Repairing And/Or Replacing A Power Switch

The Doc

[H]ard|Gawd
The power switch on the front of my Raidmax Ninja seems to be DOA. I have the connecter connected to the motherboard, but it simply refuses to work. I checked and rechecked the front panel layout in my motherboard manual and all of the wires are in their correct places. What are my options here?

Get ghetto.

Take out the power switch Fpanel connector, and just short the connection every time you want to start up the computer (screwdriver works best).

Otherwise, take the two wires from the connectors, and cut them so that they remain as long as possible. Maybe even extend them. You can short them by touching each other, or by attaching a switch. Although you'd have to find a switch that doesn't stay closed after you press it.

As the poster above me said, a switch that doesn't stay closed when you press it. Or even one that does, but you'll have to press it twice so that your machine doesn't turn off in 5-7 seconds.

These switches are actually really, really common. Radio Shark or any online electronics seller will have them. You could either go through the effort of correctly replacing your existing switch or just short the two wires that come off the mobo. Actually, you can short the two posts with a pen or anything else metal if you don't turn the machine on or off often. It's not elegant, but it would work just fine.

Back