SATA and RAID question about configuration

Fark_Maniac

2[H]4U
I've built my first SATA RAID setup and things are running smoothly. I'm using Seagate's 7200.10 80GB drives. I jump into the raid configuration utility and notice that the disks are operating at 1.5GB/s and NCQ is disabled.

While i've never built a raid array before, I know I need to get the speed up to 3.0GB/s. Would there be a reason that NCQ is disabled by default?

This PC is RAID1 so that the drives are mirrored. The group I built this for has applications and data that cannot be lost due to hardware failures. I figured both drives won't go south at the same time, mirroring should work just fine for that level of data protection.

thanks for any help.

RAID 1 reduces downtime, it doesn't offer protection against viruses, or someone deleting something. I say keep the RAID 1, but also put some kind of off-site back up into place.

As far as the other concerns, what RAID card/motherboard are you running? If they only have sata ports and not sata2, then you will be capped at 1.5GB, not that I think it'd make much, if any difference. Also, check to see if there is a jumper on the hd's putting them at 1.5 speed.

On the back of the Seagate drives there is a little grey jumper.

Power the whole machine/enclosure off and take off that jumper.

That should make it run at 3.0Gbps speeds (provided your SATA controller supports it.)

RAID 1 reduces downtime, it doesn't offer protection against viruses, or someone deleting something. I say keep the RAID 1, but also put some kind of off-site back up into place.

As far as the other concerns, what RAID card/motherboard are you running? If they only have sata ports and not sata2, then you will be capped at 1.5GB, not that I think it'd make much, if any difference. Also, check to see if there is a jumper on the hd's putting them at 1.5 speed.
I didn't mean to infer RAID1 was for viruses/worms/malware...i'm only worried that a drive dies...the machine will survive w/ data still in place.

On the back of the Seagate drives there is a little grey jumper.

Power the whole machine/enclosure off and take off that jumper.

That should make it run at 3.0Gbps speeds (provided your SATA controller supports it.)
Thanks, I had gotten the OEM drives from newegg...just a drive and bubble wrap.

Any ideas about NCQ? I know it is supposed to be a benefit...but maybe there are conflicts with RAID 1?

I've removed the jumpers, and they are running at 3GB/s now...

I've enabled NCQ and things haven't blown up yet...so I think we are looking good. thanks for the jumper tip.

Fark_Maniac, how did you test your drives to check the 1.5 & 3.0G/s rates?
Thanks.

wolfie

Back