Remote control software suggestion

AMDOPTY

Gawd
I'm looking for a type of remote control / remote desktop software that would allow me to use my laptop to control my desktop.

For example, I like to watch movies but hate to get up to pause fast forward that stuff. is there a program that would allow direct control over my my desktop from my laptop while keeping the desktop screen session up and running.

Remote desktop blanks the desktop when its accessed so that isn't an option.

basically want something that would turn my tablet into a remote since im too cheap to buy a standalone one

I like Radmin for that stuff, but it's not free. There are a bunch of freebie programs out there like TinyVNC, RealVNC, etc.

tried the free programs but they seem to have refresh rate issues that make them kind of awkward to use.

teamviewer

I've started using that for certain things. But you need a session key(whatever it's called), so I don't think it would fit the OPs needs if the two machines are in two different locations.

Remote Desktop..built right into Windows

That get's tricky when behind routers... port forwarding, etc...I think even you said that in a post a ways back. Teamviewer has no issues with that. The OP should go into a bit more detail.

Basically I want to use my tablet as a media center remote for my desktop. Just for basic pointing and clicking and adjusting playback volume

I cant use remote desktop because it blanks the desktop's screen

All of the free programs "work" but either refresh too slowly or had latency issues

I know your cheap, but you can get a remote/IR receiver kit for about $30.

You won't be wasting the electricity to run a second computer, and the remote takes more of a beating if you drop it off the edge of the couch.

That get's tricky when behind routers... port forwarding, etc...I think even you said that in a post a ways back. Teamviewer has no issues with that. The OP should go into a bit more detail.

True...but based on his description....it really sounds like he's doing this to a machine on his home LAN from a laptop also behind his home LAN....like using his laptop to control his media box from the couch.

Although I see he added "wants to leave the screen up" so RD is no longer an option.

I reread the OP's post again and realized he wants to control everything from the same location. Part of the reason I don't respond to people much here anymore, i'm always rushing and I miss things so I don't bother.

The remote control idea the person had above is good.

Somehow I missed Teamviewer. Works exactly how I wanted it to. Thanks for the replies

Gosupportnow remote support tool is a good one. It is very easy to use and costs only $19.95 / month.

wow, talk about thread necro.
the previous recommendation of one of the VNC-variants is still applicable.

From the outside (over internet): LogMeIn Free or TeamViewer.
From internal (over LAN): Remote Desktop Connection (built within Win7)

Technically you can use RDC from the outside as well, but you have to tweak the firewall and do port forwarding; that's why I use LMI instead, because none of that is required in that case.

I got a notice today saying that Logmein Free is going to start restricting its use to 10 PC's on the free side. Anybody got a free one that doesn't need tweaking routers that allows unlimited installs for RDC features?

I got a notice today saying that Logmein Free is going to start restricting its use to 10 PC's on the free side.

I see this: http://help.logmein.com/SelfServiceKnowledgeRenderer?type=FAQ&id=kA030000000DGBsCAO&kw=
From March 12, 2013, each LogMeIn ID will be allowed up to 10 LogMeIn Free host computers, or an unlimited number of Free computers with the purchase of a LogMeIn Central subscription.

But I have not received any emails about this restriction.
And when I check into the 'subscriptions' on my account, it says:
Code:
Product Type	RenewalDate	Total	Assigned	Remaining	Status
Free		3/15/2020	Unlimited	6	Unlimited	Active

I wonder if this limitation only affects new accounts?

Last edited:
I see this: http://help.logmein.com/SelfServiceKnowledgeRenderer?type=FAQ&id=kA030000000DGBsCAO&kw=

But I have not received any emails about this restriction.
And when I check into the 'subscriptions' on my account, it says:
Code:
Product Type	RenewalDate	Total	Assigned	Remaining	Status
Free		3/15/2020	Unlimited	6	Unlimited	Active

I wonder if this limitation only affects new accounts?

My account says the same thing as yours and I received the email and the alert when I logged in about this new restriction. I'm pissed because I only have 12 free machines too. Eh.

I didn't get an email...I just got the notice when logging in. I have many installed systems with the free account at Logmein. Most are friends and family that let me run BOINC software on their systems. I'm a little ticked, but I kind of expected this years ago. If they would drop the subscription to a reasonable price per system, I wouldn't mind paying. Maybe like a $1 per host per month would be acceptable. But, Teamviewer is a much better investment if I have to purchase for many machines. They have a one time fee for their software if you use it for commercial use.

Back