RAID5 Drive gone after OC?

Hey guys. I was doing some overclocking on my i7 920, put it up to 3.2ghz and ran Prime95. It got through the first 6 just fine, but then the system locked.

Anywho, now I've rebooted and it says it doesn't have the RAID driver, and it's not showing my RAID volume.

My question is, is all the data lost? Or if I get the drivers and controller installed, it will be able to rebuild the volume? It says it found new hardware and asked to format the drives to use them, I said no.

Anyone got a clue on how to proceed? If I lose the information, it's not the end of the world, but I'd rather not if I can help it. I was under the impression that's why putting the 3 drives in raid5 was good, because it would have parity.

Thanks in advance.

I had installed the chipset/driver disk when I set the pc up, and it has the JMicron RIAD driver, and then the intel chipset drivers.

Quite honestly, I can't remember if it was using a built in Intel controller.

What would happen if I install the raid drivers? Will it try to rebuild the raid volume and save the data, or will it try to make a new raid volume and remove the data? I mean, it should all still be on the drives, correct?

Your data should still all be there.

If you get the drivers setup again it should just recognize your RAID volume....Im afraid if you do a rebuild it will wipe your drives and then your data will be gone.

Installed the driver through the manager and rebooted. When it reboots it's says "raid controller found, spinning up" and then "no physical disk" and "no virtual disk".

How do you get in to set it up to recognize the drives?

This sounds like something I'd do and then kick myself for! Oh WHY do I always tinker. My last doh' exp. was driving a screwdriver through a trace on a BRAND NEW motherboard as I was trying to reseat a heatsink to hopefuly get a degree or two cooler temps on my O/C. Since it was my fault, I didn't send it in under warranty. I didn't feel right about RMAing it as bad when I caused it.

subscribed to follow this through to resolution! Good luck man!

My only consolation at this point is the fact that the drives are still in tact. If I go into the disc manager in windows, it shows 2 of the drives as ok, and the third one as non-partitioned. I can't get into the raid configuration though. It recognizes all 3 drives, but I can't open up the raid menu.

EDIT: A system restore wouldn't do anything right, because the raid is configured in the bios?

Just as a precaution, I've hooked up my old tower and started running some data recovery programs. This one called Restoration has actually found a lot of the stuff that was lost in the raid array, not everything, but a lot of old stuff that was not replaceable. I'll see what I can recover, and then if I can't find a solution here I may just format all the drives and start the raid over.

In case I do, what exactly should I do to start the raid back up? Format all 3 drives first?

Ok, I grabbed everything I needed and I'm goign to start over. this time, no overclocking, lol

Problem is, I've now got 3 empty formatted drives, and then my OS drive. When I go into the raid bios, it gives me "adapter 0" but it says it finds no physical disk and no virtual disc. The raid tab itself on the top is greyed out. How do you go about setting up a fresh raid 5 array?

I tried looking in the advanced options and changing sata #1 from IDE to RAID mode, but then it wouldn't boot from my OS drive, I had to throw a windows disc in to boot from. Got into windows just fine and the OS drive is still the way I left it though.

I'm really stuck here. Anyone got some advice?

Pest, My advice would be when you are able to recover your data is too dump "FAKE" RAID and use hardware only. I see to commonly people continue to post over the net problems with on board RAID. Just scares me to even think about going none hardware with RAID.

Back