Scratchbuild Project BluBawx by E.E.L. Ambiense

Very nice little creation you have there. Form definitely follows function in your case, just a couple questions though. First, how'd you cut the acrylic, and second, is the fact that the motherboard's I/O ports are recessed going to be an issue? Was there any reason you didn't just make the acrylic over the I/O section flush?

Thanks!

Digitally illustrated and lasercut. I'm a graphic designer by trade. The I/O's design was compensated for port plugin by beveling it wide enough to allow easy access. Everything was tested to make sure everything would plug in correctly before final cuts were made. I'm extremely articulate about details, lol. Check out my other logs on B-T; I'm a perfectionist so I sweat all the small stuff like that. I didn't want to recess the back simply because I wanted to keep things simple...to keep in with the box, or 'bawx' shape. The mounting system for the mobo and the design of the box itself limits what I can do with it anyways.

Nice done!

Thanks, man!

You have mad skillz man. I've seen your work over at bit-tech also. Very good....

Thanks!

Digitally illustrated and lasercut.

Thanks, man!

so what your saying is, you did it? no third party company. I would love to build my first case if I can get something like this done but seems so expensive

EDIT: nevermind

Well done on this case, it looks very nice. Any hints on what revision II will be like?

You have mad skillz man. I've seen your work over at bit-tech also. Very good....

Hey, man! I've seen you around over there too. Thanks for the kind words!

Well done on this case, it looks very nice. Any hints on what revision II will be like?

Thanks! Oh, I have no idea, lol. I'm not thinking that far ahead if at all. Since there are a relatively large amount of new mini-ITX boards hitting the market, I'm sure there will be in the future but I have no idea when. :)

Well $500 is not to much :eek: I want also one! :D

Hahaha!

I always love watching scratch builds :)

This looks really cool E.E.L. you should be proud!

where is the psu?

It uses a DC-DC PSU, which you can see as the separate, smaller PCB inside the case. An external brick is used to do the AC-DC conversion and plugs into the DC-DC PSU with a single, small plug (to the left from the I/O panel on the back shot).

Great job. I want one!!!

Thanks! :)

where is the psu?

mobo_psu_testfit2.jpg

To the right in the pic...

It uses a DC-DC PSU, which you can see as the separate, smaller PCB inside the case. An external brick is used to do the AC-DC conversion and plugs into the DC-DC PSU with a single, small plug (to the left from the I/O panel on the back shot).

Thanks, Elledan! Absolutely correct.

No problem :)

I considered adding a Pico PSU to the scratch build I'm planning ATM as well, but I decided to go with a regular ATX PSU after all. In this case I guess you didn't have the luxury of considering such an option :D

Well, the main issue for my build is purely power. Pico PSU maxes out at ~150 Watt IIRC, yet the system may need close to or more than that under load. In this case you didn't have to worry about that, fortunately :)

Hmm... perhaps I should design my own DC-DC PSU... ;)

This looks like something you could buy from a retailer, really nice and looks really good.

Whee did u buy the psu from? checked back through the whole thread and didnt see what make it is

It's a Pico PSU. You can buy it from sites like mini-ITX.com.

How did you plug in the cable and power cord wire the HDD? The way you showed it mocked up in the case had the ports to the bottom it looks like, and didn't seem to be enough space for the hook ups.

How did you plug in the cable and power cord wire the HDD? The way you showed it mocked up in the case had the ports to the bottom it looks like, and didn't seem to be enough space for the hook ups.

Careful measuring when I designed the case. The power and data hookups are at the bottom of the HDD, obviously, but with the use of angled SATA cables there plenty of space.

Just a quick little bump letting those interested in it that a front-page article went up for this project over at B-T. Final photos of the build are included since I haven't actually shown anything final just yet.

Thank you to all who posted in this log, or just followed it quietly. I sincerely appreciate it just the same. :)

I've been following this thread for a couple months now and I'm very impressed by the high-qualty craftsmanship you have put into this build. Congratulations on the B-T front page!!

i love the fact that your Lines with your Cuts and Holes are so friggen perfect. Where did you get the plexi?

One final little bump to the thread before I let it rot in past-project purgatory.

The Custom PC Magazine article for this project has finally been published and is available on newsstands now! If interested, pick one up. You can throw darts at it or have an E.E.L. pic-burning ritual in your backyard; just make sure to dig a fire-trench around the fire-pit to eliminate possible fire spreading to the surrounding neighborhood. Regardless, the mates and friends over at Bit-Tech / Custom PC will greatly appreciate it if you picked one up. Issue #77 for the infinitely-lazy like myself.

bawx_spread3.jpg

As a surprise, the project's also in the run for Mod of the Year '09 over at B-T, but we all know there's no way in hell that'll happen. The competition is astronomical. It's a complete and vast honor to just get the mention and being along side the 'cream of the crop' mod-gurus in the list. But, I've already added my loser-tag status on the site for it. As my bro Craigbru said, I'm the Susan Lucci of modding! :LOL:

bawx_spread2.jpg

And a quick preview of the spread. Kudos to Antony and Rich on the team there! Thanks a million, guys!

bawx_spread1.jpg

Back