Radeon HD 3870 and HD 3850

snowysnowcones

[H]ard|Gawd
05RADEON.jpg

06RADEON.jpg

Hawt.
awesome.gif

http://www.tomshardware.com/cn/119,news-119.html ---- translated

I'll gladly go back to ATI next gen if they can get something decent out.

Ditto. That and a release date (though there's probably one out there that I've just managed to miss somehow...).

Really hope that ATI has something on par with Nvidia's offerings. We need a good ol' fashioned price war in this industry.

Waiting to see how these turn out. I have high hopes for the 3870 with the dual slot or whatever it is called. All I want is something until the R700/G9? (can actually really play DX10 games) fight is decided. I actually made a seperate savings account for the nextgen. I have a 680i board but I'm really rooting for ATI/AMD.

made with 55nm (skipping 65nm on the high end) for ati seems to be a successful move! It'll fix the biggest issues regarding the 2900series, IMO, heat and power. Since this will probalby be of higher performance, this is a great + for ATI/AMD. Good job, ATI.

Really hope that ATI has something on par with Nvidia's offerings. We need a good ol' fashioned price war in this industry.

I hope they beat Nvidia, not offer something equal to them.

Just wanna play Crysis on max ultra super duper settings.

HD3870, "yeah ill believe that when my shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet".

I will boycott AMD/ATi if they decide to mix it up with the numbers like that. Which they won't since they spend millions of dollars on marketing which would know thats stupid to call something the HD3870. I was pissed off enough when they went from x to HD.

sweet this means if the cards can actually hold there wait it will drive the 2900 series and the geforce 8800 down in price which means there will be some sweet deals on the forums ;):eek::D

HD3870, "yeah ill believe that when my shit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbet".

I will boycott AMD/ATi if they decide to mix it up with the numbers like that. Which they won't since they spend millions of dollars on marketing which would know thats stupid to call something the HD3870. I was pissed off enough when they went from x to HD.

What the heck does a number matter if it gives you good performance?

if this is even close to true, that literally means respin with a clock bump... lower process so itll be cooler (a LOT cooler with that big of a jump 0_0 )

im doubtful considering the cooler is so big for such a small process...

A new generation name for a refresh? It hardly looks like a refreash, more like a die shrink, and they cut the bus in half. This looks more like a step sideways than anything else.

So your THAT worried about numbers? :eek: You must have a simple life to let something like that get you fired up..:p

I think the fad of using X's to make the product look "more eXtreme" has finally worn off.
Go ahead and boycott them. I think your the only one that cares.
A new generation name for a refresh? It hardly looks like a refreash, more like a die shrink, and they cut the bus in half. This looks more like a step sideways than anything else.
The RV670 chips should perform better than the R600 chips.

AA should be fixed (according to rumours.)
Thermal and Power requirements are much lower...comparable to the X1900's.
DX10.1 compliant (not too important)
UVD is now onboard.

And the bus is cut in half for a reason.
It requires a less complex PCB=lower cost
It requires a less complex GPU=lower cost
The 256bit design is already proven in the X1x series.
It lowers the cost and increases reliability.
Bigger isn't always better...

Offset the lack of bandwidth from the memory controller with extremely fast (and now readily available) GDDR4, and you get more than enough bandwidth. It still doesn't have the same amount of bandwidth as the 512bit controller on the R600, but its still more than efficient. The R600 didn't even use it to its full potential.

These cards are more powerful, cheaper, require less power, and put out less heat. Who cares if ATI decided to take a step back on certain features that don't truly enhance the performance and only add cost and complexity. I think its a brilliant design move. Soon we will be able to have decent cards for a lot less money. And since Nvidia is releasing the GT in the same price range, hopefully the GTX's will come down in price too.

So your THAT worried about numbers? :eek: You must have a simple life to let something like that get you fired up..:p

Well I mean how do we know this information is even remotely legit?, how are we so sure that someone isn't just making something up for ad impressions? I Mean thats sort of the price you pay for online journalism, where quantity of stories trumps quality of them. Now i'm sure theirs some legit information out there, but some speculation is just beyond logical.

Why would ATi call this new card the HD3870 pro, What is causing them to make this name change. Whats logical is say when nvidia went from the 90mm fixed pipeline DX9 design, to the 90mm programmable shader DX10 compatible design would be cause enough to justify a change from series 7 to series 8.

All ati is doing here is going from 80nm R600 chip to 65 or 55 nm (I still don't buy that this chip is going to be 55nm when they are 5 months fresh from their first 65nm design which only was a midrange chip. The chip is basically the same, it still uses 320 shader units, the design of those hasn't changed, they have (or assuming they have) tweaked with other aspects of the chip to fix its shortcomings faced with the R600 design. I just don't see this as a re-invention of their gpu design, enough to warrant a radical (and oddly numbered) name change.

Rumor number two which is in jeopardy as we speak is why the 8800GT according to foxconn isn't a "G92" chip which has been speculated since june, but "G96" which they put on their site for 2-3 days intill it was taken down. Human error of course is always possible, But I would sooner trust foxconn who no doubt already have cards boxed and shipped to etailers and OEM's would know more about this card than vr-zones possibly arbitrary source.

I gave you two or three good reasons why this card isn't going to be called the HD3870 something or other, can you give me one good reason why it will be?

Honestly, does it matter what its called?
AMD could change it due to marketing reasons.
Your right, the amount of changes don't really warrant making it a 3000 instead of a 2000 series. But when have names been about anything other than marketing?

Average joe might see another 29xx series card and still think it sucks as bad as the 2900XT because he heard from a friend of a friend who read it on the internet...:rolleyes:

Most enthusiasts don't care what the name is as long as the performance is there.
Let's just call the damn thing the Flying Rainbow Purple Shit Eater 5000, and be done with it.:D

Remember the glory months of the X1900? Methinks ATI will have some of that glory again soon, and it won't hurt the customer's wallet as bad either.

The new, much improved, much less expensive product really does deserve and rate a new naming scheme.

I've got a feeling that they are way better than even ATI thought they'd be. Enough better to justify new line plus I do agree that they want to distance from 29xx. 256 bus is plenty. Don't forget clockspeed plus refinements.

On paper, R6xx should be a monster. Maybe they figured out how to move it from the paper?

Remember the glory months of the X1900? Methinks ATI will have some of that glory again soon, and it won't hurt the customer's wallet as bad either.

The new, much improved, much less expensive product really does deserve and rate a new naming scheme.

no, i don't remember that, i remember the glory of 9700, without "x" or "HD", but...well, maybe that's not in your age.

They added the X to the gen's after the 9 series so their 10 series wouldn't be 10700, 10800. The X was a nice fit IMO but regardless, names are lame.

I've got a feeling that they are way better than even ATI thought they'd be. Enough better to justify new line plus I do agree that they want to distance from 29xx. 256 bus is plenty. Don't forget clockspeed plus refinements.

On paper, R6xx should be a monster. Maybe they figured out how to move it from the paper?

Hence the reason for the name change. If they fixed the abysmal "last-gen" AA performance, and improved other aspects that which blew chunks in R600 (and all signs point to yes) then we truly have some awesome cards in the pipe from DAAMiT. I haven't owned ATi since the R300/350 days. If they deliver I will gladly ditch my SLI motherboard and nVidia hardware and turn redcoat like I was debating not long ago.

I won't be ditching my 680i board but I will damn sure plop an ATI card in there if they bring the beef.

One of the best systems I had was an nForce 2 board with a 9700 in it.

I really just want something that will make it 6-9months till R700 and the real G9? show up to duke it out.

nösferatu;1031563620 said:
no, i don't remember that, i remember the glory of 9700, without "x" or "HD", but...well, maybe that's not in your age.

Actually, I remember when the EGA Wonder was hot shit...I referred to the X1900 days because I was pretty sure most folks could remember back that far, which was the last time ATI wore the performance crown.

last time. yes, but not as significant as the 9700, IMO x1900 still trading blows pretty much at that time.

And the RV670 will be duking it out in a 15 round split decision with Nvidia, rather than clearly dominating like the 9700 did.

Don't you think you're being a little extreme (to be euphemistic)? Product nomenclature has no bearing on performance, which should be the primary measure of a product's potential appeal. When AMD released the name 'Athlon' for its new processor line years ago, many in the industry scoffed at it. I do not need to recount that brand name's successful history since it's release at the beginning of the decade.

They are probably renaming it to the 3000 series to get these new cards as far away from the stench of the 2900XT as possible :p. Unless, of course, these new cards suck too...
Skipping a die shrink is probably sufficient to warrant a 'generational' shift in product nomenclature for marketing purposes. I would do the same in AMD's position. Seems like they're doing that throughout their product range this year, which is an overall good if not necessary strategy.

*If

They fixed the AA.

They fixed the memory latency.

Shrunk the thing smaller than my peeper in a cold shower.

Raised the clock speed.

Added faster memory.

Made it cheeper for consumers.

This is a bonified win for ATi not so much for being competitive again but for picking themselves up and dusting off the mistakes and getting back on the horse.

You have to love a company for really digging deep and making it happen.

Don't forget DX10.1 shader model 4.1 and PCI-e 2.0. More and more I can see the 3xxx being justified.

Don't forget DX10.1 shader model 4.1 and PCI-e 2.0. More and more I can see the 3xxx being justified.

DX10.1 only adds mandatory 4xAA and a few other tweaks, its more of an update than what 9.0c to 10 was. But whatever justifies the idiocy.

I tend to agree with this. My guess is yields are a lot better than anticipated, so they have been able to get the core clock up a lot (possibly around 1 Ghz?).

The 850Mhz part could well OC to 1Ghz. I don't think anyone would argue that an extra 75-100Mhz is built in just for headroom which the OC'ers will immediately exploit. From there it might take an aftermarket air or possibly watercooler but 1Ghz will fall with this card.

If the rumors are true........

Plus, if 10.1 adds mandatory 4x AA....................interesting.

The 850Mhz part could well OC to 1Ghz. I don't think anyone would argue that an extra 75-100Mhz is built in just for headroom which the OC'ers will immediately exploit. From there it might take an aftermarket air or possibly watercooler but 1Ghz will fall with this card.

If the rumors are true........

Plus, if 10.1 adds mandatory 4x AA....................interesting.

I think I should change what I said about the AA, I don't think their will be a mandatory level of AA rendering, but DX10.1 makes provisions for implementing AA which ties into their standard where AA before was simply an after effect. IE developers will have to code in AA into their graphics engines. Or atleast that what ive gathered from what ive read.

Ive read stories that 10.1 wasn't compatible with 10 cards, then I read another story of microsoft refuting that saying it will work on 10.0 cards, ive also read that the actual specification for 10.1 doesn't exist yet (hasn't been ratified) and is still subject to change.

Back