Samsung 840 250GB $149.99 FS

In for 1... Needed to order something from newegg over 50 bucks to get my shoprunner for next year discounted by 50 anyway so as far as I am concerned this only cost me 100 bucks since I was going to pay for shoprunner anyhow (use it for dominos pizza, but thats never over 50 bucks at a time)

For anyone that says "lolz this isn't the pro version" - you're right, but I built a comp for a family member using one of these and once the EFI hands off to the SSD, it's literally 3 seconds to desktop and able to open anything with Win 7/8 and OSX. You will not notice a difference between this and the pro version in real world usage. Period,

For anyone that says "lolz this isn't the pro version" - you're right, but I built a comp for a family member using one of these and once the EFI hands off to the SSD, it's literally 3 seconds to desktop and able to open anything with Win 7/8 and OSX. You will not notice a difference between this and the pro version in real world usage. Period,

I don't thing anyone is laughing about anything, however I do think some people would rather buy an 830 with MLC over the 840 with TLC, assuming they show up and go back on sale.
One thing I did find funny, but not in the "haha" sense, is that newegg has stripped "TLC" out of every single 840s product page. It was there a few days ago :p

I don't thing anyone is laughing about anything, however I do think some people would rather buy an 830 with MLC over the 840 with TLC, assuming they show up and go back on sale.
One thing I did find funny, but not in the "haha" sense, is that newegg has stripped "TLC" out of every single 840s product page. It was there a few days ago:p

Point being, even with a 830 vs 840, you arent going to notice a different in real world performance. Benchmarks and moving 1080p video files around? Yeah. Real world every day? No way.

Point being, even with a 830 vs 840, you arent going to notice a different in real world performance. Benchmarks and moving 1080p video files around? Yeah. Real world every day? No way.

Well I was referring to durability, hence MLC vs TLC. I made no mention of speed and again I said "some people".

Well I was referring to durability, hence MLC vs TLC. I made no mention of speed and again I said "some people".

So instead of the SSD lasting 20+ years, it may only last you 10 under average use?

That's fine with me :D

So instead of the SSD lasting 20+ years, it may only last you 10 under average use?

That's fine with me :D

Uh...no. Samsung doesn't even know the life expectancy or are witholding it. Ask yourself why did Samsung replace the perfectly fine 830 (now OOP) with the slower non pro 840? To cut corners at the expense of uninformed customers (you).

The 120GB size seems a little scary looking at AT's numbers, but the 250/500 models should be fine for average usage. I got the large model last week.

One thing I did find funny, but not in the "haha" sense, is that newegg has stripped "TLC" out of every single 840s product page. It was there a few days ago :p

Can't say I blame them, TLC was starting to get a bad rap with ignorant consumers, who are ironically the least affected by it and really the perfect market for lower cost TLC drives.

Good deal IMO, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it myself if I needed a larger drive. I'd still favor the 830 at the same price as well but I think they're bound to disappear by next year.

Uh...no. Samsung doesn't even know the life expectancy or are witholding it. Ask yourself why did Samsung replace the perfectly fine 830 (now OOP) with the slower non pro 840? To cut corners at the expense of uninformed customers (you).

That's a rather cynical point of view... The TLC drive will be cheaper to manufacture in the long run, yes, and it's a side grade at best from the 830, sure... But there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. For the average consumer it's still a fine drive and at this price it's easily one of the best buys out there.

If you're moving dozens upon dozens of gigs across the drive on a daily basis and you unwittingly get a TLC drive then it's your own damn fault for not doing some research. It's not like they're hiding the fact that it's a TLC drive or even marketing it as a big upgrade from the 830! There's plenty of other MLC drives out there to choose from if you've got a demanding usage case, including the (oddly labeled) 840 Pro.

Calling this a sucker's buy is honestly a disservice to the average customer. /shrug

I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks. I like computers and tech shit. I'm happy. :)Just wanted to post that since all the negativity in this thread. LOL!!!! Can we all just say Merry Christmas and agree that some guys will want this drive at this price point and others will hold out for something more to their liking. ;) :p:p:p

BTW, I got a 830..shhhh! ;)

I'm on vacation for the next 2 weeks. I like computers and tech shit. I'm happy. :)Just wanted to post that since all the negativity in this thread. LOL!!!! Can we all just say Merry Christmas and agree that some guys will want this drive at this price point and others will hold out for something more to their liking. ;) :p:p:p

BTW, I got a 830..shhhh! ;)

Exactly, minus all the christmas bs :p

And if you're paying more for durability over the 840 without special needs, you might be the uninformed customer.

Take a look at the xtremesystems thread where they actually stress test these drives:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page217

The 840 under test is at nearly double it's expected write cycles without a single reallocated block or failure (note it's a 120gb). I put my money down and bought a 250gb last week to replace a 128gb 830 that will be going into a laptop. I wouldn't buy the 120gb though.

And if you're paying more for durability over the 840 without special needs, you might be the uninformed customer.

Take a look at the xtremesystems thread where they actually stress test these drives:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm/page217

The 840 under test is at nearly double it's expected write cycles without a single reallocated block or failure (note it's a 120gb). I put my money down and bought a 250gb last week to replace a 128gb 830 that will be going into a laptop. I wouldn't buy the 120gb though.

Yes but those tests don't 100% reproduce wear and tear. And we would need 1000 drives to be sampled to get even a close idea of how reliable they are. Micron themselves do not even recommend TLC to be used in a SSD.
http://www.micron.com/products/nand-flash/tlc-nand

Alot of hate in this thread.. The TLC BS is just BS as far as I am concerned.. Samsung had a suceassfull product & I expect that they were probably sure about its replacement before replacing it..

Also I have owned 8 or 9 ssd's now & I don't see me keeping one long enough to wear it out even if it does have half the life of a MLC drive.

Back