Samsung XL2370

Not that any of this matters since the monitor is literally impossible to find unless you purchased it from the first tiny wave of shipments, what's important here is how it compares as a TN panel to other TN panels.

I want a good panel that has great color and no ghosting for gaming. The shots posted earlier in the thread of the guys wallpaper and two hi res images blew my eyes. I saw a mention of horrendous lag though. You can argue all you'd like that it's actually a shitty panel, but offer up a better alternative for the price range or don't say anything at all. It's unproductive and makes people who browse frustrated from all the contradictions but no useful alternative. I'm shopping for a 23inch widescreen 2ms monitor that lasts more than two months. I'm upgrading from a 19" Dell 5:4 Ultrasharp

I will spend $200-300. I know LG and Samsung make good monitors usually. I was looking at LG's W2361V-P -- Anything?

Last edited:
Grabbed one at local BB two days ago...(as much as i hate this store...I don't have a choice since BB seems to be the ONLY store that has regular shipment)...Setting this monitor up is a breeze...the external power brick needs additional floor space to accommodate...but it saves some space on the monitor itself...which is soooo slim and gorgeous in design...it's reli like a piece of art..

As far as the picture quality, I think it is great. Is there a huge improvement from the older Samsung LCD? I can't say there is. My older monitor is the 2232GW which has a glossy screen...maybe I get used to that 'glossy effect' or because I couldn't get the right setting...I don't think the color of XL2370 is as 'pop' as the 2232GW. I also tried to calibrate the monitor using some online tool...but I couldn't get the gamma or the setting right...there is also some lag/ghosting but not too serious...the color/setting easily shifted based on the position you are looking at the monitor...I think it is another downside of a TN panel. Anyway...I am reporting this as a regular consumer perspective...and by no means I am a professional or anything...

Still thinking whether I should keep this or get the LG2486l? Any thoughts?

Here are some pics:

p1080168.jpg
p1080170q.jpg

p1080171.jpg
p1080172.jpg

p1080174.jpg
p1080175s.jpg

p1080176i.jpg
p1080177.jpg

p1080178.jpg
p1080179.jpg

Last edited:
Two topics I'm particularly interested in with the XL2370:

- Viewing angle: exactly how bad is it, really? If you lean back in your chair is the screen indecipherably dark? If your head isn't centered with the screen, are the furthest edges from your vantage point annoyingly washed out? Is it just a typical TN, or is it remarkably bad with viewing angles?

- Ghosting AND input lag: In games, is there noticeable mouse lag? In fast motion sequences, is there an unsettling amount of ghosting?

These are make or break issues for me. And I think a lot of people have these concerns but aren't finding answers in this 13-page, 4-month old thread.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
edit:

I did find these pictures that answered all my viewing angle questions:

2drfdko.jpg

1571yjq.jpg

Source: http://www.futurelooks.com/samsung-syncmaster-xl2370-led-lcd-monitor-review/3/

Also seems to be fine in terms of gaming performance.

Ghosting virtually nonexistant according to this review:

2ajxm4w.jpg

And input lag also not much to speak of:

XL2370 left, CRT right
24dj47c.jpg

Source: http://www.pureoverclock.com/review.php?id=841&page=1

Think I might pull the trigger on this.

Last edited:
@Arby:

As far as the viewing angle, I would say it is just similar to the previous samsungs that I owned. I am no expert on this nor did I test every single TN monitors out there...but I would comment that the viewing angle wasn't bad - i mean most of the time you'll face straight towards the monitor, unlike large screen HDTV that sofa placement may render it off-center. I'll say if you are using the computer at a normal (not at those extreme angles as the pics you posted) position, you'll be fine. When I comment on the shifting color in my previous, I meant when I did the calibration on the gamma setting, any movement(viewing angle) will render the gamma off 2.2 ( well, I guess all TN wouldn't align perfectly). One thing weird tho, I couldn't get the contrast right no matter how I tried. If you looked at the Earth pic I posted, the black still isn't that 'black'. I mean as a LED based, I would expect something better just like the LED-based HDTV ( i know it is not local-dimming). Well, maybe I got a bad one or I am bad at calibration.

For the ghosting/input lag part, I notice virtually none of those when I played MW2 and L4D2. When I first did the test using Chrome, I notice a slight ghosting behind the white bars...I thought it was weird, so I did the test again with Firefox, and viola, the ghosting was gone. So I apologize, I should have thought of the limitation of internet-based test tool.

Have you looked at the LG W2486l? How did it compare to the Samsung? I am still un-decided whether I should keep the Samsung or get the LG.

Last edited:
Another question: Anyone know if this monitor support Nvidia-3D? Is it a 120Hz LCD or just 60Hz?

Thanks.

Been contemplating b/w LG W2486L and this model. Sucks I can't find any Canadian stores that sell either but j/r.com says coming soon, so I'm waiting on that as well. If anyone got a hold of W2486L feel free to post some opinions about it. Having owned 5 LG monitors myself I doubt I will be disappointed w/ it but toe-to-toe comparisons b/w competing models are always welcome.

gaddelyz: 60Hz

Went out and bought the XL2370 tonight.

Impressions:

Viewing Angle:
Typical for its TN panel, but certainly not unusual. If you've ever owned a TN, you'll know what to expect. No problems when sitting at the desk looking on at it.

Input / mouse lag:
No detectable lag. Extremely responsive and smooth.

Color:
Quite impressed with the depth and fullness of the colors. Some out of the box tweaking is a must to get the most out of a gaming experience, but I am very pleased with how normally bland textures with just a tinge of color can be enriched so fully.

Back light bleed, color uniformity, clouding:
Pretty solid on all fronts. In terms of back light bleed, you can do a lot worse with other TNs. This one's pretty good. Minor would be the best word to describe it. Color seems uniform all across. Not much to speak of regarding clouding.

Conclusion:
It's a TN, but it's a damn fine TN. In terms of the color depth, this display does a remarkable job. With no perceptible mouse lag, TN-typical viewing angles, and such a rich color palette I think it's a damn fine gaming monitor.

Additional remarks:
I will report back in either a week or a month (depending on when the HD 5970 stock arrives at Newegg) and give a better review. All my remarks are based off initial impressions and a 20 minute game session. When I get this plugged into the forthcoming i7 & 5970 build I'll update and possibly revise some of what I've said here.

This motherfucker is officially available in Canada.

Where it was a Best Buy exclusive in the States, it is a Future Shop exclusive here, at the current price of $399CAN.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10131386&catid=25074

It says "out of stock" for purchase online, but the stock checker shows at least 3 of my local outlets having received theirs, even if they aren't put out on the shelves yet.

On a related note, Future Shop also seems to be the first Canadian retailer to have the LG W2486L, for $449CAN.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10131253&catid=25616

Why is everyone hooked on this monitor? you could get the benq e2420hd or the Lg w2442 for cheaper and they have more inputs and less input lag than this monitor.

Grabbed one at local BB two days ago...(as much as i hate this store...I don't have a choice since BB seems to be the ONLY store that has regular shipment)...Setting this monitor up is a breeze...the external power brick needs additional floor space to accommodate...but it saves some space on the monitor itself...which is soooo slim and gorgeous in design...it's reli like a piece of art..

As far as the picture quality, I think it is great. Is there a huge improvement from the older Samsung LCD? I can't say there is. My older monitor is the 2232GW which has a glossy screen...maybe I get used to that 'glossy effect' or because I couldn't get the right setting...I don't think the color of XL2370 is as 'pop' as the 2232GW. I also tried to calibrate the monitor using some online tool...but I couldn't get the gamma or the setting right...there is also some lag/ghosting but not too serious...the color/setting easily shifted based on the position you are looking at the monitor...I think it is another downside of a TN panel. Anyway...I am reporting this as a regular consumer perspective...and by no means I am a professional or anything...

Still thinking whether I should keep this or get the LG2486l? Any thoughts?

Here are some pics:

p1080168.jpg
p1080170q.jpg

p1080171.jpg
p1080172.jpg

p1080174.jpg
p1080175s.jpg

p1080176i.jpg
p1080177.jpg

p1080178.jpg
p1080179.jpg

Where did you get these wallpapers?

This motherfucker is officially available in Canada.

OMFG! I don't know if I should jump for joy that the XL2370 is finally available in canada or cry over the ridiculous price they are charging for it. You can get a 23" ips monitor for less than this one! The only selling point this monitor has for me is the claim that it has vibrant colors which I've missed ever since getting rid of my L227WTG.

Can anybody tell me how much more vibrant this monitor might be compared to the Dell 2209wa or NEC EA231WMi ?

I am trying to decide between this and one of the Asus models. It is in stock on Best Buys website then if you don't like it you could return it to a local store.

OMFG! I don't know if I should jump for joy that the XL2370 is finally available in canada or cry over the ridiculous price they are charging for it. You can get a 23" ips monitor for less than this one! The only selling point this monitor has for me is the claim that it has vibrant colors which I've missed ever since getting rid of my L227WTG.

Can anybody tell me how much more vibrant this monitor might be compared to the Dell 2209wa or NEC EA231WMi ?

I can tell you that it is much more vibrant than either the 2209wa or the ea231wmi. I have owned them all. Currently I have the ea231wmi. I just couldnt stand the horizonal viewing angles. I couldn't take it after having an ips 2007wfp. Also the casing is made from cheap ass plastic. I know you dont ussually look at the back of your monitor but I still don't want it feel like a cheap plastic toy. Not worth the price especially since you can get the ea231wmi for less than the xl2370 at least here in the states.

The XL2370 showed up on Amazon today for $319.99 with free Super Saver shipping and no tax. This is the first time it's been available with Amazon fulfillment.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If LED backlighting can make this good of a TN panel, imagine what the S-IPS and S-PVA panels are going to look like when they get the same treatment :)

Yea those wallpapers are great!!!

The monitor is kinda "overpriced" but how good is that Nec you are talking about?

Thanks!!!

I finally found this monitor. It was on my short list of monitors but I could never find it so my wife picks me up a Samsung Monitor for xmas and although it looked ok I really wanted the xl2370 but I didnt think she was going to be able to find it since it was always out of stock at my local BB.

Well the day of xmas I looked up and found it at 2 stores so I exchange the one she got me for the xl2370. So far so good had to lower the brightness and so other few adjustments that I'm sure I'm not done with but I'm loving it so far.

I'm using a 8800gt right now and it handles l4d2 quite well although the fan is spinning like crazy now. I ordered a saphire 5850 and should be coming in on Tuesday. Should match up well!

Bought mine today at BB. Took back an LG W2361-V. Love this thing so far. Calibrated it, (toned down the brightness, turned up the sharpness setting, set it to the fastest setting for games, set vibrance.) Backlight bleed was bothering me on the LG bad. (I could have had a bad unit so don't rape me, its just IMO)

I have run through L4D2, World of Warcraft, Bordemlands, Star Wars: Force Unleashed U.S.E, and Batman:AA. That is where the black levels really stood out and impressed me, in Batman and Star Wars. My last panel was an M-PVA and this thing to me just looks and feels better regardless of what tech is in it.

Really it comes down to personal choice too. I am going to like this monitor for a long time regardless of IPS panels out there. 3 years from now will I be looking to replace it with an OLED? Sure I will. But this will do just fine for my needs and many of yours out there too till that time. Oh and the black levels on this site are pretty damn impressive, no hazeyness, just deep black. :)

Hey, I am happy, thats what matters to me.

Bought mine today at BB. Took back an LG W2361-V. Love this thing so far. Calibrated it, (toned down the brightness, turned up the sharpness setting, set it to the fastest setting for games, set vibrance.) Backlight bleed was bothering me on the LG bad. (I could have had a bad unit so don't rape me, its just IMO)

I have run through L4D2, World of Warcraft, Bordemlands, Star Wars: Force Unleashed U.S.E, and Batman:AA. That is where the black levels really stood out and impressed me, in Batman and Star Wars. My last panel was an M-PVA and this thing to me just looks and feels better regardless of what tech is in it.

Really it comes down to personal choice too. I am going to like this monitor for a long time regardless of IPS panels out there. 3 years from now will I be looking to replace it with an OLED? Sure I will. But this will do just fine for my needs and many of yours out there too till that time. Oh and the black levels on this site are pretty damn impressive, no hazeyness, just deep black. :)

Hey, I am happy, thats what matters to me.

Same, I'm very happy with this monitor so far. Now that I've got it paired up with an 5850 and ran it through a few games I'm loving it even more.

BTW where did you set your sharpness level to? Just curious if I should play with my levels or not.

i would love it if Samsung came out with a XL2570HD because i believe that would mean that the monitor is 1. LED 2. a 25" er 3. it is also a TV. in other words... the best effin monitor you could buy. I really don't think i need a TV with my monitor because i already have a Samsung 32" tv. so maybe just a XL2570 would be awesome....

Considering the limited supply of XL2370, it may be a while before we see an XL2570.

Availability on Amazon lasted less than one day. It does seem that the local BB stores are periodically getting new inventory.

Can anyone confirm what the max refresh rate is? I'm looking for 75Hz, which appears to be what it is, maybe even 80-85.

And if that can actually be set in Win7 without having to jump through hoops (powerstrip)...

Can anyone confirm what the max refresh rate is? I'm looking for 75Hz, which appears to be what it is, maybe even 80-85.

And if that can actually be set in Win7 without having to jump through hoops (powerstrip)...

I just hit the info button and it says: 67.4kHz 60Hz PP, 1920x1080

I am just figuring things out with this monitor so I don't know if it is capable of going higher yet.

I just got one of these a few days back but I travel a lot, can someone tell me how to disassemble the stand? the foot-part is easy to unscrew but the stalk part is quite hard to pull out. Is it permanently locked in or is there some trick to it?

I just got one of these a few days back but I travel a lot, can someone tell me how to disassemble the stand? the foot-part is easy to unscrew but the stalk part is quite hard to pull out. Is it permanently locked in or is there some trick to it?
The printed quick guide with this monitor shows that the neck of the base can be pulled out by hand -- picture of hand holding the clear plastic neck with arrow going both directions. These plastic pieces snap together via a plastic tab on one side of the neck over a plastic bump. I'm sure it takes a firm pull to get it off. I examined it before clicking it in place to see if I might be able to get it apart later.

Since using this monitor with my work HP laptop VGA output I've been getting various degrees of horizontal twinkling. It gets worse the longer the monitor is displaying the VGA input. I finally did an IM chat with Samsung support who wanted me to purchase from them another VGA to DVI-I cable to trouble shoot their product! Needless to say this does not seem like very good customer support. He did also suggest not plugging the monitor power plug in to a surge protector but plug it in directly to a wall outlet. For some reason this seemed to significantly reduce the horizontal twinkling! Thought I would pass this on in case other people have had this problem. Samsung should put this in a trouble shooting document.

The displayed images are beautiful -- bright, excellent color range. The HDMI is blurry until you crank up the sharpness setting to around 50. Also set Auto Source to Manual, PC / AV Mode to PC.

Does anyone know what is "Customized Key"? It can be set to adjust various things like the MagicBright, MagicColor. What is the Customized Key? How do you activate it?

The customized key is the second from the left, it is simply a key that you can change the function of in the settings menu. Does your graphics card have a dvi port? that is what I use and haven't had any issues.

Thanks, that Customize Key is a nice way to quickly switch MagicBright settings.

My work HP laptop has only analog output. The docking station I use in office has DVI on the back but I'm not sure if it's just passing through analog video through a DVI-I connection or doing analog to digital video conversion and outputting digital through a DVI-D connection. Need to check that out, maybe consider a docking station for home if it's outputting DVI-D.

I use a cheap KVM switch just to change keyboard and trackball between the two computers (HP laptop and Mac Pro) but have both computers video plugged in directly to the monitor, not going through the KVM. So when I switch between computers it's two steps but cost effective given that one video source is analog and the other is digital.

I ordered 2 of these from Best Buy's web site last week, they showed up Thursday. They were bought to replace 2 Asus VH236H which are marginal at best. All I can say is I'm very impressed, just a minor amount of tweaking and they look great (still need to do a more in depth calibration when I have some time). Once I cranked down the Blue a little, and backed off the brightness the image looked amazing. I ordered mine and the next day the Samsung web site start showing the XL2370-1 model #, which had more worried about panel lottery, and that is the model I received, but I see nothing obviously negative.

As for some issues I've read about this monitor, I could be lucky but I don't see any navy blue bleed through, the stand is not wobbly and the image and color are very consistent across the panel. On the second unit the touch controls are not very responsive (first one is fine), so I stuck that one on my wife's PC since she rarely fine tunes her display past what I initially set up for her. After being part of the Dell 2007 panel lotto, the Samsung 226bw lotto, trying and being very disappointed in the Samsung T260, trying and hating a number of Asus panels... I think I'm finally pleased with something in this price range.

Same, I'm very happy with this monitor so far. Now that I've got it paired up with an 5850 and ran it through a few games I'm loving it even more.

BTW where did you set your sharpness level to? Just curious if I should play with my levels or not.

Oh damn! Sorry man.:( missed that question. I set mine to 72. Started looking a little blurry around 60, I think thats what it was. Oh and by all means play with the settings. Some like theirs a little darker, like me, some like it brighter. Just glad to see some other happy campers on here with this panel.

The printed quick guide with this monitor shows that the neck of the base can be pulled out by hand -- picture of hand holding the clear plastic neck with arrow going both directions. These plastic pieces snap together via a plastic tab on one side of the neck over a plastic bump. I'm sure it takes a firm pull to get it off. I examined it before clicking it in place to see if I might be able to get it apart later.

Has there been any update on this? Samsung weren't very helpful

So my order from Best Buy arrived. Even though Best Buys system is incorrect and show them having the XL2370, they actually have the XL2370-1. They tried to give me a Syncmaster 2333SW at first... pretty funny.

Anyway, I am a HUGE gamer so it was going to be worth throwing down $400 on that 120hz Acer. I ordered this knowing I could return it within 30 days. Thing is, this monitor looks fantastic.

I thought I knew what white looked like with my IPS 19" dell ultrasharp, but I was wrong. The 2ms rate, massive bright screen has sold me.

I'd like those goddamn Wallpapers that guy had on early in the thread.

I'm looking some opinions about how this XL2370 compares to the famous NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi in terms of color quality and ghosting in playing HD videos and gaming.

I'm kind of deciding between those two, since for the comments I've read, I guess the XL2370 it's not just another TN-panel monitor, but the best TN ever: it's far better in color quality/vividness/fidelity from the rest of TN monitors. Am i right?

PS: I know that in viewing angles the nec is obviously superior, due to the type of panel, but that's not a concern for me.

I'm looking some opinions about how this XL2370 compares to the famous NEC 23" IPS EA231WMi in terms of color quality and ghosting in playing HD videos and gaming.

I'm kind of deciding between those two, since for the comments I've read, I guess the XL2370 it's not just another TN-panel monitor, but the best TN ever: it's far better in color quality/vividness/fidelity from the rest of TN monitors. Am i right?

PS: I know that in viewing angles the nec is obviously superior, due to the type of panel, but that's not a concern for me.

I bought the xl2370 and ended up returning. The colors are great on this monitor but it still suffers from poor viewing angles. I bought a ea231wmi. It is a great monitor. Colors are good and the viewing angles are much better. I didn't notice bad white glow as is common on these eIPS panels.

I ended up selling it cause I needed the cash for an emergency. I have since bought a 2209wa which I am happy with for the price, although I wish I still had the ea231wmi.

Back