Rundown: The 30" crowd. Any new players?

semisonic9

Gawd
Last I heard, there was like a Dell and a Gateway 30" out there.

I'm using a Planar IPS 26" now, and am thinking I might want to sell it off and swap up as a little post-Christmas gift to myself. Its been a fantastic monitor, but I bought it thinking I would be happy using it in my room because I had been using a 30" from 5-7 feet away and it seemed "too big". Now I'm using a 26" across a 14' diagonal (when I'm on the bed) and want to go up a club size without losing anything in picture quality, clarity, black levels, response time, etc.

I can research the older stuff in threads, though any thoughts would be appreciated, but I'm mainly concerned about newer monitors that might not be in 4-6 month old threads.

Thanks in advance!

-S

Dell, Gateway, HP, Samsung, and Apple all have 30" monitors.

If your monitor is the PX2611W, how much would you sell it for?

Not sure. I bought it for $780-790, shipped. Its in perfect shape, no dead pixels, and still under warranty. I've had it since mid-October, so it's all of 3 months old. I even have the original boxes.

I think I'll kick it off for $650 on Craigslist, maybe $650 + shipping here. I'm not really set up for selling stuff online, so I'll try to sell it locally first. For anyone in the Orlando, FL area who is on the market, this is a pretty kick ass deal, imo. I'd have hopped on it 3 months ago, had I seen any of these lying around in this condition.

-S

man i have a 22inch syncmaster 2253bw, and was a crt kind of guy for 100hz man 30" that is amazing im falling in love with 22inch right now, you have me thinknig right now ;D

I would stick with the Planar because its an S-IPS panel and the best you could get with 30" in that price range is the S-PVA panels. Unless you don't mind the S-PVA, stay with the 26" Planar...excellent monitor.

If you want 30", here are the best panels:

LG LM300WQ3
LG LM300WQ5

LG is a decent brand. I hope you're lucky and get around to sell that 26" of yours to get the 30". I imagine the monster that will be and the wider viewing area ;)
ecstatic.gif

I have the HP LP3065, all I can say is wow, I came from a 24" AOC monitor, and the difference in quality is omense.

Fantastic monitor and I recommend it.

What's he gonna do with bare panels? :confused:
Do you even know where to get them?

I would stick with the Planar because its an S-IPS panel and the best you could get with 30" in that price range is the S-PVA panels. Unless you don't mind the S-PVA, stay with the 26" Planar...excellent monitor.

LG LM300WQ3
LG LM300WQ5

No 30" IPS panels yet, huh? MMmmm.

Maybe I should hold out and see what OLED tech brings us in a year or two. I'd still need a bigger TV for my room, though, and that would mean two boxes/two screens. Kind of hoping to have an "all in one" solution, considering I don't actually watch TV that much at all.

What's he gonna do with bare panels? :confused:
Do you even know where to get them?

Umm....find monitors that have those panels?

No 30" IPS panels yet, huh? MMmmm.

Maybe I should hold out and see what OLED tech brings us in a year or two. I'd still need a bigger TV for my room, though, and that would mean two boxes/two screens. Kind of hoping to have an "all in one" solution, considering I don't actually watch TV that much at all.

Refer to my previous post for 30" LG IPS panels.

LG is a decent brand. I hope you're lucky and get around to sell that 26" of yours to get the 30". I imagine the monster that will be and the wider viewing area ;)
ecstatic.gif

Decent brand?? LG.Display makes the best panels (S-IPS/H-IPS).

Umm....find monitors that have those panels?

May be you should also include which monitor has those panels.
I would be lost if I was the OP in this thread.

LG LM300WQ3
LG LM300WQ5

That is highly subjective and is your personal preference.
Some people prefer the A4 panel because of standard color gamut and some people prefer S-PVA because of AG coating effect on IPS panels.

That is highly subjective and is your personal preference.
Some people prefer the A4 panel because of standard color gamut and some people prefer S-PVA because of AG coating effect on IPS panels.

And lets not leave out the dreaded backlight bleed, which is especially true with all 30" LG pannels. These issues and the sparkly coating kept me from buying any of them.

Dave

And lets not leave out the dreaded backlight bleed, which is especially true with all 30" LG pannels. These issues and the sparkly coating kept me from buying any of them.

Dave

According to most websites, those issues have been mostly resolved with the new generation of H-IPS panels.

I don't get backlight bleed on my 3065 but I do see the sparkle, and it is annoying. I asked someone with the newer Dell 3008 and he said it has just a tad bit less sparkle but it's still there.

It's dragging out there. The 30s mentioned are at least a year old. Samsung promised one by 2nd qtr '08 but never delivered. Not even incremental upgrading. Don't know the problem. Apparently, this isn't a very competitive market.

I suppose the issues with blacklight bleeding and sparkling are mostly related to people using the display in unlit/very poorly lit rooms.

In normal, brightly lit office/etc. rooms they should not be a problem.

Was looking at a review of the HP 3065, from the end of 2006.

...the LP3065 lacks any type of video processor or scaling chip. Existing solutions from most companies weren't capable of handling the very high resolutions needed. The company is looking to incorporate a video processing chip in their next generation product, but that's not due until later in 2007.​

It's 2009, and still no "next generation." Pathetic. Such is the state of 30-inch monitors.

Mmmm. Yeah. Probably not a huge demand for 30", $1000 monitors out there. Most people are happy with a 22-24" or two.

-S

Mmmm. Yeah. Probably not a huge demand for 30", $1000 monitors out there. Most people are happy with a 22-24" or two.-S

From what I read of users' reactions to 30", the difference is awesome, a whole scale higher. I think the problem is pricing. There's this big inflation past 27 inches. (There was a similar jump from 15-17' CRTs to 19-21".) Think I once heard about special technical issues about 30" or the 2560x1600 resolution.

Anyway, given the ridiculous premium, not surprised people are happy with smaller. I'm OK with my 2407 but want a 30" bad bad bad! (oink)

Anyway, given the ridiculous premium, not surprised people are happy with smaller. I'm OK with my 2407 but want a 30" bad bad bad! (oink)

The cheap 30" can't be considered 'ridiculous premium' can they?

They cost as much as 24" used to cost and just because 24" went mainstream and we are now bombarded with ultra-low-budget and crappy 24" doesn't mean that the theres a high premium of 30". It used to be, when you couldn't find a 30" for anything cheaper than what a NEC 3090 costs today. But the price is less than half than that now and for the size and resolution I don't think you can get that much cheaper without compromising quality way to much. But I'm sure that will happen quite soon...

It's just like HDTVs where the cheapest ones cost a fraction of what they used to. It's not that they have become cheaper - they have just become worse. Technology sure is going fast, but not that fast...
Consumer demand for cheap products with no regards of quality doesn't seem to have a limit, and boy do manufacturers exploit that.

It's just like HDTVs where the cheapest ones cost a fraction of what they used to. It's not that they have become cheaper - they have just become worse. Technology sure is going fast, but not that fast...
Consumer demand for cheap products with no regards of quality doesn't seem to have a limit, and boy do manufacturers exploit that.

Having previously spent four years selling and installed high end A/V, I can certainly agree with that statement. However, a researching buyer can still buy an exceptional HDTV for a fraction of what they could 2 years ago. $10k plasmas are now $5500. $6k LCD's are now $2200. Some tech has deminished, but 720p has also given way to 1080p. If you pay attention to who makes the panel and the quality of the video processor, you can usually secure a nice set for comparably reasonable money.

I think most of the backlight bleed (if any) on the 30" S-IPS was actually the lack of an A-TW polarizer on it. I don't notice it at all on mine, not like backlight bleed on my 2nd monitor.

i have a Hazro 30" using the LG-Q3 panel which is the same as the dell 30" 3007-HC screen except the hazro has much lower lag and ghosting and now they have just released a new new 30" using the same panel as the dell 3008 which is the LG-Q5 but has a much much lower lag than the over scaled dell model

just a side note but i never had mush bleeding or any twinkling effects on my screen although i did hear the dell had this problem due to have the AG screen coating applied 3 times as thick. (maybe some screen manufacturers apply lower amount of the coating?)

that hazro Q3 is on offer in the uk at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp... 30" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Black Aluminium with the Q5 panel not far ahead in cost...got mine for £661 at christmas also they deliver to usa and europe as well.

Hazro HZ30W 30” Widescreen Professional Monitor
30" WQXGA S-IPS Widescreen Display
http://www.hazro.co.uk/products/hazro_hz30w.html

my.php

my.php

The cheap 30" can't be considered 'ridiculous premium' can they?
They cost as much as 24" used to cost...

Not talking about price drop over time, just between sizes. For whatever reason, there's big price inflation going from the smaller sizes to 30".

As for getting cheaper because they're worse, can't agree there. Sure, you can get crappy cheap, but competition improves price-to-quality, not the contrary. The Dell 2408 is the best 24" they've ever made. Likewise HDTV: Vizio is cheap AND good, as are LG and Toshiba.

The reason for the big difference between 30" and whats beneath is as said - because of everything under 30" now being mainstream.
It was exactly the same gap before but with 24" screens. And before that - the exact same thing with 20" screens (this time CRT though).

Sure, competition is good - but manufacturers don't care much about quality and what the customer needs. Thats why we all (soon) have wide-gamut displays, thats why almost all monitors today have way to bright backlights.
It's bad for the customer yet the competition brought us here and the main thing that has improved is price - but everything else takes second place. Sure, everything else is improved as well over time, but not as fast as it could or should.

Keep in mind that you still have to pay more for a good 24" than a cheap 30". And the price between a decent 24" and a cheap 30" isn't that large either. Just because we have ultra-poor TN 24" screens now doesn't make the price of 30" inflated.

My statement wasn't perhaps bulletproof, just another perspective that in many cases is true. It sure is the case that the 30" market isn't that competitive when it comes to the screens itself - but the price point still is somewhat competitive.
I bet that the day the 30" monitors will drop seriously in price the gap between the bad ones and the decent ones will just explode. Hopefully the bad ones will be good enough by that time that they are usable - but anyone caring anything about getting a good monitor will probably have to pay almost as much as before the price gap anyway.

Also keep in mind that the gap between 24" and 30" is the largest gap ever. The size difference is huge and the 30" has at least 70% more pixels than any other monitor on the market.

Rewind the clock 4 years and we have the exact same situation with 24" screens, for the cheapest ones you'd have to pay about as much as you have to pay for a cheap 30" today. Compare that to the price of a decent 24" today, four years later, hasn't changed that much now has it?

(I'm completely ignoring the 26"->28" monitors, they seem to be just an afterthought anyway (just a stepping stone to 30") and with their low resolution I have a hard time taking them seriously).
Although I sometimes think of end this 30" madness and just buy a Nec 2690, the 2490 isn't available here :(

Sorry for the OT :\

I'm wondering if theres any chance there will be any 30" announcements at CES?
At least HP and Samsung *should* update their line since their monitors is from 2006...
And HP who has even discontinued their 30" (on their site at least), according to a thread somewhere here they claim that it's still alive and a new large shipment was on it's way - seems odd to remove it from their site though. Has my hopes up for at least a new revision (although I'm quite used to getting disappointed with new 30" displays...).

Back