Searching for an old PC game

• Thread starter Deleted member 12930
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12930

Hello,

I'm searching for an old PC game. I have no idea what the title was, but you played basically a warrior / gladiator type character. I remember this game was pretty intuitive at the time, because you swung your sword / arm by moving your mouse / keypad. It wasn't the typical - press one button and attack type game.

It was around the time that 3D graphics cards were beginning to be more popular - I ran the demo of it on a TNT2 card. Might have been an original TNT even.

Does anyone have any ideas what game I'm talking about? And if so - any ideas of the name? I think I remember seeing something about a sequel / expansion pack even.

I also remember that limbs could be chopped off in the game, and you continue playing. Though I could be wrong on that one.

I've been searching the-underdogs.info with no luck as of yet.

Thanks!

-Nick

NickTheNut said:
I also remember that limbs could be chopped off in the game, and you continue playing. Though I could be wrong on that one.

LOL, "I also remember... though I could be wrong."

No need to ask why you are 'TheNut'.

but after reading your description, and seeing your nick, I couldn't help but wonder if the game would let you 'nick the nuts'.

"play balls!"

Yes! That's it! Die By The Sword! Thanks so much guys. I just couldn't remember at all.

Tolyngee: You've never looked for a game that you could barely remember? When this game was out I couldn't afford to buy or even pirate games (no internet connection), so I lived off of demos. Played hundreds of them non-stop. So of course some of them meshed together from time to time.

Your jokes at my name were pretty lame too ;-) I've heard much better.

Thanks mlaine and ryuen!

Okay, I'm going to hijack this thread. Because of Nick, now I too have a game that I can't think of. But this goes way back to the days of Apple II. It was kind of like a gladiator game, except it basically played out like some prehistoric 2D fighting game. Your character would stand face to face with a bad guy, and then you could perform moves with your sword depending on which direction you held the joystick.

I remember the "killing blow" move was to hold the control stick back (away) while hitting the button. This would make your character perform a spinning sword strike to the other guys neck, causing his head to fly off. Of course, back in that day, this was considered "totally rad".

After you killed each opponent, a tougher one would come out.

Surely someone has to remember this game too!

that one's easy. It was 'Barbarian'.

edit: here's the: link

appparently in the US it was marketed as 'Death Sword'

I have a game search question as well. It was an old DOS game around the time of commander keen, and cosmos cosmic adventure. it was a 2d game in which you were able to fly around on a jetpack and shoot zombies. I could have sworn it was called Halloween jack but I cant seem to find anything on it.

Tenebrus said:
that one's easy. It was 'Barbarian'.

edit: here's the: link

appparently in the US it was marketed as 'Death Sword'

DEATH SWORD!!

How could a game called "Death Sword" not be awesome. Good memories. Thanks for finding that.

Pbrane101 said:
I have a game search question as well. It was an old DOS game around the time of commander keen, and cosmos cosmic adventure. it was a 2d game in which you were able to fly around on a jetpack and shoot zombies. I could have sworn it was called Halloween jack but I cant seem to find anything on it.

Halloween Harry

http://hharry.netfirms.com/

Anyone play Captain Goodnight - with the decoder ring it came with, and when you shot your pistol while in the elevator it said, "Trigger happy, Goodnight?".

/sigh.

Good times.

Die by the sword was an awesome game, quite a funny one aswell :).

Your hero had quite the mouth to him heh. They even had a "Cuss pack" for it to give him even more lines to say.

The main problem with it's VSIM controls were that the sword behaved as it would in a 3d enviroment in terms of motion, but a mouse is on a 2d plane of motion, this made it extremely diffcult to get your arm oriented in terms of doing the specific attacks you wanted to, most people just ended up doing a "swishy swashy" motion back and fourth/up and down.

I found it to be easier to use the numpad for the control of your sword instead.

Back