Should I wait for Vista to get a notebook?

larryBird44

Supreme [H]ardness
Just curious if Vista will bring a slew of new features and improvements over XP.

buy with MCE now and get vista upgrade for free when released.

Equalizer said:
Who will be offering a free upgrade to Vista with a purchase now?
Microsoft will.

Anyone who buys a notebook/computer that is "Vista-capable" from October onwards is eligible for the coupon. If you buy a computer with Windows MCE or XP Pro then you get a free upgrade to Vista Premium. If you get XP Home, you get a 50% discount.

Quick question. If you buy XP pro by itself Oct. onward, are you still elligible for free Vista?

Bona Fide said:
Microsoft will.

Anyone who buys a notebook/computer that is "Vista-capable" from October onwards is eligible for the coupon. If you buy a computer with Windows MCE or XP Pro then you get a free upgrade to Vista Premium. If you get XP Home, you get a 50% discount.

Do you have a link to this because I have a feeling I might be returning something if I can get something in writing.

Thanks

Equalizer said:
Do you have a link to this because I have a feeling I might be returning something if I can get something in writing.

Thanks

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20060921234746.html
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/09/22/vista_upgrade_coupon/
http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060921PR210.html

The news is a couple of weeks old, but it's not rumor anymore. Microsoft will be giving upgrade coupons to OEMs who sell Vista-capable computers from October onwards.

UnlimitedMP said:
Quick question. If you buy XP pro by itself Oct. onward, are you still elligible for free Vista?

Nope. In order to get a coupon, you need to buy a "Vista-capable" desktop/laptop. In fact, what Microsoft is going to do is give coupons to the OEMs, who will then give you a coupon in your package when you order a system.

I wait until Vista ships, unless you can run the Vista Upgrade Advisor on the machine before buying, or the seller gives you a full refund in the event of incompatibility.

Awesome that they decide to bone people who purchased Vista Capable labeled hardware in say.. September. Jackasses. :mad:

mwarps said:
Awesome that they decide to bone people who purchased Vista Capable labeled hardware in say.. September. Jackasses. :mad:
If it was September, you'd be pissed about August. And if it was August, you'd be pissed about July. Microsoft drew the line at a four-month lead. Why are you so mad that you've gone vulgar just because it's not a five-month lead?

Anyone know what vendors will be giving coupons away? Those articles make it sound like its top secret.

riot8ap said:
Just curious if Vista will bring a slew of new features and improvements over XP.
it depends on whom you ask. Some people think that vista's "feature set" is only slightly bigger than WinXP Pro, others seem to consider it the best thing since sliced bread. The best option would be for you to take a look for yourself, because your preferences will determine whether Vista is "extremely desirable" or "oh well" for you.

Equalizer said:
Anyone know what vendors will be giving coupons away? Those articles make it sound like its top secret.
I would say every Tier 1 vendor will be doing this. I know for a fact that Dell and HP will do it.

Bona Fide said:
I would say every Tier 1 vendor will be doing this. I know for a fact that Dell and HP will do it.

I know your getting tired of my questions, so I will ask one last one. Do you know exactly when they will send coupons? I haven't seen anything mentioned on their site.
thanks for the info.

Equalizer said:
I know your getting tired of my questions, so I will ask one last one. Do you know exactly when they will send coupons? I haven't seen anything mentioned on their site.
thanks for the info.

Well, I actually don't know the answer to that. But, assuming those articles are telling the truth, we should start seeing something soon. Microsoft said every sale from October onwards would be eligible, so I guess it's only a matter of time. It is, after all, only the second day of October.

vistas crap xp will outlast it and be more stable. dont fall for the monopolistic bs spread by the greedy whores

who am I - I ask said:
vistas crap xp will outlast it and be more stable. dont fall for the monopolistic bs spread by the greedy whores

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

who am I - I ask said:
xps crap win98 will outlast it and be more stable. dont fall for the monopolistic bs spread by the greedy whores

Fixed.

:rolleyes:

I don't think it's something worth losing sleep over, unless you are dead seat on running Vista for a very specific purpose and will be crushed without it. Most new/current mobile product lines shipping these days are "Vista Capable" so the core OS should be supported without issue. One of the main catches re: Vista will be graphics hardware, and you'll really only see a benefit if you're willing to part with enough $$$ to buy a high-end notebook that features decent independent graphics. If you're budget puts in the land of integrated video (Intel GMA900/GMA950, ATI X200, etc) then I wouldn't worry too much about Vista and if you're notebook will support Aero and other features.

Back