Ref GTX650 quite loud?

texuspete00

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking at budget gpus and my parts closet to put together a system for my cousin, I thought he'd be better off if I gave him my GTX480 that I am currently using for PhysX, and just used something lower power for me. I swapped it out with a EVGA 650... and boy is it loud! It sits right above a Gigabyte windforce 670 (the main card), but is loud at idle, and it isn't even driving a screen. I thought the driver just needed to load or something, and the fan was running faster than required. I check precision and it's at only 20%! Very whiny and just loud altogether. :(

I don't think I'm missing anything, and instead maybe I just haven't heard a small fan for so long? My computer is way louder with this than with my 480 in there. I mean I am not a sound freak at all, but this is a bit obnoxious. Maybe the fan needs some lube or something?

Stuff I took out to make it shorter.
--

More backstory. After looking a bit for a PhyX card, about a month or two ago, I put my EVGA GTX480 SC (blower) above my Gigabyte GTX670 (tri fan model that exhausts in case) for PhysX. I figured even though my board doesn't allow space between cards, the GTX480 would only be doing PhysX, while my pricey card had room to breath. I wanted to make sure the massive stuttering in BL2 would be resolved before spending coin on PhysX. It worked great and it was glass all of a sudden! The computer was a little louder during day to day tasks, the 480 idling was the loudest thing in the case, but never bothered me in gaming. The 480 still hit lower fan speeds than when I used to game on it, since it was never really stressed by the PhysX, and the small uptick in noise was soon forgotten. I swapped out this 480, a card with a rep for being so hot and loud, and it appears I have taken a big step backward. :(

I have the same card(or well the superclocked one or whatever they call it)in my backup machine and I haven't ever heard it, maybe you got a dud?

Back