Seagate confirms 3tb drive

hmm there's nothing mentioned about UEFI in the article, I think it's required only if you want to use the drive as a Boot drive, someone please correct me if i'm wrong

After a few weeks of rumours, Seagate’s senior product manager Barbara Craig has confirmed to Thinq that “we are announcing a 3TB drive later this year,” but the move to 3TB of storage space apparently involves a lot more work than simply upping the areal density.

So does that mean they've announced a 3TB is expected by the end of 2010, or do they just mean "We're announcing that we're going to announce - at a later time - a 3TB drive before the end of 2010." :D

It can be read either way... bad writing, bad writing!!!

Hitachi recently "announced" a 4TB 5-platter beast by the end of 2010 so, now we wait to see what Western Digital plans to announce with some announcement. :p

I think a certain somebody hear will be starting his 150TB-200TB project...no? Is the petabit server now in reach for the average joe =P

Any speculation on pricing? Given that the highest-reviewed 2TB drives are going for $119 all over the place with coupons, they might have to start out at retail cheaper than I would have otherwise expected. $299 would basically have to be the enterprise-level-drive cost ceiling to compete with good 2TB drives available so cheaply. Also, has there been any news on SATA II/III? Presumably they'd stop making IIs, but I certainly won't bet on it.

Right now a 1-2TB drive is roughly $0.06-$0.08/gig which is roughly a range $80 for a 1 TB (at $0.08/gig) and $120 for a 2 TB (at $0.06/gig). These drives were a good $0.10/gig half a year ago, and almost $0.20/gig when they first came out. Even though we, the consumer, would want the price of a 3 TB to be in line with 2 TB size drives, it makes no sense for the manufacturer to do so when it is more "brand new" and "exotic" in terms of maximum storage; they will basically charge you a premuim like when 1TB and 2TB's first came out. I'd be absolutely amazed, maybe some will disagree here, if these drives started out at $0.15/gig or roughly $450 for a 3 TB, and than expect the price to drop after a good half year to year.

Consider me unexcited, except for the fact that these will mean the beginning of higher-capacity drives being produced at lower prices. I've stuck with 1TB drives since reliability seems to have taken a nosedive with the 1.5-2TB drives...I want those to be as rock-solid as the older 250/320GB platter drives before trusting my data to them. I know, backups...but 3TB of data is a lot to lose and even if it's backed up it'll take quite a while to restore. I hope something happens soon to dramatically increase the speeds of rotating media; otherwise we'll be seeing 4-5TB+ drives that take forever to backup and restore. Hell it's not like you can transfer even 1TB of data in a flash, and many people house way more than that.

Most of the reliability problems is from heat. People don't take into account they need a fan or some type of air blowing over the hard drive. It makes the hard drives last a lot longer than a hard drive thats so hot you can't even touch. Those eventually fail and die quickly. Can't wait for these new 3-4TB drives. Its about time we hit past 2TB. I've been waiting along time for this :)

Consider me unexcited, except for the fact that these will mean the beginning of higher-capacity drives being produced at lower prices. I've stuck with 1TB drives since reliability seems to have taken a nosedive with the 1.5-2TB drives...I want those to be as rock-solid as the older 250/320GB platter drives before trusting my data to them. I know, backups...but 3TB of data is a lot to lose and even if it's backed up it'll take quite a while to restore. I hope something happens soon to dramatically increase the speeds of rotating media; otherwise we'll be seeing 4-5TB+ drives that take forever to backup and restore. Hell it's not like you can transfer even 1TB of data in a flash, and many people house way more than that.

At work, I have 16 2tb WD RE4 drives running. No problems at all in 6 months - except for one DOA. We just added 32 Hitachi 7k2000 drives, so we'll see how those do.

At home, I have 8 2tb WD20EADS. No problems yet. I also have 6 Seagate 2tb LP drives. They've worked fine as well.

Small sample, but my experiences seem to match with others.

Even though we, the consumer, would want the price of a 3 TB to be in line with 2 TB size drives, it makes no sense for the manufacturer to do so when it is more "brand new" and "exotic" in terms of maximum storage; they will basically charge you a premuim like when 1TB and 2TB's first came out. I'd be absolutely amazed, maybe some will disagree here, if these drives started out at $0.15/gig or roughly $450 for a 3 TB, and than expect the price to drop after a good half year to year.

Looks like you're going to be more right than me by default. Pricing for the new enterprise RE4 2TB drives is $299 at the egg, and they're not even SATA III if the specs are correct. This looks like a product made for enterprise customers wanting more storage in older hardware, rather than new market purchasers looking for future-proofing. In other words, further market segmentation being used to inflate prices by retaining older features on newer products, and introducing current features at higher and higher cost brackets in comparison to the new-but-old-tech stuff. Meh, I hate that kind of crap. Continuing to produce old formats in the presence of new ones is frustrating for those of us who actually like getting the latest and greatest when we're paying for the latest and greatest. This kind of practice is why it takes so long for new technologies to take off.

Will external usb cases like the thermaltake docking station see the full capacity of 3-4tb hard drives, thought someone might know before the drives are out.

Back