Roommate's laptop doesn't like my D-Link DIR-825?

Daggah

2[H]4U
Hey, I have an odd problem...or my roommate does, I mean. I have a D-Link DIR-825 that I'm pretty happy with. My laptop connects to it just fine through the wireless network and it seems to go pretty fast. My roommate's Toshiba laptop, though, is extremely slow on it. His laptop is equipped with an Atheros AR5007EG wireless network chipset. Webpages take forever to load. I've noticed that when I ping the router on his laptop, most pings are <1 ms but every once in a while the ping time spikes to 100+ ms or times out. I've tried setting up the router to use 802.11b only, 802.11g only, tried turning off security, tried turning off QoS, etc., but nothing seemed to work, and I'm by no means a networking expert.

The thing is though, that he insists that his laptop works fine with other routers, including his cheap Belkin router. It seems to me that his laptop and my router just don't get along, but I can't figure out how to fix it...

- Install the latest wireless drivers for his laptop
- Make sure that laptop is clean of malware (use SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Avira AntiVir if you can)
- What OS does his laptop have?
- Turn off any firewall that the laptop may have.

Try changing the wirless settings to B/G, or even just G, instead of mixed B/G/N.

I've found when dealing with the Atheros based wireless chipset clients, they seem to give the most issues.

- Install the latest wireless drivers for his laptop
- Make sure that laptop is clean of malware (use SuperAntiSpyware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Avira AntiVir if you can)
- What OS does his laptop have?
- Turn off any firewall that the laptop may have.

He's on Vista, but it doesn't seem like it would be a spyware/adware/malware/firewall issue...if it were it'd be slow for any router, but he says it's only slow on mine...

Back