Sent board in for RMA, got original back with nothing fixed. Yay ASUS.

Asus has pulled the same nonsense with me in the past, which is the main reason I avoid Asus products these days if at all possible. I sent my MB in for RMA and it was returned with a note telling me the board had been "tested" and that no problems had been discovered by their technicians. I went through the same hassles (long holds on the phone), and had to pay shipping again to return a product that was clearly nonfunctional. While it is nice that an Asus representative stops by these boards to help people who complain too loudly, this doesn't address the core problem, which is the fact that Asus makes it a policy to refuse to provide timely and professional support to users of their products in the hopes that they will give up and go away. Support that they are required to provide under the law,

Not sure if it got shipped out yesterday like she said it would or not, also haven't heard from them today. Lots of talk and promises, but not a lot of following through..

I'll probably hear from them this afternoon.

Didn't hear from them today at all. I have no indication of whether the new board has been shipped to me or not. The one I sent them arrives to them tomorrow. So did they just trick me into doing a normal RMA instead of an Advanced RMA but paid my shipping there? What's going on.. I'm going to call them tomorrow after work to see wtf happened.

This does not make me happy, it's all about following through on their end now.. and they can't even do that.

You send back a board that didnt work with your HW and O/S configuration, then they test it with their HW and O/S configuration and say evrything is fine.
This always seemed like a poor way of doing things to me. Dell hires outside companies to go to peoples houses to do warranty work on their PC's. Maybe ASUS should have 3 or 4 guys roaming around the country doing the same.
They sure would learn what isnt working a lot quicker.
The way things work out now is ASUS thinks you dont know what you are doing, and you think they didnt even look into the problem.

Dell doesnt send someone to your house unless you pay a couple hundred extra dollars for their in home warranty service as far as I know. On top of that I don't know what you guys think about the reputation of ASUS.

For a decade their manuals have been garbage for english. Let me see all those thousands of College kids with degrees in english and journalism that cannot get a job and ASUS never thought their multi billion dollar operation could afford a few of those to write their manuals. I can't imagine them costing more that 40k a year. Also for ASUS to check on their own equipment makes more sense to them. How do they know that you do not have some other faulty peice of equipment. Many of us [H] guys have extra parts to test but most people do not and I bet thousands of boards get RMA'd due to other faulty components like video card and ram or improperly seated CPUs every year.

One reason I bought a GB board is, since I live within bike riding distance of their Industry office, I can just go in there and RMA something by hand and not have to deal with stuff like this. Easier to pay $3 on the bus and get a little exercise, than pay $15 in shipping.

You send back a board that didnt work with your HW and O/S configuration, then they test it with their HW and O/S configuration and say evrything is fine.
This always seemed like a poor way of doing things to me. Dell hires outside companies to go to peoples houses to do warranty work on their PC's. Maybe ASUS should have 3 or 4 guys roaming around the country doing the same.
They sure would learn what isnt working a lot quicker.
The way things work out now is ASUS thinks you dont know what you are doing, and you think they didnt even look into the problem.

Actually its more along the lines of not being able to replicate the issue. Ive worked on several computers where the customer says it does this and i simply cannot get it to do that. I seriously dont doubt that it wasnt working for you but you send it in and it decides to work. It usually takes alot more detailed info from the customer or prolonged repetitive testing, and even sometimes we have the customer send in everything they plug into the product so we can replicate.

OP, have you heard anything back? I wish i could help you but we cant pull up information from other repair facilities.

It usually takes alot more detailed info from the customer or prolonged repetitive testing, and even sometimes we have the customer send in everything they plug into the product so we can replicate.

That makes much more sense, if one wishes to actually figure out whats wrong.
I am a bit surprised you actually even do that, never heard of that happening
Are you saying you work for ASUS?
Is that proceedure available as an option to ALL ASUS warranty centers?
Under what condition is it decided to ask customer for all mobo HW - you test mobo and it passes, send it back, and the customer says still no go?
What percentage of problems would you estimate get that treatment?

That makes much more sense, if one wishes to actually figure out whats wrong.
I am a bit surprised you actually even do that, never heard of that happening
Are you saying you work for ASUS?
Is that proceedure available as an option to ALL ASUS warranty centers?
Under what condition is it decided to ask customer for all mobo HW - you test mobo and it passes, send it back, and the customer says still no go?
What percentage of problems would you estimate get that treatment?

Yes i work for Asus.

I cant speak for everyone but its not uncommon. If i myself cannot trace or replicate the issue after exhausting all possible options and its back for the 2nd time for the same issue then yes we request more info from the customer which can lead up to sending in stuff they are having the issue with.
Its all at the Techs discretion really. If they are a shitty tech they will put NTF and send it out the door several times. Of course it really depends on how the letter the customer encloses is to. If they are super shitty and being stupid then we wont care. Ive seen a Customer induced damage before where the person was really nice and needed their computer back quick for school. I repaired it all under warranty and had it out the same day.

This stuff isnt an option for the customer its on techs request. Im not 100% on the motherboards as thats not my dept but i would assume its up to the tech and its rarely done. Its hard to tell really as i dont get involved with most people there are they are low level people that dont care. I would say of all the techs i care the most to do the best that i can.
At one point i had a 22 gram tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique. Every time i pulled a heatsink i cleaned the chip and heatsink surface and applied it professionally then heat cycled it twice. All other techs just throw it back together and when they do use thermal paste its way to much.

The OPs situation is different as his is going to ACI in California which is basically Headquarters.

I havent fully figured out the network yet. We havent gotten any Sandy Bridge boards yet so im assuming ACI and Taiwan are handling those. I know all laptop and Desktop computers come to us though.

Dell and similar companies have mobile service teams because they sell complete rigs, Asus just sold him a mainboard, so if they want to help additionally figuring out the problem within his computer with working Asus, that is kinda big kindness from them.

Didn't hear from them today at all. I have no indication of whether the new board has been shipped to me or not. The one I sent them arrives to them tomorrow. So did they just trick me into doing a normal RMA instead of an Advanced RMA but paid my shipping there? What's going on.. I'm going to call them tomorrow after work to see wtf happened.

This does not make me happy, it's all about following through on their end now.. and they can't even do that.

Hi,

We decided to test your replacement board thoroughly before passing it over to the shipping department. Our RMA/test guys spent a whole day with it. This was to ensure there isn't a repeat problem. Sorry for the delay - I think it should be en route.

-Raja

Yes i work for Asus.

I cant speak for everyone but its not uncommon. If i myself cannot trace or replicate the issue after exhausting all possible options and its back for the 2nd time for the same issue then yes we request more info from the customer which can lead up to sending in stuff they are having the issue with.
Its all at the Techs discretion really. If they are a shitty tech they will put NTF and send it out the door several times. Of course it really depends on how the letter the customer encloses is to. If they are super shitty and being stupid then we wont care. Ive seen a Customer induced damage before where the person was really nice and needed their computer back quick for school. I repaired it all under warranty and had it out the same day.

This stuff isnt an option for the customer its on techs request. Im not 100% on the motherboards as thats not my dept but i would assume its up to the tech and its rarely done. Its hard to tell really as i dont get involved with most people there are they are low level people that dont care. I would say of all the techs i care the most to do the best that i can.
At one point i had a 22 gram tube of Arctic Silver Ceramique. Every time i pulled a heatsink i cleaned the chip and heatsink surface and applied it professionally then heat cycled it twice. All other techs just throw it back together and when they do use thermal paste its way to much.

The OPs situation is different as his is going to ACI in California which is basically Headquarters.

I havent fully figured out the network yet. We havent gotten any Sandy Bridge boards yet so im assuming ACI and Taiwan are handling those. I know all laptop and Desktop computers come to us though.

Hey question it may be a long shot but was that computer was that a G50VT-X1 best buy model? Possibly with a complaint of faulty video card, which would have been a 9800GT(box said it was) but really a 9800gs?

Thats where its going and coming from.
Just call me curious but when it was mentioned that the MB was going to ACI you gave them a great recommendation.

Aren't all MBs produced by Asus repaired in Asus owned facilities?

Or is ACI an Asus company?

You feel some repair centers are better than others?

The problem with this is that normal customers do not go to [H] and should not need a company rep on a forum or newegg reviews to get the service they should have had from the start.
Normal users would buy a Dell anyway. If you buy your computer in pieces and build it you are not a normal user.

Hey question it may be a long shot but was that computer was that a G50VT-X1 best buy model? Possibly with a complaint of faulty video card, which would have been a 9800GT(box said it was) but really a 9800gs?

Im pretty sure it was a G73 where the USB ports were causing system crashes and we had the customer send in all their USB stuff to test with.

Just call me curious but when it was mentioned that the MB was going to ACI you gave them a great recommendation.

Aren't all MBs produced by Asus repaired in Asus owned facilities?

Or is ACI an Asus company?

You feel some repair centers are better than others?

Because its a rarity that a board we got from ACI that doesnt work where the chances are much higher when we get boards from in house.
I would assume ACI is a partner, and Asus company, or a contracted company. I always Thought ACI was Asus Computer International but ive never asked anyone what i means but i think its kinda like Corporate.

I cant say what repair centers are better than who as i dont know the network of them. There may just be ACI and the one here. Everyone here holds a higher regard for ACI though. If your computer comes to the center here and i am the tech i will do my best and really do care.

lot of ASUS in my box...sure hope they come through for you

I had a very similar rma experience. First time I sent it in, got it back saying "tested", I was like ok, maybe it's fixed. NOT! I put it back in and it still had the same problem as before. So I initiated another RMA request and nicely explained but rather irritated in the request and sure enough got another rma. I still had to pay shipping the second time which isn't really a big deal as I just needed it fixed rather than buying a new one but it would have been nice if they paid for the return shipping the second time. So after they get the board a second time, they actually fixed it and sent it back with details of there tests and hardware used during the test.

So after they get the board a second time, they actually fixed it and sent it back with details of there tests and hardware used during the test.
You would hope that since it took them two times to actually fix the problem, they would have reimbursed you the shipping costs?

Hi,

We decided to test your replacement board thoroughly before passing it over to the shipping department. Our RMA/test guys spent a whole day with it. This was to ensure there isn't a repeat problem. Sorry for the delay - I think it should be en route.

-Raja

Thanks for the reply, I received the board on Friday mid-day.

You guys need to learn that a change in the discussed plan after telling me something else, needs to be communicated to me. I appreciate the extended testing, but I was told the board would go out immediately after my own board was scanned to head to you guys.

I haven't tested the board myself since I just have not had time, I haven't even taken it out of the box, but I'm not even sure I'll keep it with Z68 in a few days.

I had a very similar rma experience. First time I sent it in, got it back saying "tested", I was like ok, maybe it's fixed. NOT! I put it back in and it still had the same problem as before. So I initiated another RMA request and nicely explained but rather irritated in the request and sure enough got another rma. I still had to pay shipping the second time which isn't really a big deal as I just needed it fixed rather than buying a new one but it would have been nice if they paid for the return shipping the second time. So after they get the board a second time, they actually fixed it and sent it back with details of there tests and hardware used during the test.

That's exactly what happened to me but I refused to pay shipping back, as far as I was concerned it was still the same ticket and their fault nothing got fixed, I wasn't paying for their screw up, I made it clear, and I didn't pay the second time, although what ended up happening is what they should have done in the first place. Why even offer Standard RMA's to high end boards like these? The experiences are sub-par and leave the users unhappy and unfulfilled and as it appears, often with still-misbehaving products.

You would hope that since it took them two times to actually fix the problem, they would have reimbursed you the shipping costs?

I'd hope they do that for him too, that's ridiculous, that's their fault, not his, he completed his commitment when he paid to ship it there the first time, if nothing got done to the board, not his problem, and the rest is their expense.

Thanks for the reply, I received the board on Friday mid-day.

You guys need to learn that a change in the discussed plan after telling me something else, needs to be communicated to me. I appreciate the extended testing, but I was told the board would go out immediately after my own board was scanned to head to you guys.

I haven't tested the board myself since I just have not had time, I haven't even taken it out of the box, but I'm not even sure I'll keep it with Z68 in a few days.

Mason has just completed testing of your RMA board and found no fault with the USB ports, though he closed out the RMA as he didn't have what he needed to test the LAN at home. In any case, hope the new board is ok for you.

-Raja

as a long time Asus customer (I've only had one non-Asus motherboard since my A7N-8X back in the Athlon XP days.) I'm glad to hear about some of the extra efforts people went through here to get this problem resolved. I've only had a couple Asus boards go bad, and those were well past the warranty period. Well, plus one that I managed to mess up.

With my current systems running a P5Q Pro, a P6T, and a (brand new) Rampage III Formula, I hope my systems don't have problems any time soon. However, things happen. Now I know that if I run into a problem with the reply from support, that the next level up in customer service is available and ready to provide the support I expect.

Back