Resize Game Window in "Windowed Mode" in CS: Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

2[H]4U
Is there a way to resize the window when running Counter-Strike: Source in windowed mode? I see that you can only increase the size of the window by changing resolution. I would like to use the 800x600 resolution but the ability to resize it. You can maximize it, but the image becomes corrupted.

The reason I'm asking is because I just purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ and it only runs 120Hz at native resolution (1680x1050). If I try to run at 800x600, even running through ATI image scale, it will only display at 60Hz. There is no way to force the refresh rate like you can on a CRT. If I can just increase the size of the window while running at 800x600, that would be great. Or if anyone knows of another way, that would be great. (I tried screen magnifier and that didn't work)

There should be an option in your graphics cards drivers to set the image to stretch.

I don't quite understand. If you run it in windowed mode, then shouldn't everything run according to whatever refresh rate your desktop is set to?

Anyway, I'm not sure, but you might try forcing the game to run at the desire refresh rate

Took this from tweakguide.com
There are some commands which can only be used in the Target box of your HL2 icon, or in the 'Set Launch Options' box of Steam. They cannot be used in the game's console or in your autoexec.cfg file. These are referred to as 'Command Line' commands, and the most useful of these commands are provided below:

-refresh [Hz]: Specifies the refresh rate the game will use upon loading. This is normally not required as your system should already use the optimal refresh rate at your chosen resolution. However if this is not the case you can force it to a specific refresh rate (e.g. -refresh 85). Make absolutely certain that the rate you are trying to apply does not exceed your monitor's capabilities otherwise you may get a blank screen, especially if you change resolutions and forget to change this option.

http://www.tweakguides.com/HL2_7.html

There should be an option in your graphics cards drivers to set the image to stretch.

In CCC, I've tried both aspect scaling and image stretch and both have not worked.

I don't quite understand. If you run it in windowed mode, then shouldn't everything run according to whatever refresh rate your desktop is set to?

Anyway, I'm not sure, but you might try forcing the game to run at the desire refresh rate

Yes, when running it windowed mode, it runs at 120Hz (the refresh rate that I want to run at). The problem is, when I play 800x600 in windowed mode, the game window is very small and the only way to increase the size of the game window is to change the resolution. You can't resize it like a normal window by dragging the side borders. I'll get some pictures to help explain more. I forgot to add that I already have that command under launch options

Last edited:

This is CS:S running at windowed mode @ 800x600. You can't change the size of the window unless you increase the resolution in game.

See how the window is larger at a higher resolution? I'd like the window to be this or larger, but at a resolution of 800x600.

Here are the refresh rates that are available while at 1680x1050.

Notice how I can not select 120Hz when running at 800x600.

Here I have GPU scaling enabled. But when I do play at full screen @ 1680x1050 120Hz, the monitor forces it at 60Hz according to the information from the LCD display properties.

Never mind, I got it. The problem is ATI drivers. I installed my old 8800GT and I can get 120Hz on any resolution that I play on. If anyone is deciding to buy the Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ, make sure you get have an Nvidia card as the ATI drivers will not allow you to use 120Hz on any lower resolutions besides 1680x1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back