the PPD but the science (and I find it interesting)
Why are you so against overclocking? When done right there is no risk to any of your components and your computer can still be completely stable.

Why are you so against overclocking? When done right there is no risk to any of your components and your computer can still be completely stable.

to go 3.8 or 4.0 like some of us do can be a pain. going 3.4 would be 100% painless. provided you dont have the stock cooler.

to go 3.8 or 4.0 like some of us do can be a pain. going 3.4 would be 100% painless. provided you dont have the stock cooler.

3.8 is painless.. 4.0 is a friggin bitch and half.. but then again i hate overclocking intel processors and love my unlocked multiplier on my phenom II 940 :p

3.8 is painless.. 4.0 is a friggin bitch and half.. but then again i hate overclocking intel processors and love my unlocked multiplier on my phenom II 940 :p
Hitting 4GHz was a joke for me. The first settings I tried worked like a charm.

Hitting 4GHz was a joke for me. The first settings I tried worked like a charm.

yeah ive heard a lot of mixed responses hitting 4 ghz on the 920.. some did it easily like you and some it was just a pain in the ass messing with various voltages but im sure that had to do more with the motherboards then the processor..

I agree as there is really no danger so long as you are running quality components with good cooling. If you are worried about longevity, you can always stick with a mild overclock like me.

If you need help, these are some of the most knowledgable people around and will help you just as well as they helped me overclock my 930. Once you put a good air cooler on and make sure your case is well ventilated, not overclocking is like not tapping into free processing power. That is probably why there is an article on the front page today that claims Intel is going to get rid of overclocking once Sandy Bridge comes out.

I quit messing with overclocking at the same time I quit building my own boxes. 20+ years of building my own stuff and I am just tired of tweaking it all. I just buy a performance box from Dell and let it be done at this point. It runs everything I throw at it with no issues at all (and with no overclocking) and I have no headaches either. For the price I could not have built a comparable box and if this one blows up I just make a phone call and let someone else come fix it vs me having to mess with warranty crap and being down extended periods while I ship stuff back and forth.

To be honest I havent even looked to see if this box WILL overclock. More than likely not as it IS a Dell but hey that was never my plan anyway :)

In short I just don't have the time/energy/will to mess with it like I used to. I just want a box that is fast for what I use it for, works when I hit the power button, and has reasonably headache free support ( I spend a LOT of cash with Dell so I have dedicated support)

I quit messing with overclocking at the same time I quit building my own boxes. 20+ years of building my own stuff and I am just tired of tweaking it all. I just buy a performance box from Dell and let it be done at this point. It runs everything I throw at it with no issues at all (and with no overclocking) and I have no headaches either. For the price I could not have built a comparable box and if this one blows up I just make a phone call and let someone else come fix it vs me having to mess with warranty crap and being down extended periods while I ship stuff back and forth.

To be honest I havent even looked to see if this box WILL overclock. More than likely not as it IS a Dell but hey that was never my plan anyway :)

In short I just don't have the time/energy/will to mess with it like I used to. I just want a box that is fast for what I use it for, works when I hit the power button, and has reasonably headache free support ( I spend a LOT of cash with Dell so I have dedicated support)

Fair enough.

But I will say that I can build a box cheaper than dell. I might use creative methods, but fairly easily done.

My last i7 rig a built was $425 bucks.

Fair enough.

But I will say that I can build a box cheaper than dell. I might use creative methods, but fairly easily done.

My last i7 rig a built was $425 bucks.

Hehe yeah I have built one or two (thousand) in my day. The video card in my current box was more than $425 the cheapest place I could find it at the time :) And everything in my box is 100% legit (OS/software/etc) which is important to me....

I could probably have saved $100 in total over the price I paid for the Dell with the same specs but that would have been parts only, no cost in time/headache/warranty etc. I did actually look before I went this route and this just made more sense to me in the long run (I use this for doing mkv encodes of my HD DVDs/BDs/DVDs for streaming in my house and that is seriously about all it does.. figured I wasnt doing any right now so I would do some folding on it and raise the temp in this room by 20 degrees or so :)

Back