Riddle me this ~ Highend (or much else) DDR2 Comaprisons MIA

dot_Zen

Gawd
I'm in the process of an RMA for my Corsair Dominator PC6400C4D; after 6 months of use and only a smiggin' of tail-tale signs -- a recent reboot and my POST reported a memory error where I was then able to isolate one single faulty DIMM through trial and error, but all of that's for another post.

So, since I had to take the day off to decide how I was going to get my system operational again, in lieu of the RMA process, I took the time to check out the forums at Corsair. Wherein, I found quite a few dissatisfied customers (albeit most were taken care of thanks to RAMguy and SpecMike, and it's that ol' catch 22 of 'only the ones with problems voice it'), which peeked my interests to 'go offa' lookin' 'round' some of the known forums and review sites; the [H] (of course), Anandtech (bad mojo round here), Tom'sHardware(same bad mojo), ArsTechnica(Not fulfilling at all), Hexus.net, FiringSquad, XtremeSystems, et al.

The conclusion I came to, none of the above mentioned sites have reviewed or cited any real world testing with more than one or two of the current RAM offerings, much less an onslaught (at least 6-10+) in the past 6+ months. Now, that seemed to me quite odd. We've just now started realizing (as "Enthusiast") that, "Yes, even Power Supplies should be reviewed because they are system critical", but gone is the reasoning that RAM falls into the same ellipses? Furthermore, we're entering into such a peek in the DDR2 headroom that it's been rumored DDR3 --system memory-- will show it's face at some point this year, and what's worse is newer equipment and Operating systems --which can benefit from this high-spec RAM-- have recently entered the domain.. But the comparisons and reviews seem to not be catching up or maybe it's that they're not fruitful?

If I'm wrong, and some can link me or just relay that this is not the case, then I apologize to whomever I may have offended. If this is the case, then why?

One last note, and I found this even with the dated reviews (2005 for some?) and comparisons; I know most companies wouldn't appreciate this, but in such a "volatile" arena, wouldn't it be prudent to include some estimate to fail-rate or which sticks seem to be more fault-laden? I know many of the high-spec DIMM's go through a plethora of testing and stressing, but even then there are still failure's not related to any other product, as is my current scenario and has been acknowledged by the experts/representatives of their respected companies.

Just through'n it out there...

Wow, 4 days and I'm already on page 4..

Thread after thread of "which RAM do I use", "Which RAM is better for this_______", "Compare ______ RAM to ______RAM"...

You mean there's no editors or experts out there who think a NEW memory comparison article is worth while?

This will be my only bump and this thread shall fall to the 'bog of eternal -post- stinch'..

Comparing rams will be pointess cos rams with same ICs will perform the same in general.... comparing rams with diff ICs is aslo pointless cos the better IC will win..... if you want to know which ICs are good then it goes like this IMO....

Handpick D9GMH or D9GKX
D9GKX / high binned D9GMH
D9GMH
hynix / promos
elpidia
the rest is irrelevant

Back