Side fans = Loud.....any fix?

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Just got a CM590. I have 4x140mm 3x120mm fans all hooked up to a fan controller.

On the side panel I have a 140mm areocool and a 120mm Yateloon both rather quite fans. When they are turned all the way low they are very quite but as soon as I turn the speed up even a little they get really noisy. The side panel fans at 25% are louder than all the other fans at 100%.

Any idea's to quite down the side panel fans?

The cause of the noise is the fan blades' proximity to the grill. It's so close that it causes turbulence and extra noise. Create some separation from the grill with a shim or cut the grill out and replace it with a wire grill. If you do that, it will greatly reduce the noise with the side panel. I had the same issues with the CM690 and I used a rubber shim to create some space between the fan and grill.

Thats what I thought it was but the top fans have the same grill and they are silent so I figured it might be vibration or something.

The 140MM fans came with a 140MM to 120MM converter that would put some distance away from the grill I will try that when I get home.

If it's vibration, creating a rubber shim would still dampen the vibration..

You could also use rubber grommets to attach the fans to the case.

The grill is flat and this is too close to the fan blades, I got a thick cloth, panel flat black side down and got a hammer to push the grilling out a bit more (look up Antec 300, you'll see what I mean, though its not quite pushed out that far;))
Also used 3 layers of silicon washers to put extra distance from the grill, now my 1650rpm Yate Loon 140mm fan doesn't make any extraneous noise.

The reason why the top doesn't make noise is because the grill isn't so close to the fan blades, assuming you have the top fans as exhausts that is.

The grill is flat and this is too close to the fan blades, I got a thick cloth, panel flat black side down and got a hammer to push the grilling out a bit more (look up Antec 300, you'll see what I mean, though its not quite pushed out that far;))
Also used 3 layers of silicon washers to put extra distance from the grill, now my 1650rpm Yate Loon 140mm fan doesn't make any extraneous noise.

The reason why the top doesn't make noise is because the grill isn't so close to the fan blades, assuming you have the top fans as exhausts that is.

Great post thanks.

I don't really want to damage the case and me+hammer = damage. But the washers could work for sure.

Great post thanks.

I don't really want to damage the case and me+hammer = damage. But the washers could work for sure.

I was a bit wary too, but on my side panel it was actually concaved towards the fan, so now its slighty concaved outwards.

its really simple to do actually, just get a cloth for protection and just gently tap with the hammer all around the edge of the grill, don't whack it! :D

Back