Registry Cleaner? Looking to speed up my 1yo rig

semisonic9

Gawd
My first build is slowing down a bit. I'm looking for recommendations on a good registry cleaner and/or anything else that might help speed things up. Recommendations welcome!

My rig is about a year old. It includes:
Q6600 lighly OCed
Tpower 45 mobo
Nvidia GTX 260 (216 variant) graphics card.
4gb DDR2
640gb 7200rpm HD

So far I've:
  • defragmented with SmartDefrag
  • run the heavy-duty, "roto-rooter"-style security scan on my Kapersky security suite software
  • updated video card drivers and major software/Vista updates
  • looked into upgrading to Windows 7 this holiday season

I probably need to run a memory check and make sure all my RAM is showing up for duty. Other than that and a registry cleaner, I'm kind of stumped for ideas.

What else should I be looking at?

~S

At worse, an "unclean" registry will take up a little more space on your drive, but barely anything worth noticing these days with 500+ GB drives being the norm.

Also, I don't think defragmenting gives the speed boost it used to because hard drives these days are fast enough where fragmentation doesn't hurt as much.

What you may want to look into is a spyware scan through MSE or Spybot. Also go through the processes that start up with the computer.

And starting from scratch with a new OS (Windows 7 or otherwise) is always a good way to restore performance to a well-used computer.

This is why so many people decided to debate and argue the merits of a registry cleaner. It's been said countless times before, but here it is again....registry cleaners have nothing to do with performance or speed. It's about keeping the registry clean and efficient to reduce or remove potential problems.

That being said, if you are upgrading to Windows 7, do a clean install, as mentioned. Then, use your head about how to install software, and follow the simple, accepted best practices. All that's left it to enjoy using the system.

Vista's boot process will slow down over time but the overall system speed should remain the same as long as your defragging it.

Back