Ram Issues!?

tcompton2

Limp Gawd
OK, so about 2 months ago my computer crashes, keeps stalling and rebooting during loading of OS, getting every BSOD known to man. I try re installing XP, fails a bunch of times, come to conclusion it was bad ram after swapping out my 512mb 2700 ddr crucial with some DDR 400 256 ram, which worked fine (except computer still ran somewhat slow due to lack of memory). So i RMA, comes back, same thing happens, keeps re booting. Tried to RMA again b/c i thought by some chance it was still bad RAM, came back with same issues! Now i know its prob. not a ram problem, but maybe motherboard? Why can this 256 mb work while the 512 does not? My computer worked great for about a year with the 512 configuration. What kind of hardware could be causing this? Do I need to RMA mobo? Get new kind of ram?

How about a BIOS flash, or a revisit to the BIOS to make sure the timings for the Crucial memory are okay?

OK, this may sound noobish, but I have been looking for memory timings and have seen nothing in the BIOS for the Gigabyte mobo. Where are they located, how do u change them?

I think for Gigabyte motherboard BIOSes, you have to hit Control + F1 to access advanced BIOS settings.

stalling and rebooting while loading os == hdd??

i have the same problem

OK are the Memory timings the same thing as the DRAM Clock Frequency (MHz). Because it was set on Auto. Another question, is it ok to have 1 DDR 333 and 1 DDR 400 stick in the same mobo, or must they be same speed?

Im going to try putting in the ram again and setting it to DDR333. PRAY THIS WORKS!

alright i found all of the timing settings. I know my ram should be set to 2.5 CAS, but have no clue what the other setting should be set to.
Such as, Bank Interleave, Percentage to Active (TRP), Trans Non-DDR400/DDR00, Active to CMD (Trcd)

Also, the burst length, queue depth, and command rate.

Back