Seconds away from buying, how's this setup?

mr saturn

Limp Gawd
This one is for my Dad.

It'll need to take video from camcorders etc and put em on the hard drive, ready for editing. HTPC duties, minus the TV funtionality. Decent gaming; bf2, farcry etc. Measured to fit in a tv cabinet, will be hooked up to a 60inch JVC lcd projection screen via VGA. How is the build? Any suggestions? Can the dvd drive be stealthed in this case?

Thanks for the help.

Athlon X2 4200 AM2
2gb Mushkin XP2-5300
Asus M2N-E mobo
Overture 2 Case
EVGA 7600 GT KO
Seagate 320 gb 7200.10 sata2
Pioneer DVR-111D
Hauppauge WINTV PVR 150MCE
Azuntech HDA X-Mystique 7.1 Gold with dolby digital live

Only 1 Hdd? My only suggestion is get another, It makes reformats so much easier.

For video editing a seperate OS drive is a must.

Other than that, it looks fine.

More than enough power for some time to come. I do agree on more harddrive space depending on what you are going to do. If you plan on backing up DVD's or storing TV shows for a decent amount of time then you may want more storage.

Also, if you go this route, you may want to backup your media to an external drive.

I've had error with the 2gb Mushkin XP2-5300 ram on my Asus M2NPV-VM. The ram caused a very unstable system, the bios would lock up, windows wouldnt install, but the board would post fine.

Sorry for the delay in response, I've been busy setting this thing up.

Thanks for the advice/comments. The retailer was out of stock on the mobo and ram, so I went with a MSI K9N Neo-F and Corsair memory of the same speed. So far it's performing beautifully. Made a seperate partition for installs (50gb), and the rest is for media storage. Will look at another hard drive if the video editing takes off.

Considering the TV has a native res of 1024x768 (anyone know how to get 720p working via VGA?), BF2 and Farcry can be absolutely maxed out and still run very smooth.

Thanks again!

xxx_Loki_xxx said:
I've had error with the 2gb Mushkin XP2-5300 ram on my Asus M2NPV-VM. The ram caused a very unstable system, the bios would lock up, windows wouldnt install, but the board would post fine.

I'm using 1 GB of Mushkin HP2-5300 (2x512mb) with this board and it seems to run fine (I just installed it yesterday).I've seen a lot of complaints on mesage boards about this board being real picky about memory. It seems the problem is the fact that the voltage can't be raised above 1.9v in the BIOS, and a lot of different models of memory need more than that. The HP2-5300 is rated for 1.9v.

Back