Ripping blu-ray disks To Hdd

sam384

n00b
1.please suggest best software to rip blu-ray disks to Hdd.

2.What Quality i should prefer to rip movies like you've got mail, Stardust, 500 days of summer to Hdd?
how much bitrate is good enough to watch movies in 46'hdtv without noticing difference.

3.12-15mbps is perfect to rip blu ray disks or i should rip those movies in remux 25-30mbps.
i personally thinks its a waste of space but i have 28'' tv and planning to but 46'' this new year so please share your experince about watching ripped movies with 12-15mbps bitrate vs blu ray disks on 46'hdtv.

1.please suggest best software to rip blu-ray disks to Hdd.

2.What Quality i should prefer to rip movies like you've got mail, Stardust, 500 days of summer to Hdd?
how much bitrate is good enough to watch movies in 46'hdtv without noticing difference.

3.12-15mbps is perfect to rip blu ray disks or i should rip those movies in remux 25-30mbps.
i personally thinks its a waste of space but i have 28'' tv and planning to but 46'' this new year so please share your experince about watching ripped movies with 12-15mbps bitrate vs blu ray disks on 46'hdtv.

Use makemkv, it will then create a lossless .mkv container file. The size will be around 25G-30G+.

Then depending on how much space you want to conserve, use handbrake to compress them. There are a lot guides out there, just google. I do around 15-21mbs, looks clean on my 55" LED.

Best paid for software, AnyDVD. Best free software, MakeMKV. I used AnyDVD for almost all of my movies, but after my license ran out, I started using MakeMKV. It serves the purpose, but I think I will renew my AnyDVD license after the holidays. I preferred it.

MakeMKV is solid, and free. Then use handbrake to re-encode to a smaller file size.

I don't compress mine at all. Either use makemkv or anydvdhd. I have a lifetime license for anydvdhd.

Personally, I buy the bluray... I don't want to compress them....removing the menus and extras is another matter, but I want full bit-rate and quality, otherwise why bother buying blu-ray and then spending additional electrical energy to compress them. Storage is cheap again.

MakeMKV disks cannot be watched on a PS3 with Cinavia firmware. Use DVDfab.

Cinavia is a copy-protection scheme that is put on discs. It doesn't matter what method you use to rip a disc containing a cinavia protected audio track, any device that is equipped to detect the cinavia signal will cut the audio within 20 minutes.

DVDfab will allow you to create a BDMV-REC that a PS3 will see as a trusted source on firmwares equal to, or prior to 4.0, but once you update past that, all those discs will have their audio muted as well. There is not a ripper/encoder/transcoder available that will break the cinavia protection (that I know of).

All that being said, I believe that the OP isn't talking about burning the rips, but rather watching them on some sort of HTPC device, so that is neither here nor there.

Personally, I rip my BluRays, compress them to fit on a single layer BD-R using BD Rebuilder (movie only), and then compress with CQ of 19 using Handbrake to create a file that I store (and watch) on my HTPC. That way, I have an archival backup on disc, and I have it instantly available on my HTPC. Originals are locked down never to be played again.

Handbrake files are anywhere from 10-15GB, and I really can't tell any difference between them and the source. Maybe I can a tiny bit, sometimes, but vary rarely. This is on my 60" DLP.

At any rate, try a couple of things. See what you like. Find out what quality you can live with, and stick to that.

I have never had a problem with DVDFab. It does everything I need to put the blu ray on hdd. I also use it to make what is on HDD into a blu ray movie with BDROM. I use Ripbot264 to make it into an MP4 afterwards for use in MC.

If you have the storage space, or can afford to add more, skip the encoding. When I first started ripping my bluray collection I encoded everything to save space. About a year later I ended up ripping everything over again because I wasnt happy with the loss in quality.

If you have the storage space, or can afford to add more, skip the encoding. When I first started ripping my bluray collection I encoded everything to save space. About a year later I ended up ripping everything over again because I wasnt happy with the loss in quality.

I fully agree with this. About 10 years ago, I ripped all my DVD's, and compressed them. I figured I'd be OK with the slightly poorer quality because larger HD's were out of my price range. I was wrong. I had a nice collection I spent a lot of time compressing to fit on my HD. I've recently re-ripped them to put on my more recent set up. sucks they aren't HD, but still better than compressed.

This time around, I just ponied up the money, and have a 2TB with my BR's ripped direct to them. Yes, it's filling up, especially that I record TV on it too, but sometime next year I can invest in a 3 or 4 TB to replace it.

It's just not worth the time for my to compress when HD's are so cheap.

Back