SCVMM 2012 R2 Network Question

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a question regarding SCVMM 2012 R2 and the type of Logical Network to use.

There are 3 options and the first 2 is where I am confusing the differences between each other. There is "One Connected Network" and then there is "VLAN-based independent network"

In the lab this infrastructure is at, I am creating VLAN's for each network and tagging/trunking them down to the hosts. I guess I want "VLAN based independant network" right?

I am only confused because in both configurations you create the network sites and assign the VLAN identifiers/tags to the subnets you create. I know the 'One Connected Network" is to be used for Network Virtualization, but its my understanding, this doesnt have to be enabled to use "One Connected Network" so to me these are the same options.

Can anyone elaborate?

I'm a bit hazy on it myself but this is how I understand it:

"One connected network" would be used when you may have multiple physical VLANs and subnets in different physical locations but you would consider them all your "management" network or "server" network or "DMZ" etc. Each of these networks can route to each other. That way when you tell a VM to use the "server" network it just knows "since I'm at site C I'm supposed to use VLAN C and IP Pool C in subnet x.x.x.x." It also gives you the ability to use network virtualization for the VMs.

"VLAN independent" would mean the networks may not be able to route to each other but you would still consider them each part of a logical network. For example, you run a public cloud and present all your tenants with a logical network called "production servers" but to tenant A that means VLAN A and subnet A and it's a completely different VLAN and subnet for other tenants. Tenant A's "production servers" network is not able to route to tenant B's.

In most cases you'd want "One connected network" if you're just talking about giving your VMs access to your "Production" logical network and anything in "Production" network is supposed to be able to talk to each other regardless of site, VLAN, or subnet.

Thanks, I slowly been messing with this as I get time.

I defined a "One connected network" but no network virtualization. In here, I have three Network Sites and each site is defined as its VLAN tag identifier and subnet range (all /24's). I then went into the properties of my two hosts and granted the physical network adapter access to this new Logical Network and its 3 sites. Finally, I created a new VM network that contains this logical network.

When I go in the network properties of a VM I created, I can then tell the Network Adapter to use the newly created VM Network, but thats it.

Shouldnt I be able to tell it what Network Site to use? Little confused here? Do I need to create a Logical Switch still (thought I didnt have too)?

No, VMM is smart enough to realize that if the VM is on host/host cluster X and you identify them as a site in your logical network, then it needs to use the VLAN ID and subnet you specified in the logical network for that site.

No, VMM is smart enough to realize that if the VM is on host/host cluster X and you identify them as a site in your logical network, then it needs to use the VLAN ID and subnet you specified in the logical network for that site.

Interesting...so as long as the IP and Subnet I define on the network adapter in the OS of the VM I setup...VMM will associate and tag it in the proper network site?

I just added the VM Network to a test VM and at first it said I couldnt add the VM Network because no VLAN Identifier was defined that matches what defined in the Network Sites...so I added the VLAN Identifier and everything worked.

If this is the correct deployment...how does this play into IP Pools? As long as the VLAN Identifier is correct, it grab off the correct IP Pool? I ask as it didnt...or do IP Pools only work at VM deployment?

When you first create a VM you don't choose the VLAN; you can only choose a VM network. After creating the VM, VMM will look at the VM network, see that your VM is on host cluster X which you defined should use VLAN A and subnet A in your logical network. It then assigns the proper VLAN to the new VM.

With an already existing VM, the VLAN drop down becomes available if you need to choose a different VLAN from within the same site in the same logical network.

When you first create a VM you don't choose the VLAN; you can only choose a VM network. After creating the VM, VMM will look at the VM network, see that your VM is on host cluster X which you defined should use VLAN A and subnet A in your logical network. It then assigns the proper VLAN to the new VM.

With an already existing VM, the VLAN drop down becomes available if you need to choose a different VLAN from within the same site in the same logical network.

What if you assigned multiple VLANs/network sites from the same Logical Network to a host?

What if you assigned multiple VLANs/network sites from the same Logical Network to a host?

It will grab one of the VLANs/subnets from the site and use it. Remember, a Logical Network is intended to be a container that encapsulates any physical network segments, VLANs, and subnets that you intend to use for the same purpose. By creating a logical network called "SQL servers," for example, and adding a site called "Memphis Data Center" with VLAN A/subnet A and VLAN B/subnet B as part of that site, you're telling VMM that both of those VLANs and subnets are for the same purpose and it doesn't matter which VLAN the VM ends up on.

Back