Researchers Create Selfish BitTorrent Client

HardOCP News

[H] News
Researchers have created what they are calling a “selfish BitTorrent client” that improves performance. How much improvement? This article is claiming 70% boosts in speed.

For example, a peer sending data to you at 20 KBps and receiving data from you at 10 KBps will have a ratio of 2, and would be unchoked before unchoking someone uploading at 10 KBps (ratio 1). Further, BitTyrant dynamically adjusts its send rate, giving more data to peers that can and do upload quickly and reducing send rates to others.

Sounds interesting, albeit a bit needless (err useless?; for me at least) - I get perfectly fine speeds (I use pre-Bram uT)..The only limitation(s) on my speeds are other peers/seeds in the swarm, and of course the fact that although I'm technically a 3.0M DL line, Verizon still has me capped @ 1.5M (guess I was silently grandfathered in from my 2+ yr old 1.5 line and they eliminated that level; where's my FIOS dammit!? :p). I'm in a failry large metro LA area (Santa Monica), and they apparently have done FIOS a long while back in parts of Malibu, come on VZ.......Maybe a torrent client like Tyrant may become more useful for me then (or for those say on an .edu network).

I was about to complain about GNU/GPL licensing and no source, but there is a hyperlink below the downloads, not like how I recall w/ AZ (ie: download binary/source links aside each other)

I'm all for hammering people who don't share, and cut & run as soon as a download is completed. I'm just wondering how compatible it is with other clients who may be sharing the file you're after, or wanting the file you're sharing. Would like to see some real world examples & numbers.

kush said:
Sounds interesting, albeit a bit needless (err useless?; for me at least) - I get perfectly fine speeds (I use pre-Bram uT)..The only limitation(s) on my speeds are other peers/seeds in the swarm, and of course the fact that although I'm technically a 3.0M DL line, Verizon still has me capped @ 1.5M (guess I was silently grandfathered in from my 2+ yr old 1.5 line and they eliminated that level; where's my FIOS dammit!? :p). I'm in a failry large metro LA area (Santa Monica), and they apparently have done FIOS a long while back in parts of Malibu, come on VZ.......Maybe a torrent client like Tyrant may become more useful for me then (or for those say on an .edu network).

I was about to complain about GNU/GPL licensing and no source, but there is a hyperlink below the downloads, not like how I recall w/ AZ (ie: download binary/source links aside each other)

Sounds interesting. Yeah technically i'm on a 3 but im capped at 1.5 for some reason...
I'd love a faster torrent though...faster the better.

OT but do you go to Santee a lot? Man I love those hotdogs :D

OT: No, never been there..I grew out of the love of the animal smorgasboard known as the 'dog' years ago (wouldn't deny trying one if I passed by maybe tho ;)). Nor do I don't really like downtown. It not really any better, there's a crapload of homeless and mentally ill people there (and more shuttled in by police agencies/hospitals but thats another gripe), and the 'upgrades' in the area seem to me nothing more than window dressing not addressing the root issues of the REAL problems there. But then again, my mom works @ the FPD downtown, and then of course there's the various trade district markets all over the area - great to goto for good deals, especially the flower mart.

BACK on topic (!): Perhaps I should read the Faq's/info papers they put out on Tyrant. One particular area of torrenting that could improve (for me) are certain public trackers ( none particularly come to mind either swarms or specific trackers) where there's plenty of seeds/peers in a fairly large -> huge swarm, yet transfer speeds take a LONG time (if ever) to pick up speed (say above ~10k) on MY end.

i would upload faster if the dick isp's would give us better connections, and lower prices.

i swear there needs to be investigation into them.

Oy. This isn't 'selfish' by any means. The idea is fair and discourages pure leeching. I used this for a few days before I was tired of the bloated Azureus client it was based off of and switched back to uTorrent. I don't know how big of an effect it had though, I think my speeds were fairly comparable.

Also, consider that giving faster uploaders data first is also going to be more beneficial to the swarm as a whole.

Back