Repacked a battery, now laptop dies when unplugged

killernoodle

2[H]4U
So my dad's Dell 700m's high capacity battery started to not hold a strong charge a few weeks ago, so he decided we would replace the dead cells inside rather than get a whole new battery. He bought the maximum capacity cells that he could find with the same voltage rating, and they were a match for the size of the old cells. I soldered the cells in the same configuration as the old battery and all of the voltages were measured by a voltmeter and were exactly the same as before.

I reinstalled the battery in the casing and installed it in the laptop. I plugged it in and turned it on and windows showed the batteries at 50% and charging. I came back an hour later and it still said they were at 50% and charging. Confused, I unplugged the power cord and the computer instantly shuts off.

Now, I did this same procedure on my compaq v2000 and it worked like a charm. I'm not sure why this dell battery would be any different. Anyone got an explanation?

So my dad's Dell 700m's high capacity battery started to not hold a strong charge a few weeks ago, so he decided we would replace the dead cells inside rather than get a whole new battery. He bought the maximum capacity cells that he could find with the same voltage rating, and they were a match for the size of the old cells. I soldered the cells in the same configuration as the old battery and all of the voltages were measured by a voltmeter and were exactly the same as before.

I reinstalled the battery in the casing and installed it in the laptop. I plugged it in and turned it on and windows showed the batteries at 50% and charging. I came back an hour later and it still said they were at 50% and charging. Confused, I unplugged the power cord and the computer instantly shuts off.

Now, I did this same procedure on my compaq v2000 and it worked like a charm. I'm not sure why this dell battery would be any different. Anyone got an explanation?

Some batteries have safe guards in them that make it a bitch to replace the cells in. The dell battery may be the same way.

Back