SCVMM 2012 R2 - Can't Add Hyper V Hosts

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I am working on a new SCVMM 2012 R2 lab environment and just installed SCVMM. I am trying to add my two Hyper V hosts to it and its not detecting them...it detects all my other servers EXCEPT the two Hyper V hosts.

Has anyone seen this before? DNS is resolving right and I even Wiresharked the process of detecting the hosts and I see the two Hyper V hosts returning in the LDAP query.

Thinking its blocking them for some other reason but not sure on what? Maybe some SPN issue?

That's odd. Try opening the Server Manager and adding the Hyper-V hosts there, can you manage them from that machine? Do they show up as Hyper-V hosts?

I can add them fine in Server Manager

I am not using the Hyper V edition, instead I am using the Datacenter edition of Server 2012 R2 with the GUI installed...but that shouldn't matter as far as I am aware.

Check your run as user account.
Make sure the domain account is a member of the Hyper-V admin group on that server.
Also make sure it is in there with the domain user name and not a local user account.
I was working on this same thing last night and I had set the VMM run as account as a local account and not a domain account.

Check your run as user account.
Make sure the domain account is a member of the Hyper-V admin group on that server.
Also make sure it is in there with the domain user name and not a local user account.
I was working on this same thing last night and I had set the VMM run as account as a local account and not a domain account.

I just tried this with no success :(

This makes no sense....

Ok, I think I am narrowing it down after reading this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...it-into-scvmm2012?forum=virtualmachinemanager

Everything is part of the same Active Directory domain abc.lcl, but the two physical hosts are on a DHCP server temporary (reserved IP's of course) that hands out DNS suffixes in the xyc.lcl domain.

Just need to figure out how to get the two hosts to listen on for abc.lcl suffixes I believe?

You shouldn't need to use local accounts. I have VMM setup and my VMM runas account is a domain account, but it's part of the local administrators group on all of the Hyper-V Servers.

The dns suffix shouldn't matter if you're using FQDNs, if you're just using short names that might matter. You could try manually changing the DNS suffix under the network adapters.

I figured it out.

It was a bad Cluster Shared Volume setup in the Failover Cluster manager. I ended up recreating the cluster and VMM instantly recognized the cluster and added it. At first glance nothing seemed wrong with it as it seemed like it was working....but then I started noticing the DNS entry was missing and running a validation scan finally showed the status page to report it as bad.

All is good now!

Back