Recommend a Mouse

LostSoul

n00b
I cant stand the Razer Mice...I had a Fatal1ty 1010, cord was to short, and it died. I Loved that mouse. I HATE the texture of the G5, or I would buy it without questions. I might get a MX1000 but I dont know about battery life.

Any Ideas?

logitech g5, youll get used to it or mx510 is really good but lower dpi but if u are heavy into gaming ur sensitivity should be lower anyway

They have an upgraded texture g7. The carbon fiber one has a rubber grip on the sies, that might be worth looking into unless you are against wireless

new fatal1ty mouse should be hitting the street soon.

why not call creative RMA for help with your 1010?

i currently use a G5 and it's nice. can't complain about anything with it.

i didn't really like the MX1000. it was too heavy for my liking and the laser sensor didn't like my black cloth mousepad.

jester1176 said:

i didn't really like the MX1000. it was too heavy for my liking and the laser sensor didn't like my black cloth mousepad.

Becuase then I have to wait, and the cord on this 1010 is just WAY to short. Its like 3/4 the size of usual mice

I'm very curious to try out the Fatality design - but I've read about many flaws with the current 1010 optical. I may try out their laser version when it comes out.

Right now the big mouse I'm waiting for is the G3. It's basically the G5 optics fit in the shell of the old MX-300 mouse. The best mouse I've probably ever held.

http://techgage.com/article/logitech_g3_laser_mouse

yea the G3 looks kick ass its got the G5s hardware in a M-BJ58 shell
thats just win

Wally said:
Heh, to me that looks almost identical to a copperhead :rolleyes:

If it weren't for the different shell, different laser engine, and different buttons - you'd be right!

PoweredBySoy said:
If it weren't for the different shell, different laser engine, and different buttons - you'd be right!

Not to mention, better company.

I have a 510, did have also a 1010 didnt like it like you said cord was short and died on me in a few months. So I went out and got a mx1000, way to heavy plus I dropped it on the floor and died and went and got my money back and got the 510, my 510 works great never had a problem with it at all.

PoweredBySoy said:

I'm talking shape.
And if it's the same laser engine as the G5, as it says in that there article, it is the same laser engine.
Sorry.

Also:
mozes said:
So I went out and got a mx1000, way to heavy plus I dropped it on the floor and died

Laughing aloud.

I'm suprised no one mentioned the MX518 yet. I love the mouse, hate the drivers.

artimasz said:
I'm suprised no one mentioned the MX518 yet. I love the mouse, hate the drivers.

Beat me to it. Great mouse, plus it doesn't have the annoying texture as on the G5 and it's cheaper. Oh yeah and it has two side buttons... :D

I am surprised that a lot of so called gamers are actually trying to sell the idea that a G5/G7 with its high DPI is better. As a gamer I can assure you, you will never game at 2000DPI simply because it's too sensitive and even if you reduce the mouse multiplier to 1x you will have accomplished nothing but return to an equivalent lower DPI. I suggest the MX518 and the Microsoft Intellimouse V3.0 for gaming as they are by far the best performance/price mouse and amazingly reliable for FPS games.

Wally said:
I'm talking shape.

Well yes, Wally. You are right. They are both shaped like a mouse.

And while it may or may not use the same laser, the internals components that control said laser are still different. I've purchased two separate Copperheads in the past - both of which had a severe amount of negative acceleration (yes, updated firmware). The G5, which I borrowed from a friend, does not. I would personally own a G5 if I didn't find them so bulky.

PoweredBySoy said:
Well yes, Wally. You are right. They are both shaped like a mouse.

And while it may or may not use the same laser, the internals components that control said laser are still different. I've purchased two separate Copperheads in the past - both of which had a severe amount of negative acceleration (yes, updated firmware). The G5, which I borrowed from a friend, does not. I would personally own a G5 if I didn't find them so bulky.

Sure, i'm not disputing that, or that you prefer blahblah, switched for this reason etc - couldn't give two cocks. I was merely remarking on how similar it looks to a copperhead to me, and responding to your comment about the laser. I'm a bit bemused by the simple fact that you've decided to interpret something in my original post as something to get defensive about and start justifying your purchases. I said that it looks like a frigging copperhead to me, not that it is a shit mouse and the copperhead is better and you suck because you chose the G5 etc etc.:rolleyes:

wtburnette said:
Beat me to it. Great mouse, plus it doesn't have the annoying texture as on the G5 and it's cheaper. Oh yeah and it has two side buttons... :D

MX518 ftw. I don't know how people live without a back and forward button.

BTW, I own a G5 and the wheel is not good at all. It's way to sensitive and using the wheel as a 3rd button is practically unfeasable in games as it will scroll. The MX518 has a much better wheel.

Mx 518 is great... however that new logi looks intersting. What alwasy held me back from laser was the fact they didn't put 2 side buttons... how hard was that?

Ya how hard is it to put 2 sides buttons? Well Logitech sell the G5 as a gamers mouse so in their view they are useless...

For now, the 518 all the way.
I have no clue why they actually got rid of the second side button for the laser mice. I was going to get one for sure until I noticed that.
I used to be an intellimouse explorer fan, but the recent ones are uncomfortable IMO.
The MX1000 is okay on paper, but the software logitech uses to map the other buttons unfortunately makes the side buttons stick (on the software end). They have acknowledged this and not fixed it for 2 years, so it looks like they never will.
Until someone makes a laser mouse with more buttons (I'm still waiting for a mouse with 4 front buttons...), the 518's the best one I've used that's still on the market.

the lazer that looks like the 310 looks nice.. kinda small but watever

-=Antimatter=- said:
Tilt wheel right/left on the G5 :p
Just Picked up a MX400 for 19.99 at bestbuy. It is AWESOME. (Same thing as MX610, but corded) Forward + Back Buttons, Tilt Wheel, and it has 1600DPI. For a laser mouse, and 19.99. I beleive it was a STEAL.

jester1176 said:

The G5 is far from perfect. Problems off the top of my head: the woven cord is too stiff; the texture gets greasy after sweating from long stints of play; the Setpoint Drivers are WAAAAY too big; the mouse wheel skips; there is no forward browsing button on the side; laser technology is still immature and has trouble tracking very fast movements on black surfaces; and the mousewheel is too hard to click. The weight system is also completely useless.

krameriffic said:
The G5 is far from perfect. Problems off the top of my head: the woven cord is too stiff; the texture gets greasy after sweating from long stints of play; the Setpoint Drivers are WAAAAY too big; the mouse wheel skips; there is no forward browsing button on the side; laser technology is still immature and has trouble tracking very fast movements on black surfaces; and the mousewheel is too hard to click. The weight system is also completely useless.

I don't own one and don't know about most of your statements above, but I do know the weight system is not completely useless. We have quite a few people at our monthly LAN parties who use this mouse and they happen to like the weights. Some think the mouse is too light out of the box, so they add weights until the feel of the mouse is right to them. I've heard the same feedback from reviews and other gaming sites. I used one for about an hour and can honestly say the mouse felt more responsive and "right" to me with about half of the weights in the mouse then it did without the weights.

krameriffic said:

The woven cord is stiff and awkward, but I don't see how the texture is any worse in terms of sweat than a mouse like the mx518 that has a glossy surface.

As I said above, the tilt wheel left and right motions may be bound to keystrokes like any other button, so in reality it has the same number of buttons as the mx518 (5 bindable+wheel click).

There is a firmware update which fixes that tracking on black surfaces that has been available for about a year.

The mouse wheel is difficult to click with accuracy.

-=Antimatter=- said:
The woven cord is stiff and awkward, but I don't see how the texture is any worse in terms of sweat than a mouse like the mx518 that has a glossy surface.

As I said above, the tilt wheel left and right motions may be bound to keystrokes like any other button, so in reality it has the same number of buttons as the mx518 (5 bindable+wheel click).

There is a firmware update which fixes that tracking on black surfaces that has been available for about a year.

The mouse wheel is difficult to click with accuracy.

Don't you think I've used the firmware update since less than a day after I purchased this mouse? It still has problems.

krameriffic said:
Don't you think I've used the firmware update since less than a day after I purchased this mouse? It still has problems.

I use a black mousepad without any trouble :confused:

The setpoint drivers take up about 8MB for me while running.

It's not perfect, but it's damn near close. Probably not worth the price premium over the 518 unless you want a tilt wheel.

My MX518 is coming in the mail Woot! Now I just need a decent mouse pad ....

Logitech G3, I find the G5 to be way too bulky for a gaming mouse.

aZn_plyR said:
My MX518 is coming in the mail Woot! Now I just need a decent mouse pad ....

Here is what I use with my 518 and I love it. Not in stock ATM, so if you want one you'll have to find another vendor... ;)

Back