Scythe quality control bad?

HaxEJxuK

Gawd
Over the years, I've bought many heatsinks. This was first Scythe heatsink I've ever bought which is Musashi to queit down my 9600GT in my HTPC/2nd gaming PC. I was so excited as usual when you receive computer parts. It was more so since I've ordered couple of other things including Megahalem. What a disappointment it was when I opened Musashi. Half of fins were bent and even heatpipe was little bent too. I've spent good 20-30 minutes to make it close to way it should be. There's still little arch on heatpipe and fins weren't soldered evenly so fin gaps aren't even. I'm sure it will stil function as it should but what a dissappointment it was to see that. Anyone else had same issue?

Last edited:
Where did you acquire this musashi because Scythe tends to be top notch with their cooling products.

I bought 3 scythe fans and they all crapped out on me within 6 months. I'd say that in my experience, they have bad quality control.

Man I got some sythe fans that are bulletproof..QCI just checks if works at time of assy 6 mo down the line well eh as far as the bent fins shipping or the place you bought it from would get my complaint.

i've bought mine from performance-pcs.com. I think i'm just gonna keep it instead of paying shipping to them even if they say they'll do echange. who knows next one might have same bent fins and heatpipe. $40+shipping i've paid will quickly become lot more expensive. also I don't think it was shipping because shipping box was in perfect shape and even box for Musashi was in perfect shape. Only thing I can think about heatpipe is it was bent from scythe when it was made and fin gap was just QC issue. As far as bent fin goes, it could be many things but one thing is that wires from fan were shove with heatsink which some of them were shoved between fins. like i said, i don't think there will be performance penalty due to this and if there is then it won't be much which i still have to find out when install it. It's just that it was real disappointment when I saw it since i heard lot of good things about Scythe heatsinks.

I bought 3 scythe fans and they all crapped out on me within 6 months. I'd say that in my experience, they have bad quality control.

Scythe has always had good qc. Did you buy slipstream fans by any chance? Those are sleeve bearing fans and die quickly if they're mounted horizontally.

Maybe it was damaged in shipping. I don't know how it was packaged in the retail box, however.

Hmmmm I would think it should last longer than that though. I put YL as top exhaust fan for my brother's P182 fully understanding the issue but it's been been running with no issue for last year or so0

Scythe has always had good qc. Did you buy slipstream fans by any chance? Those are sleeve bearing fans and die quickly if they're mounted horizontally.

Back