Ridiculously annoying buzzing coming from case.

Anti-Hero

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, recently just got a PC-V1000B from a forumite here and I'm getting some annoying buzzing occasionally coming from the inside. I had some of this coming from my old case as well. The buzzing noise goes away sometimes if I tilt the case on it's side, press in on certain parts, etc. Something is definitely vibrating in there and I think one of 3 fans is the culprit for making the excess vibration.

Out of the northbridge fan, x800xl, or CPU hsf which is the most likely culprit? I've opened up the case while it's running but I still can't pin down what the hell is making the godawful buzzing. Thanks for the help.

Just stick your finger in each one and if the noise stops, there's your culprit. If you have some crazy cpu fan, probably try the others first before testing that one. Don't need to lose fingers over this.

I'm voting a loose power cable is drifting over the CPU or NB fan. >_> Would explain why tilting it on its side gets rid of it.

it could even be the door vibrating against the case, you'll just have to poke around and see what stops it.

For situations like this, I usally use the trial and error method. I often find it hard to ask for people's opinions that are hundereds of miles away and have 1000 different variables that are different from your situation. Just think, what are the odds of someone having the exact same hardware, same fans, same case, same elevation, same temperature, and have the case sitting at the same angle with the same acoustics in the room on the same type flooring. :confused:

edit: Look toward the sound dampening thread in this same subforum. ;)

w1retap said:
For situations like this, I usally use the trial and error method. I often find it hard to ask for people's opinions that are hundereds of miles away and have 1000 different variables that are different from your situation. Just think, what are the odds of someone having the exact same hardware, same fans, same case, same elevation, same temperature, and have the case sitting at the same angle with the same acoustics in the room on the same type flooring. :confused:

edit: Look toward the sound dampening thread in this same subforum. ;)

Indeed, I plan on doing trial and error, as well, just wondering if someone had similar experiences like "definitely your x800xl, I had my fan do the same thing the other week!" etc. etc.

There are no cables interferring with the fans, but I'll definitely try the finger trick (well, I'll use a pencil, haha) to get the fans to stop. Also, if it is door vibrating, what the hell do I do? I mean the case is brand freaking new...

I have noticed that the buzzing tends to start up right when I beging playing a game, indicative of the NB fan or the vid card fan spinning up to handle increased loading. If it is the NB fan I'll have to get a replacement, I'd love to use one of those Zalman passive NB coolers, but of course it would interfere with my video card When I get back from work I'll run a gamut of tests and report back. :mad:

Anti-Hero said:
I'll definitely try the finger trick (well, I'll use a pencil, haha) to get the fans to stop.

That would be a very bad idea. Downright stupid actually. Shove a pencil in the fan and watch it explode into 100 pieces.

Wouldn't it be easier to just unplug the fan and see if the noise goes away?

think i had something like this, an unblanced fan or something might be doing it, the case fans or power supply fans

Use the eraser of your pencil ;).

If it's your door vibrating, just put some electrical tape between the door and the case so that there's a really tight fit, and make sure to screw/clip the side on as tightly as possible.

SarverSystems said:
That would be a very bad idea. Downright stupid actually. Shove a pencil in the fan and watch it explode into 100 pieces.

Well like I said I'll have to ascertain what I want to do when I get home from work. More than likely I'll unplug the fan, I seem to remember NB and GPU fans being pretty high RPM.

As far as the case is concerned I don't think it's entirely the cases fault for the vibration, like I said in the OP, I had this rattling/vibrating shit start earlier this summer on my old case (Lian-Li PC60) and replaced it because I'm building a new rig. Still occassional buzzing leads me to believe the unbalanced fan issue.

Happens to me too when playing intense games of DoD, CS, NFS, etc. I always just tap the top front of my case, where the optical drive is, and the noise stops. I think it's my side panel rattling because I have the thumbscrews out (and too lazy to put them back in), so you might want to check to see if the side panel's on correctly.

A few weeks ago, I just took the side panel off and the noises stopped for the most part.

SarverSystems said:

Almost all fans have a center hub, press on that w/ your finger or something else to avoid injury. As too whether or not its good for the fan I couldnt tell you.

I also would suggest checking out the pci slots, those little blanks are usually only fastened at the top and make a god awful racket vibrating.

After messing with Speedfan I figured out what it is...damn stock A64 fan is making all this rattling noise. Bumped it down to 85% speed until I go buy a Scythe Ninja or something as equally quiet.

Back