Realistic? 4x32GB SSD / Sata or Pata Drive

CyberDeus-RagDoll

[H]ard|Gawd
SuperTalent has a 32GB sata port equipped (and samsung has an IDE version) drive available.

My question is, is there something about the design of these drives that make them unrealistic for a systems' SOLE drive? (other than the high cost per gigabyte). Additionally,
is it a complete waste to worry about a raid on these devices for even FURTHER speed, because they are saturating the sata/pata interface?

I have not seen any benchies showing how they perform when raid0'd (or 0+1), I've only seen single drive tests.

I'm trying to build a system with no INTERNAL moving parts, so any low power consumption (and therefore, low heat generating) items such as SSD drives are great for that.

My question is, am I on a fools errand? Will I be wasting my time by goign raid0 or raid0+1 with 4 of these drives?

RAID0 would definitely improve performance. Seeks are awesome but sustained reads/writes are just 'okay' not super impressive. RAID0 would help that.

I wouldn't bother with RAID10, just too expensive. If I had the money I'd get two in RAID0 and a external USB harddrive, 250GB or something, cheap and a copy of TrueImage... every day or so plug in the USB drive and take a snapshot. You could even use a laptop drive... only needs to be plugged in for 30 minutes to make a snapshot.

RAID1, or RAID10 over RAID0, is just alot of money thats rarely worth it unless you're dealing with critical servers where uptime is very important.

Oh yea and I wouldn't get PATA if you plan on RAID. You'd need each drive to have its own channel, worthless to do Master/Slave when using RAID. Plus if you're putting in all that money it would suck not to be able to use it in the future, PATA is quickly being replaced. Boards are down to one IDE port, at least one HD maker is stopping PATA production this year... woudl suck to invest alot of money in PATA devices.

I've seen these things get pretty lousy write seek times. I can't find a source for that, though - all the reviews seem to have been done by Tom's Hardware's competition. Read seek times are about 1ms, which makes the drives rather attractive, and general performance is quite nice, but if you happen to have a write-heavy workload, I think you'll find it disappointing. However, in general the drives should be quite nice for desktop usage.

What do you plan to do about a video card? Most of the ones I can think of, even passively-cooled, generate quite a bit of heat and require a case fan.

I've seen these things get pretty lousy write seek times. I can't find a source for that, though - all the reviews seem to have been done by Tom's Hardware's competition. Read seek times are about 1ms, which makes the drives rather attractive, and general performance is quite nice, but if you happen to have a write-heavy workload, I think you'll find it disappointing. However, in general the drives should be quite nice for desktop usage.

What do you plan to do about a video card? Most of the ones I can think of, even passively-cooled, generate quite a bit of heat and require a case fan.

"no internal moving parts" != no cooling :) Water, LN2, .. THere are many options....

BTW, the reason I'm opting for SSD is because of the other thread I'm in in this subforum :) i-Ram is too small...

Watercooling generally involves a pump, or moving water of some sort, and fans to cool the water. I'll be interested to see how it works out, though - will there be a worklog?

Watercooling generally involves a pump, or moving water of some sort, and fans to cool the water. I'll be interested to see how it works out, though - will there be a worklog?

But those pumps and fans ... DO NOT ... need to be inside the computer.. No, there won't be a worklog, Tis not my way.

This isn't about the speed. it's about the quiet, and the no moving parts. The heat output, and power consumption of a 32gb ssd drive is basically nil.

Also, that iram raid will be 8gb, (assuming 2 irams), and will cost about the same as the 32gb ssd drive.

The raptors are the bargain in this mix.

Back