Server 2003 share issues

Farva

Extremely [H]
So I can see shares from my server to my computers but not from my computers to my server. Any ideas?

Where can't you see the shares and from what OS?
Can you:

1. From the run dialog, enter the UNC (\\server\share) and see the shares?
2. From the run dialog, enter just the server (\\server) and see all of the shares?

This is usually a netbios/wins probelm for 2003/xp. If you're dealing with Win7/2008, you may have to enable netbios of tcpip or enable Link-Layer Topology Dicovery Mapper/responder in your network adapter properties.

1) Negative
2) Negative

None of my XP or 7 machines still can't see 2003.

Interesting.

Are they on the same IP network? If not, what is routing between the two networks?

Have you done basic network troubleshooting? Your not having a DNS issue, are you? You can Ping the 2003 box from the XP/7 machines, right?

Windows has two methods to resolve a computers name (well, 3, but we're talking XP/2003 so just 2). The first is NETBIOS. NETBIOS can't travel over a router, so if you're on two different networks and you don't have DNS in place, you'll need to configure a WINS server or add the server to your HOSTS or LMHOSTS file.

The second way is DNS. If thats wrong, then you should 'ipconfig /flushdns' on your clients and then try again.

If you want to find out what method is resolving the hostname (it can be useful for troubleshooting issues like this), ping the hostname. If it's WINS or NETBIOS, the result will return just the name of the remote computer. If it's DNS, the full domain name will be returned. For example, if you're "ping server" --

NetBios/WINS: Pinging SERVER [ip address] with 32 bytes of data:
DNS: Pinging Server.my.domain.com [ip address] with 32 bytes of data:

If you're having trouble even pinging the remote server, see what is resolving the name (DNS or WINS/Netbios). Then you can troubleshoot accordingly.

BTW: What happened when you tried to browse to the machines via UNC? Did it error out or show you anything at all?

Last edited:
Same IP network/subnet.

When I ping it by its name, it resolves the IP but doesn't return the ping. When I try with the IP, the ping does not return. I tried pinging both ways even after the DNS flush. It is using DNS.

It's been a long time, how do I add the server to my Host file?

When I try to connect doing the UNC path, I get:

Windows cannot access \\server

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error code is 0x80070035

When I click on Diagnose:

Make sure that the device or resource (server) allows incoming connections for File and Printer Sharing

Windows Help and Support can provide more information about Windows Firewall.

I just looked at the Windows Firewall on my server and it was turned on. WTF? I turned it off and now I can get to my shares. I wonder how it got turned on because I surely didn't do it. :mad:

Sometimes loading new network drivers will cause the firewall to enable. I've also seen some 3rd party network manager products enable it for no reason as well. IBM connection manager is one of them.

Back