Requirements for an item-based exchange website

LaCuNa

Limp Gawd
Hello fellow hard members,

I'm planning on starting a commerce website , kind of like an ebay , with goods that are listed that can be bought and sold . i guess it would be similar to ebay in design and functionality . What would be the web coding know how needed to do this ? what software / coding is required for someone to make something of high quality ?

Thanks all , oh and a happy new years to ya :cool:

You'll need to know HTML and CSS. You'll also need to know about database modeling, optimization, and programming. You'll need to learn a programming language; PHP, C# (with ASP), and Ruby on Rails are common languages for applications like this, though there are many others. Some client-side scripting can help, too; JavaScript, for example. You'll want to learn something about buying hosting, managing colos, and the appropriate networking technologies; or a replacement for that, like cloud hosting. You'll want to understand something about business: marking to get customers, building relationships with suppliers and partners, coming up with a strategy to differentiate yourself from competitors. You'll need some legal help to avoid problems with patent trolls, challenges with software licensing, an contract negotiations, writing EULAs and privacy agreements, handling DCMA take downs, and so on.

I think that about covers it; just from the top of my head, so maybe I overlooked something.

OP, I mean no disrespect, but I think if you have to ask these questions, and haven't already googled the topic to get some clues, then perhaps you are not ready for the endeavor.

I imagine there are some out-of-the-box pre-packaged hosted solutions that would be a better option than trying to re-invent the wheel all by yourself.

Hello fellow hard members,

I'm planning on starting a commerce website , kind of like an ebay , with goods that are listed that can be bought and sold . i guess it would be similar to ebay in design and functionality . What would be the web coding know how needed to do this ? what software / coding is required for someone to make something of high quality ?

Thanks all , oh and a happy new years to ya :cool:

Starting from the ground up? If you have to ask... it probably is not the project for you.

There are many e commerce CMS's out there with versatility and drag and drop features. If the site took off, you could afford to hire a team to hard code something from fresh.

I think that about covers it; just from the top of my head, so maybe I overlooked something.
Though not strictly required, tools for and experience with graphic design and experience with graphics formats and optimization for the web wouldn't hurt either. Similarly, knowledge of native mobile application development (and tools common/required for use in their development) would be of huge benefit.

I imagine there are some out-of-the-box pre-packaged hosted solutions that would be a better option than trying to re-invent the wheel all by yourself.
They may be, but without him knowing what those pre-packaged hosted solutions are, they will be of no help to him.

OP, can I invest in your company? I just need your bank account information and routing number to send the money.

You'll need to know HTML and CSS. You'll also need to know about database modeling, optimization, and programming. You'll need to learn a programming language; PHP, C# (with ASP), and Ruby on Rails are common languages for applications like this, though there are many others. Some client-side scripting can help, too; JavaScript, for example. You'll want to learn something about buying hosting, managing colos, and the appropriate networking technologies; or a replacement for that, like cloud hosting. You'll want to understand something about business: marking to get customers, building relationships with suppliers and partners, coming up with a strategy to differentiate yourself from competitors. You'll need some legal help to avoid problems with patent trolls, challenges with software licensing, an contract negotiations, writing EULAs and privacy agreements, handling DCMA take downs, and so on.

Thanks alot man
OP, I mean no disrespect, but I think if you have to ask these questions, and haven't already googled the topic to get some clues, then perhaps you are not ready for the endeavor.

I agree , a pre-packaged solution sounds more ideal. I also wasn't thinking too much about security , and you have to be more cautious than ever these days on the internet.

Do you know any pre-packaged software or services ? got any to recommend man ?

thanks

Back