Resolution scaling nowdays

Rajveer

Limp Gawd
Hi guys. I have a Hyundai L90D+ 20" monitor which I think is great, apart from displaying at lower resolution. I'm considering getting a 24" 1080p monitor but I know my graphics card will eventually have to be scaled down to a lower resolution to keep up with the demands of future games, before I upgrade it. I have 2 1080p HDTVs which, when I connect with my laptop, scale lower resolution displays amazingly, as if the lower resolutions were the screens native resolution with every line/word looking as sharp as if the image were actually displayed on a monitor with that native resolution. My question is are monitors nowdays able to display lower-than-native resolutions this sharp too? My L90D+ blurs everything lower, so how good are current monitors at doing this?

Any good 24" LCD should scale down to 1680x1050 with little loss in sharpness while gaming. I scaled down from native screen resolution to 1680x1050 for the Crysis demo and it looked very good on my LG L246W. The text on the HUD looked sharp and the graphics in the game had a lot of detail with no noticeable blurriness. NVIDIA's aspect scaling feature works great if you can get it to work properly with their GeForce 8 cards.

That's great, I was considering getting a 1680 x 1050 native display until you said that. What about lower resolutions, such as 1440 x 900, does it display with good sharpness and clarity? Which display do you have?

I haven't gone any lower than 1680x1050 but I would think 1440x900 would still look good for games. Of course, the lower you go the more blurry it gets unless you use aspect scaling or 1:1 pixel mapping.

I just grabbed the Westy 24" 1920X1200 (L2410NM) three weeks ago.

Unfortunately, I won't be getting a new computer until December. So, stuck on a 9800Pro/Barton2500+ (1.8GHz) I installed Portal. As 1920X1200...didn't work, I scaled down the settings and resolution to 1440X900.

Basically, while it would be better to have it at native resolution, it's not the horrific, debilitating visually offensive mess that once was non-native resolutions on LCDs. As far as I can tell, it's no worse than if the monitor really was natively 1440X900.

But I still want to use this thing on a proper, modern computer.

Personally I hate nVidia's scaling... it is among the crappiest blurrest scaling I have seen. Sure you can get it to keep aspect but it is very blurry. I find that decent monitors provide better scaling than nVidia's adapter scaling.

Any good 24" LCD should scale down to 1680x1050 with little loss in sharpness while gaming. I scaled down from native screen resolution to 1680x1050 for the Crysis demo and it looked very good on my LG L246W. The text on the HUD looked sharp and the graphics in the game had a lot of detail with no noticeable blurriness. NVIDIA's aspect scaling feature works great if you can get it to work properly with their GeForce 8 cards.

That's great that resolution scaling has changed from the crappy scaling that monitors such as my L90D+ use. Which 24" 1080p monitors would you suggest as decent? I'll be playing games so want fast reaction times, but also want great IQ and full colours as I'll be watching HD movies and using it for photoshopping. I'll only be connecting it to my computer for all of these jobs so don't require a phethora of connectivity.

Back