Recommend me some comfortable headphones.

munkle

[H]F Junkie
So currently I use some Sennheiser HD 202 headphones, they aren't the most comfortable but they sound great to me. The cord is going bad, I had to tape it in a specific position or the right side doesn't work.

I'm hoping for some recommendations for some more comfortable headphones that sound just as good. I'd like wireless if possible while still being able to use a cord. I use these in an office so I don't know if open back is a good idea. I'm looking for $150 or less, the cheaper the better. Mostly I'm looking for the same quality sound but more comfort.

I picked up some skullycandy grind wireless headphones from bestbuy. They are more comfortable for sure but they are a notch below (music wise, slightly less bass, doesn't sound quite as clear) the HD 202 (using the cord).

You might look and see if there are some different earpad replacements you could get that would fit your headphones. I like the velour ones on my Beyer T1's. If you can solder or know someone that can solder, you can also replace the cord.

Audio-technicas with this arrangement: ATH-A900X - High-Fidelity Closed-Back Headphones | Audio-Technica are 10 hour comfortable. I have the ATH A700s and don't even notice them when they're on.

For reference, my head is largish. I wear a large Shoei motorcycle helmet, but it's a very snug fit like motorcycle helmets are designed to be. Most people wear 1 or 2 sizes larger than an expert would recommend.

The Philips SHP9500 Over-Ear Headphone Exclusive - Black-Newegg.com (Philips SHP9500s) are great if you have a large head (like me), and cost anywhere from $55-$75. Great sounding and very comfortable. There are better and more comfortable headsets than the SHP9500, but most of them cost more than $150.

I second these. They are easily the most comfortable headphones I've ever used. The cups actually fit over your entire ear with room to spare. Also the 3.5 mm cord is detachable so you won't run into the problem you did with your other headphones.

A downside is they leak a lot of sound out, so if you're listening around other people it may bother them.

Audio-technicas with this arrangement: ATH-A900X - High-Fidelity Closed-Back Headphones | Audio-Technica are 10 hour comfortable. I have the ATH A700s and don't even notice them when they're on.

For reference, my head is largish. I wear a large Shoei motorcycle helmet, but it's a very snug fit like motorcycle helmets are designed to be. Most people wear 1 or 2 sizes larger than an expert would recommend.

This. I have AD-700Xs and can wear them all day no problem. I usually forget I have them on after a few minutes.

Last edited:
I'll third the ATH line. I use their AD700's and I literally forget they are on sometimes if I don't have sound going through them for a while. Very comfortable.

My only high end cans were the ATH AD-500 of the open air type and combined with a quality output (I had the Prodigy 7.1 Hifi, Audigy 2ZS, w and w/o a CMoy amp) they did not lack bass at all despite an open-air back.
Bonus - I have worn them for 8 -12 hours at times in 85 deg F and it wasn't an issue.

I see a number of people dig that ATH headphones... personally I haaaaate the headband on all those mentioned and find them super irritating constantly feeling as if the heaphones would tumble off my head at any moment.

If you don't need the headphones to be especially portable, these are my favorite closed headphones pretty much ever (and in budget) at amazon atm, Beyerdynamic DT770. These are super comfortable (imho) and stay put on your head very well. I find the sound to be top notch, they do have a V-Shaped sound signature which I like personally.

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...?ie=UTF8&qid=1476161021&sr=8-1&keywords=dt770

if you don't need closed cans (i.e. sound leakage isn't a concern) .. the DT990's are another option (currently in budget) ... I did personally choose the DT880's over the DT990's, my DT880 Premium 250ohms are even more comfortable than the 770's.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I absolutely love my DT880 premiums. Hands down the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. Lightweight, not too aggressive as far as clamping goes, and the velvet pads are really nice. I can wear them for 7-8 hours at a stretch while working (and often have) without any discomfort. An hour or two with my gaming headphones (logitech g930) is all I can manage before my ears and the top of my head are in pain.

Most comfortable headphones I have are beyerdynamics DT990pro and Sennehiser HD558 with the HD558 being the more comfortable of the two because the cups are deeper and shaped more like an ear and not round like the DT990pro. Both are good though. Stay away from pleather pads and go for velour if you want comfort. Pleather makes your ears sweat too easy.

I stretched my money out a bit and got a pair of Fidelio X2 at about $150 when it's on sales. The SHP9500 is very well received though, and it's only $65 right now.

I can never say enough nice things about how comfortable my Sennheiser HD598s are. Fat head wearing glasses....I forget I'm wearing them. I come home from work, sit down and put them on and do my thing for the next 8 or so hours, most of which I'm not even listening to anything they are that invisible.

Back