Quietest acceptable 120mm fan for a heatsink?

beacon

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I know there are plenty of threads discussing generally quiet fans, but I'm looking specifically at one for my heatsink.

I'm looking at some quiet fans to put on my heatsink (S1283). Naturally, it must pack both pressure and CFM... as well as be quiet.

It's difficult for me to undervolt so I'd probably be looking for something that's quieter than Yate Loons (34 dba at 12v) or Tricool on Low at 12V. The stock Xigmatek was even worse than these two.

I was looking at the S-Flex low or mediums, which SPCR tested to be 20 and 23 dba, respectively. But people say they have shit for pressure.

Any other choices out there?

Thanks!

Thin fans are not so good in general, ones with more depth will keep the pressure high.
This fan sounds excellent.
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/silenx-ixtrema-pro-120mm-quiet-case-fan-ixp-76-18-p-16545.html

SilenX Ixtrema Pro 120mm 18 dB Quiet Case Fan - IXP-76-18

The new SilenX Ixtrema Pro Series Quiet Fans feature the first fan blade designed for optimal airflow and aerodynamics. SilenX iXtrema Pro Series Quiet Fans are the result of thousands of hours of testing and fluid dynamics simulations. The result is a fan that can push more air per revolution at lower noise levels than any other fan available and proof that SilenX delivers the best in silent computing. Reduced motor size, increase fan blade surface, lower lateral surface area on the motor vanes along with silicon-composite fan mounts puts this fan above the rest.

Features:

* Conical motor design for best aerodynamics
* Titanium powder-coated metallic finish
* 400mm slim profile UV reactive cable
* 3-pin connector with RPM tachometer sensor
* 3 to 4-pin converter cable included
* Hybrid bearings for minimal vibration
* Silicon-composite fan mounts
* Greatest airflow to noise ratio

Fan Specifications:

* IXP-76-18
* Noise Level: 18 dB
* Size: 120 x 120 x 38 mm
* Fan Speed: 1400 RPM
* Air Flow: 90 CFM
* Operating Voltage: 8-14v
* Current Draw: 0.24A
* Power Consumption: 2.88w
* Bearings Type: Hybrid Sleeve

Thin fans are not so good in general, ones with more depth will keep the pressure high.
This fans sounds excellent but I dont know how deep it is.
http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/silenx-ixtrema-pro-120mm-quiet-case-fan-ixp-76-18-p-16545.html
it does state
"Greatest airflow to noise ratio"
So it might live up to expectation.

I've heard some very negative things about SilenX. Namely that the stated specs and delivered product differ wildly. They grossly overstate specs.

Heh you caught me in the middle of an edit :)
I cant speak for previous SilenX fans but this does sound like it could be just the ticket even if it falls short by 30%

Yeah, the other posts I've read have been shitting on Silenx.

If we're talking about fans in terms of thickness... how about the Scythe Ultra Kazes?

Hmm, thanks for those.

I am leaning toward the S-Flex Mediums (E version)

Even the S-flex Fs are really quiet - I had one on my Ultra-120 and it was quieter than the rest of my case.

can't judge a fan by looking at the specs

Yate Loons L and M speeds are certainly no where near loud or at the very least no where near 34db compared to other fan makes (lol@silenx)

Unless you had a faulty Tri-cool, on low speed it should be very quiet, the only problem is tri-cools don't shift that much air on low.

Noise will always depend on the person, I find an S-Flex F too loud for 24/7 use (I have 3 on fan controller), but undervolted to about 1200rpm its very very quiet.
On that basis I'd say S-Flex E would be the ticket if you don't have a controller, I would also recommend the Yate Loon low speed, too, less than half the price of the S-Flex (in UK)

I can say from experience do not get the Silenx. I have 4 that I don't use and never will.

I swapped them out for the Scythe S-flex E. They are much quieter in my opinion. I would not suggest using a fan controller with the S-flex if you get them. They tend to get louder, IE clicking, humming and more tonal. Thats from me using them and other reviews.

When using the fan, I would set it to pull through the heatsink instead of push if you are going for quiet. It worked out better for me.

This fan sounds excellent.

SilenX Ixtrema Pro 120mm 18 dB Quiet Case Fan - IXP-76-18

The new SilenX Ixtrema Pro Series Quiet Fans feature the first fan blade designed for optimal airflow and aerodynamics. SilenX iXtrema Pro Series Quiet Fans are the result of thousands of hours of testing and fluid dynamics simulations. The result is a fan that can push more air per revolution at lower noise levels than any other fan available and proof that SilenX delivers the best in silent computing. Reduced motor size, increase fan blade surface, lower lateral surface area on the motor vanes along with silicon-composite fan mounts puts this fan above the rest.

+1 for the silenx, first boot i freaked and turned the comp off cuz i couldnt hear the fan at all, looked inside case and saw it spinning back down

can't judge a fan by looking at the specs

Yate Loons L and M speeds are certainly no where near loud or at the very least no where near 34db compared to other fan makes (lol@silenx)

Unless you had a faulty Tri-cool, on low speed it should be very quiet, the only problem is tri-cools don't shift that much air on low.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I bought a Antec P180 with Tricools a few years ago and they, on low, are MUCH quieter than the new Tricools I got with my new P180 a few days ago.

Same thing with Yate Loons, they're pretty loud IMO on 12V low settings. :/

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I bought a Antec P180 with Tricools a few years ago and they, on low, are MUCH quieter than the new Tricools I got with my new P180 a few days ago.

Same thing with Yate Loons, they're pretty loud IMO on 12V low settings. :/

fake yate loons are louder than legit ones, so are you sure you have real ones?

I've had legit/fake yateloons and they both aren't that quiet.

My stock LianLi's have been quieter tbh.

The LianLi's don't push a TON of air, but they keep my Q6600 @ 3.0ghz (with xigmatek) at mid 30's idle, and mid 50's load in a hottish~ room. mid 20's idle when it's colder :D (This is in a K7B with 2 x 120 intake, and 1 120 exhaust)

Just want to chime in regarding SilenX fans. I've had 7 120mm SilenX fans and 6 of them broke within 6 months of purchase while running at a stock 12 volts. 5 of them are still running if I connect them but they vibrate/rumble indicating that the bearing is hosed. The 6th one that broke did so catastrophically, meaning the fan has tilted inside the frame and won't budge at all anymore. When I noticed it had stopped running it was to hot to touch so I had to shut down my computer and let the fan cool down before I could remove it. I would also bet that the 7th one will break soon if I ever dare dig it out of the box-of-many-computer-parts and hook it back up.

So it's safe to say I won't ever touch any product from SilenX again.

Personally I'm now running with Noctua fans. I got a P12 fan on my cpu cooler and 3 S12-1200 fans in my P180 case.

Back