Rewiring sockets

Snugglebear

[H]F Junkie
About two years ago I hacked my BP6 to use P3s, and it's worked quite well since. Part of the process involves jumping a couple of the socket pins on the back of the board by soldering in a short patch wire. This wasn't a problem at the time I did it, but unfortunately in the years since the machine has moved around a lot as I've followed greener pastures. Lately it's been giving me lots of trouble with transient memory errors, which I've tracked down to the sockets. This evening I took the board out of the case to do an inspection and found the jumper wires starting to pull away, one of which has frayed enough to make extremely light contact with a neighboring pin.

Later this week I'll have to resolder the wires and clean things up. Chances are this is the root of the problem, which is good news for me - no having to hang the BP6 on the wall as art and attempting to track down a dual Supermicro. As part of this process, I'd like to use some sort of nonconductive, heat-tolerant adhesive to bind the wires to the board, including the soldered joints. This would help prevent a recurrance of the problem down the road from future jostling. Preferrably it would be at least semi-transparent and capable of covering the whole wire in a nice, protective glob; in my mind something like hot glue, though I have my doubts it would survive as a solid underneath the socket. Any ideas on such a material?

goto the store and look for some glue that is rated for 75-100C or higher.

maybe something heavy dudy like jb weld type stuff might work, odn't know about its conductivity...might try let some dry and see if its conductive....pretty sure it would be an insulator though

Is there anything rated above 100C? These are P3s, but I'd rather leave a significant margin for safety. It does get rather toasty under the sockets given the lack of airspace in the case and the proximity of the sockets to one another.

Go to an autoparts store and start looking for RTV silicone. They have high temperature versions, but I doubt you need it. I am using regular rtv silicone in my socket for peltier cooling insulation, and haven't had a single problem for about a week of heavy burn in conditions.

Back