Replace ATI with ATI, any issues?

Jrmicon

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got an x800 XL to replace the X600 Pro AIW that I had (realized I didn't need or even want the vivo). Do any of you see any problems with doing the switch? My plan is to uninstall the drivers for the X600, put the X800XL in and reinstall the drivers. I never installed any of the custom software for the AIW, only the drivers from the ATI site.

Thanks,

Just uninstall the drivers, run drivercleaner, restart, install new drivers (with XL Plugged in) dont bother with any of that "Safe-Mode" crap, it's completely pointless unless you want that 1kb left over from driver uninstall...

If you replace a x600 with a x800, then i would not even bother uninstalling the driver. Simply swap the cards and off you go.

Thanks, I didn't think there would be any problems. I was thinking of going with a 6800 Non GT but figured the 800XL would be just as good if not better, and would save me a headache.

Jrmicon said:
Thanks, I didn't think there would be any problems. I was thinking of going with a 6800 Non GT but figured the 800XL would be just as good if not better, and would save me a headache.

X800XL compares (And and is the same) as a GT, but ceaper

geekcomputing said:
ehehehehe just keep telling your self that ,,,

nvidia is beating ati down this generation.

:rolleyes:

Look at the numerous reviews for the two cards and you'll see that the X800XL is in line with a 6800GT... and for cheaper too :p;)

*waits for 'OmFG t3h uber l33t SM3.0 r mis5ing!" * :p

geekcomputing said:

Pass the crack pipe this way please.

geekcomputing said:

... Not even gonna go there.

(Your meth lab is burning down, just so you know)

ScYcS said:
If you replace a x600 with a x800, then i would not even bother uninstalling the driver. Simply swap the cards and off you go.

I don't know if this is the same with ATI and nVidia, but from my experiences, you still have to reinstall the drivers even if they are the same brand of card.

p0stal said:
I don't know if this is the same with ATI and nVidia, but from my experiences, you still have to reinstall the drivers even if they are the same brand of card.

yeah, I definately will uninstall the old drivers, install the card, then re-install the drivers. I just wanted to make sure there would be no other problems. I know in the past I upgraded from one Nvidia card to another Nvidia card and had no problems.

p0stal said:

Not really. The new card will be detected by the catalyst driver and works just fine without reinstalling. Essentially you would uninstall and reinstall the same driver anyways.

ScYcS said:
Not really. The new card will be detected by the catalyst driver and works just fine without reinstalling. Essentially you would uninstall and reinstall the same driver anyways.

Have you tried that? I swapped a 9500 for a 9800pro without a driver re-install and had........ issues.. Ended up re-installing drivers, and all was well.. That was well over a year ago though, so maybe you can do it that way now, with the newer cards/drivers..

I swapped from a 7500 to a 9600XT a while back and zero issues... so I think he should be able to do it without any problems.

Back