remote desktop and vista home prem??

nbovk951

Limp Gawd
I thought that this may be a place for this question. I used to do alot of onsite networking pre vista.
So accually to my amazement. You cannot remote into a vista home premium computer. Only from. GRR.
I have searched and some people claim that hey hacked something to make it work. I tried some of what they showed with no avail. I even set up a log me in account. (this is for a friends laptop and office computer and hes computer stupid)
log me in was to complicated and slow
So with all that in mind.
Can someone recommend a solution to this issue (without upgrading to ultimate or going back to xp pro)
If anyone really knows how to make remote desktop work in home premium that would be great!
thanks for any help

You might want to check out an alternative like VNC. I'm not sure, but Remote Assistance might still be available in Vista Home; I'd imagine it is since it was probably meant for home users too.

If you want Remote Desktop for Vista home, then you'll have to find a hack for it (assuming it's possible or practical). Windows XP Pro was mean to be used in business hence the reason why it has things that Vista home doesn't such as Remote Desktop, EFS, and the ability to join a domain.

restated the obvious there.
I was asking for suggestion on an alternative. and/or a hack for home prem

Did you check out VNC? I use UltraVNC at work here and it seems to work fairly well.

There is a registry hack that will allow Home Premium to accept incoming connections. I've been using it on my Desktop (32bit) for 6months with no side effects. I'm curious what will happen when I upgrade to SP1 though...

you go back and read the thread

as far as I know logmein is an alternative, no? why mess with a hack when a simple web based program has proven to be reliable and always recommened.

!

From his first post:
nbovk951 said:
I even set up a log me in account. (this is for a friends laptop and office computer and hes computer stupid)
log me in was to complicated and slow

Unless you have a suggestion as to what he can do to make it work better, then it's already been tried as an alternative, and has been ruled out.

If logmein is complicated then thats a problem. Will be the same speed as RDP. Based on his connection.

How is it hard to login with a common email add and password, and then set the access code as the same password.

Not hard to use. THe OP will love it when his computer changes its internal IP when he really needs to connected, and have to find a way to open the ports in the router.

you go back and read the thread
He specifically stated he tried what you suggested and is looking for an alternate solution. My assumption is that you didn't completely read the OP, otherwise you wouldn't have suggested it.

no i read it, but if logmein is to hard for the client, you dont think vnc will be just as hard. let alone fowarding ports.

and if its an office computer maybe he doesn't have access to the firewall.....and maybe you shouldn't help with that unless his company says its okay.........

You might want to check out an alternative like VNC. I'm not sure, but Remote Assistance might still be available in Vista Home; I'd imagine it is since it was probably meant for home users too.
That's a totally valid alternative, wonder if the OP just TLDR'd it.
nbovk951 said:
Yes the hack exists, and it is posted on the internet, somwhere.
marley1 said:
and if its an office computer maybe he doesn't have access to the firewall.....and maybe you shouldn't help with that unless his company says its okay.........
QFT

restated the obvious there.

Almost 2 months old thread ... but if you are still looking for a solution, there is a hack available here .

Disclaimer : Not sure about the legality of this hack.

Vote for logmein.com

Yeah yeah the OP said "Need something faster..and more simple..as logmein was too complicated"

Uhm...if something as EASY as logmein stumped him....do people voting for VNC or other alternatives such as that..think the OP will find setting up dyndns and forwarding/opening ports on the router..and making static IPs/reservations on the box behind the router so port forwarding remains functional...you think that will be easier for him?

RDP is "a hair" quicker than logmein...but triple the complication level. Sure many of us can setup dynamic IP and do port forwarding drunk..in our sleep..but if the OP finds logmein too complicated...I'll be a boat load of Guinness that the OP will find dyndns and ports and reserved LAN IPs to complicated.

Almost 2 months old thread ... but if you are still looking for a solution, there is a hack available here .

Disclaimer : Not sure about the legality of this hack.

Have you tried this with Vista SP1? I had a hack on my pre-SP1 machine, and SP1 broke RDP again.

Back