red green dots in games

I have the 22" Gateway monitor and it runs great with a vga cable with the dvi converter thing on the graphics card. Although, when I bought a dvi-d to dvi-d cable it shows small red and green dots in games. Do I have to get the DVI-I calbe? Btw i have 2 x x1950pros for my graphics card.

Okay. For starters,

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Built-in spell check. Learn it. Use it. The earth will not stop spinning because you took the time to properly type out a post.

Second, specifically, what type of Gateway monitor do you have? (specifically, the model number) The red and green dots may be the result of a low response time in combination with the DVI cable. The basic premise here being that a VGA signal is not "native." A digital signal from your computer is being converted into analog and "interpreted" by your monitor. This interpretation lends itself to blurring of colors and some loss of detail, which may explain why you had not experienced this issue before. With a no-loss DVI connection, the transfer of information is complete, and without any "blurring" to cover up the time it takes for your monitor to change colors you instead get these red and green dots.

I'm going out to dinner in about 20 minutes, but you can expect a response later tonight to help you with troubleshooting.

Now I have to ask this for the sake of asking, but are you running your games at native resolution? The dots may be a result of a poor scaler in the monitor.

Furthermore, is it primarily an issue while moving around in a game or does it occur while standing still as well?

For example: while standing still in a game you start getting random dots like so http://img234.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dotsyc8.jpg

Lastly, what are your system specs? CPU, Hard Drives, Power Supply, etc

Now notice the emphasis on that last part there? If you have a custom build with two video cards that crave a lot of power and you decided to skimp on a power supply, it may, in fact, be dying on you.

I would recommend any PC Power and Cooling unit for a replacement. This is the one I have slated out for my next build.

Yes I am running the game at native resolution and you can even see the dots while standing still / in menus. The dots look similar to that photo and they twinkle on and off.

CPU - AMD FX-57 2.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache
CPU Cooling - Thermaltake Blue Orb II
Motherboard - Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe
Memory - 2GB Corsair XMS DDR400 SDRAM
GPU - (2) ATI Radeon® X1950 PRO CrossFire™
Hard Drive - Seagate 250GB 16MB Cache 3GB/s
Optical Drive - Sony 18x DVD-RW DL DVD
NIC - Asus Integrated dual Gigabit LAN
PSU - Thermaltake Toughpower 600W
Operating System - Windows XP Pro - SP2

And would using a DVI-D cable instead of a DVI-I cable make a difference?

Case closed. Your video cards are suffering from being underpowered thanks to another Wonderful Thermaltake Product. Go pick up a PC P&C or a Seasonic -- anything that is more reliable than the notoriously shoddy Toughpower line.

And would using a DVI-D cable instead of a DVI-I cable make a difference?

Nope. DVI-I means it is capable of carrying both DVI-D and DVI-A. Also, be aware that it is not possible to connect a male DVI-I to a female DVI-D (like the one on your monitor).

Why would a Power Supply affect some little dots on the monitor? Couldn't it just be a faulty cord or something?

sounds like DVI sparkle, which is caused by a low-quality DVI cable. I'd say to try a different cable and see if that helps.

Thanks everyone... and I would like to try the cable before switching out a power supply. What is the best DVI cable around?

Why would a Power Supply affect some little dots on the monitor? Couldn't it just be a faulty cord or something?
Ooooooh the power supply's connected to the.....motherboard.....the motherboards connected to the....video cards.....and the video cards don't have enough power to....operate their cores.....and as a result they are putting lots of.....dots on the screen....Oh mercy how they scare!

because if there was a problem with the dvi cable his screen would be flickering and spotting all the time. not just in games.

Back