Shimmering?

I noticed the difference when I went from my X800XT to my 7800 GTX. San Andreas is the worst offender, shimmering and texture aliasing all over the place. It's been somewhat toned down after selecting different settings.

On the bright side, I read over @ nvnews that nvidia is aware of the problem and are working on a fix. Hope that comes out soon. I don't care if it takes a performance hit, card is fast enough. :) I just want the damn shimmering to go away.

- D.

Ok guys, I bought the 7800GT OC, and I'm loving it. There has been no shimmering what-so-ever, even on San Andreas. I have the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website and I didn't do that LOD Clam or whatever. I feel really stupid for making this thread, and for blowing it out of proportion.

I'm sorry.

PS: To all of the ATI !!!!!!s for making me feel scared ..|.. :mad: :mad:

Garric said:
Ok guys, I bought the 7800GT OC, and I'm loving it. There has been no shimmering what-so-ever, even on San Andreas. I have the latest drivers from the NVIDIA website and I didn't do that LOD Clam or whatever. I feel really stupid for making this thread, and for blowing it out of proportion.

I'm sorry.

PS: To all of the ATI !!!!!!s for making me feel scared ..|.. :mad: :mad:

*LOL* Nice "bird" ;) *L*
But glad that you are happy with you new purchase :)

Terra...

No more? Not hardly. More like, not nearly as much in 'High Quality'. Its still VERY much there in 'Quality'.

well yea. i use HQ though. sorry for that little bit of misinformation.

The nerdy people that notice shimmering issues must not be one of those who grew through the growing pains of technology. 16 bit color, dithering, you name it. Just be happy with what advances we've made. The differences are so subtle nowadays it's laughable. :)

Glad you're happy with your card. This thing's so blown out of proportion, if it was an ant, it wouldn't fit through an airport hangar.

ShuttleLuv said:
The nerdy people that notice shimmering issues must not be one of those who grew through the growing pains of technology. 16 bit color, dithering, you name it. Just be happy with what advances we've made. The differences are so subtle nowadays it's laughable. :)

Very true.

wolf3d.gif

OH NOES TEH SHIMMMERR!!!!1!!

:rolleyes:

So because I notice shimmering, Im nerdy? Nice logic you have there. The fact is, its annoying, and not even close to "Quality". If they can remove almost all of it from High Quality, then can do it for Quality too. Its not a growing pain of technology, its an "optimization" that needs to be removed.

But arent you two cool for trying to belittle others, who dont share the same opinion as you.

can someone please lock this thread? it's just going around and around in circles.

But arent you two cool for trying to belittle others, who dont share the same opinion as you.

Hey. :) I meant no personal offense to you or anyone. Maybe I've just gotten older and or less caring about small details? I mean like I said, if you've been with graphics technology since the inception of 3d acceleration, you'll know what I'm talking about. Really bad graphical defects or anomolies WOULD still piss me off though for sure. I guess it's just so small and unnoticeable these days that I care less. Oh and the worlds gone to hell and more is on my mind everyday. Things like war, chicks, hurricanes, the world, etc. ;)

Again, do not take offense.

fallguy said:
So because I notice shimmering, Im nerdy? Nice logic you have there. The fact is, its annoying, and not even close to "Quality". If they can remove almost all of it from High Quality, then can do it for Quality too. Its not a growing pain of technology, its an "optimization" that needs to be removed.

I'm sick of people blowing it out of proportion. Have your opinion if you want - but don't blow it out of proportion. It's a MINOR image fault, in a fast developing industry. I can tolerate minor faults - do you seriously think nVidia sits back in their labs saying

[evil]Hey guys, lets see how we can screw our customers, I know, let's make their image quality worse[/evil].

nVidia is releasing a fix for it - it was clearly a bug that slipped through. Big deal. If I acted anyway like the !!!!!!s here did whenever I saw a bug I would never have a life. Honestly, you're in the comptuer industry. SInce when did products perform flawlessly first time?

As for the quality/high quality issue - that is why you have the option. This may be one of the first times a consumer has actually demanded LESS choice. :confused:

dgb said:
Very true.

http://binarybonsai.com/images/wolf3d.gif

OH NOES TEH SHIMMMERR!!!!1!!

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Good ol Mp40 in wolf! your picture made my day...

ShuttleLuv said:
Hey. :) I meant no personal offense to you or anyone. Maybe I've just gotten older and or less caring about small details? I mean like I said, if you've been with graphics technology since the inception of 3d acceleration, you'll know what I'm talking about. Really bad graphical defects or anomolies WOULD still piss me off though for sure. I guess it's just so small and unnoticeable these days that I care less. Oh and the worlds gone to hell and more is on my mind everyday. Things like war, chicks, hurricanes, the world, etc. ;)

Again, do not take offense.

I have been with it since the first 3D card. And this is a very annoying problem to me. Small and unoticeable for you, isnt the same for everyone else. The sooner you realize that, the better.

dgb said:
I'm sick of people blowing it out of proportion. Have your opinion if you want - but don't blow it out of proportion. It's a MINOR image fault, in a fast developing industry. I can tolerate minor faults - do you seriously think nVidia sits back in their labs saying

[evil]Hey guys, lets see how we can screw our customers, I know, let's make their image quality worse[/evil].

nVidia is releasing a fix for it - it was clearly a bug that slipped through. Big deal. If I acted anyway like the !!!!!!s here did whenever I saw a bug I would never have a life. Honestly, you're in the comptuer industry. SInce when did products perform flawlessly first time?

As for the quality/high quality issue - that is why you have the option. This may be one of the first times a consumer has actually demanded LESS choice. :confused:

Can you say, hypocritical? You get mad at me for "blowing this out of proportion", how about I get sick people "trying to make it out to be minor"? Its my opinion its not minor, its yours that it is. I dont know how you can call it minor when playing BF2 and the shimmering is so easily seen, but whatever.

Obviously you havent been even reading the post. Its a "bug" in High Quality, not in Quality. These beta drivers that allegedly "fix" the "bug" dont do squat for the shimmering in Quality mode. For the 100th time, there is nothing quality about shimmering, yet NV leaves it in Quality mode. Why? You tell me. If they want to leave it in Performance, and Higher Performance, then thats fine, as there should be trade offs.

Why? You tell me. If they want to leave it in Performance, and Higher Performance, then thats fine, as there should be trade offs.

Because it's their perogative??? They're a trillion dollar business for God's sakes. They're an empire. They can and will do what they want. :cool:

I dont know what shimmering is and that video that was posted I didnt see a difference..... can someone show me a blatant screenshot of shimmering so I exactly know what Im looking for?

fallguy said:
Can you say, hypocritical? You get mad at me for "blowing this out of proportion", how about I get sick people "trying to make it out to be minor"? Its my opinion its not minor, its yours that it is. I dont know how you can call it minor when playing BF2 and the shimmering is so easily seen, but whatever.

Dude, check out the threadstarters (Garrics) final post. He got carried away with all the ATI corners bashing too 'til he finally got the card and his final verdict was that the whole thing really WAS blown out of proportion.

vocab said:
I dont know what shimmering is and that video that was posted I didnt see a difference..... can someone show me a blatant screenshot of shimmering so I exactly know what Im looking for?

screenshots can't show it (clearly at least), i thought that was clearly stated at least somewhere in this thread.

Zinn said:
Wow... this is totally blown out of proportion.
I've had a 6600, a 6800 GT and have a 7800 GTX, and I have been able to get any minor shimmering to go away permanently using the same option on each card.

Go to advanced driver options, and set "Negative LOD bias" to "Clamp"

That's it. No more shimmering. Not that it was even very noticeable in the first place. Sorry to ruin the party for all the ATI !!!!!!s here

Sorry, thats false. Clamp does NOT "fix" the "bug".It doesnt happen in every game, which is why you probably dont notice it. I assure you it is still VERY noticable to me, in some games. Namely BF2, the game I play the most. But good job name calling?

Sly said:
Dude, check out the threadstarters (Garrics) final post. He got carried away with all the ATI corners bashing too 'til he finally got the card and his final verdict was that the whole thing really WAS blown out of proportion.

To him, perhaps. Not to others. It is a VERY annoying problem to me. NV is NOT going to "fix" the "bug" in Quality. To be honest, if I didnt play BF2 so much, I really wouldnt mind. As its not very noticable in other games to me. Its mainly games with a large draw distance, such as Farcry, JointOps, etc. If I didnt play BF2, I wouldnt care. But I do play BF2, and I do care. Why is that so hard to understand?

Doom3Quality.JPG

^^^^^^ Doom 3 "Quality Mode" 78.01 drivers, 6800nu oced, 1280x1024 2x/8x, vsync/triplebuffer enabled.^^^^^^^^

Doom3HighQuality.JPG

^^^^^^ Doom 3 "High Quality Mode" 78.01 drivers, 6800nu oced, 1280x1024 2x/8x, vsync/triplebuffer enabled.^^^^^^^^

I notice a small difference where I pointed to it in the pic, but honest to God, it doesn't bother me enough. And I'm not on a 7800gtx, but I do notice it. It's just not enough to bother me.

well you know, it's not supposed to be fixed in the 78.01 drivers. You have to be using 78.03 to see no to little shimmering in HQ and normal shimmering in Q.

To him, perhaps. Not to others. It is a VERY annoying problem to me. NV is NOT going to "fix" the "bug" in Quality. To be honest, if I didnt play BF2 so much, I really wouldnt mind. As its not very noticable in other games to me. Its mainly games with a large draw distance, such as Farcry, JointOps, etc. If I didnt play BF2, I wouldnt care. But I do play BF2, and I do care. Why is that so hard to understand?

I don't think it's hard for them to understand, but I think its hard to justify all this bitching over something so small, that it bothers only a few people. Even you, one of the more picky people on here, notice this only in a few select games, and the only reason why you care is because you frequently play one of these selected few. I mean, it was almost "serious" enough to worry Garric to hell about "wasting" money on a new card with this problem that he hasn't witnessed now. This is one prime example for how all this "hype" about shimmering gave people second thoughts from buying from nVidia, and Garric clearly told us that this worry was all for nothing.

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
I don't think it's hard for them to understand, but I think its hard to justify all this bitching over something so small, that it bothers only a few people. Even you, one of the more picky people on here, notice this only in a few select games, and the only reason why you care is because you frequently play one of these selected few. I mean, it was almost "serious" enough to worry Garric to hell about "wasting" money on a new card with this problem that he hasn't witnessed now. This is one prime example for how all this "hype" about shimmering gave people second thoughts from buying from nVidia, and Garric clearly told us that this worry was all for nothing.

Except thats its not "so small" to the people it bothers. Understand this, and you will be better off. Its your opinion that it is a small problem, not fact.

His words about wasting money are not mine, they are a bad choice of words. I dont think I wasted my money on this card. At the time (and still today) its the fastest card out. And the only single card that can play my LCD's res in almost every game with good frames. It doesnt matter that he said it was worrying over nothing. Its a cold hard fact, that it shimmers much more noticeably when on Quality, in some games. Could it be more in the future? Sure. Less? Sure. Is NV going to "fix" it? Not for Quality it doesnt look like it. Which just happens to be how most reviewers use the drivers for a review.

Was it blown out of proportion by some people? Yeah, just as everything is. Was it swept under the carpet as a non-issue by some? Yeah. The level of effect it has is different from person to person.

Am I picky? I think if you paid $600 you wouldnt want an annoying problem such as this, in your favorite game either. As I said, if I didnt play BF2, I really wouldnt care. I can see it in other games, but not as badly. And in some maps in BF2, I dont notice it much. The color and "smoothness" (gravel is worse than pavement) makes a difference too.

fallguy said:
Except thats its not "so small" to the people it bothers. Understand this, and you will be better off. Its your opinion that it is a small problem, not fact.

His words about wasting money are not mine, they are a bad choice of words. I dont think I wasted my money on this card. At the time (and still today) its the fastest card out. And the only single card that can play my LCD's res in almost every game with good frames. It doesnt matter that he said it was worrying over nothing. Its a cold hard fact, that it shimmers much more noticeably when on Quality, in some games. Could it be more in the future? Sure. Less? Sure. Is NV going to "fix" it? Not for Quality it doesnt look like it. Which just happens to be how most reviewers use the drivers for a review.

Was it blown out of proportion by some people? Yeah, just as everything is. Was it swept under the carpet as a non-issue by some? Yeah. The level of effect it has is different from person to person.

Am I picky? I think if you paid $600 you wouldnt want an annoying problem such as this, in your favorite game either. As I said, if I didnt play BF2, I really wouldnt care. I can see it in other games, but not as badly. And in some maps in BF2, I dont notice it much. The color and "smoothness" (gravel is worse than pavement) makes a difference too.

Well it's also an opinion to consider this a big problem. The reason why I brought up Garric's reaction was because a bunch of people lead him to believe how horrible this shimmering bug is. I mean, look at one of his responses:

Well fuck, if I knew that I wouldn't have bought that piece of shit..

I AM SO MAD.. this was my first top of the line PC to date, I spent over a year saving money to buy it, and now I learn about this bull shit

This thread would have made the difference between buying the card or not, and he would have steered clear from a problem that's never there for him. I've witnessed this shimmering on my friend's rig on different games (not BF2, but we'll have to see), and frankly it doesn't bother me. It's all opinion, but the way people make it seem like Armageddon is a little out of hand.

Yoshiyuki Blade said:
Well it's also an opinion to consider this a big problem. The reason why I brought up Garric's reaction was because a bunch of people lead him to believe how horrible this shimmering bug is. I mean, look at one of his responses:

This thread would have made the difference between buying the card or not, and he would have steered clear from a problem that's never there for him. I've witnessed this shimmering on my friend's rig on different games (not BF2, but we'll have to see), and frankly it doesn't bother me. It's all opinion, but the way people make it seem like Armageddon is a little out of hand.

I never said my opinion was fact. You sure implied that yours was however. Sure its not a problem to a lot of people, to others it is.

I already said that some people blew it out of proportion, and then some tried to make it a non-issue. Both are wrong, its different for different people.

Im done with this thread. Obviously its not productive anymore. Some think its an issue, some dont. And NV isnt going to "fix" the "bug" for Quality any time soon, sadly.

Back