silly question

xjmtx

Limp Gawd
anyone try to move the 20, 20+4, 24 pin connector on the mobo to the back of the mobo? how risky is it to do that?

well the thought was to sleeve the psu 24 pin wires, and if i do that, then i can re-wire them in (backwards) and then it'd be fine. the soldering is the hard part right? i thought i saw on here that someone did relocate the 20, 20+4, 24 connector to the back...my only thought is that it'd make a much cleaner mobo tray area.

It is pretty risky of course, but I remember seeing a few people on a few forums attempt this and basically ruin their motherboards by being unable to remove the solder cleanly from that area (I guess these things are on there real good). I would definitely suggest practicing on a junk motherboard if you can find one.

Agreed. Pick up some el cheapo Motherboard/CPU combo like an old Athlon or Celeron or something that you wouldnt cry over your $30 if you try the mobo. ebay or craigslist might be a good place to shop. I wouldnt see the potential gains outweighing the posability of wrecking a motherboard, even with practace.

The one worklog on here that comes to mind was the PrometheanCu project. He ruined a mobo trying that.

well, i ran through his work log on it, and he said he didn't ruin it, but he wasn't successful either. i tried on an old kmd board i had lying about, and i couldn't get the iron hot enough to even desolder one pin, even with my copper braid to suck up the solder. so i suppose that idea is in the shitter, BUT i wonder about soldering the pins directly to the back of the board, would that be bad?

This is difficult at best with a single soldering iron. You might try rigging up variations on a hot plate or hot air gun. You might get lucky with a tip for your iron that is a long bar. The with two of those and an extra set of hands you might pull it off. Proper rework tools for this are going to be costly.

a hot air gun....like............THIS!!!???!!!
img0068kg.jpg

my second thought on the matter by soldering the tips to the back of the mobo...i saw what langer did and i like that idea, but i had thought, why not solder say an atx power extension cable to the back and then it'd be sorta like a click together again.....sorta.

Uh, looking forward to your photos of the result. Also wondering how you are going to fit the cable on the back side, you really need probably 2'' of clearance, or 1 if you smash it down. More than what most cases will give you.

that's the plan, move the connector to the back, if not, cut a hole in the mobo tray and then cut/solder an extension cable connector to the back of the tray.

Either way you'll have to cut a hole on your motherboard tray. The connector sticks out far more than the 10mm or so that the stand offs give you. And then you have the cable size to deal with.

Why stop there. Move all the connectors to the back and build a case with a custom tray for your motherboard to plug on to.

A friend of mine did it and it worked fine, though his soldering wasn't quite as neat.

WHOA, that heat gun could not have worked better! i attached a large tweezer/forceps to the connector, turned the mobo upside down, put the heat gun over the solder points and waited about 45 seconds...i went to touch the solder points with a leatherman and the connector just WHOOP fell to the floor from the weight of the tweezer things.

pictures of course!

img0066qr.jpg

img0067b.jpg

img0073av.jpg

img0070bq.jpg

img0071xy.jpg

img0072at.jpg

shoving it back in was a little harder than i had anticipated, and i got more than just the solder hot and bothered (just proof of concept is all i care about at this point) i blew a capacitor and melted a fan connector but whatevs!

img0079wb.jpg

img0078it.jpg

img0077x.jpg

img0076gk.jpg

Last edited:
thanks! the only thing bugging me now (i realized) is that the connector itself has several 6 sided plugs to prevent you from plugging stuff in backwards and such....sooooo, either, i'm going to have to file the dog crap out of these connectors OR, i'm going to have to rewire the connector that comes from the PSU....which seems a little faster probably.

You can't file anything. you have to rewire the cable so that when you plug it in all the wires will make the same connections they would have on the opposite side.

the idea is to cut a hole in the mobo tray so that those cables are completely hidden. i want the build to be very clean. I have a build to do for a media center and then a build to do for a print Ripping server, I bought some new rip software for my printer and i plan to overclock the absolute crap out of it, and i want it to not only be ultra clean, but ridiculously fast....considering phase change possibly...getting off topic here now...but very soon.

It would be very cool if you could run all the connectors on the board like that. Much neater! I'm glad that it went so well, I may have to invest in a heat gun.

A suggestion: Instead of rewiring the PSU plug, what about just getting (making) a 24pin to 24pin adaptor and rewiring that? Should be able to mount it neatly out of sight round the back of the motherboard. Would make swapping PSUs at a later date easier, and avoid accidentally forgetting that you had rewired the PSU...

so what you're saying is altering a 24-24 extender so that on the end that plugs into the mobo is rewired? sounds even smarter than what i had planned! thanks for the input

so what you're saying is altering a 24-24 extender so that on the end that plugs into the mobo is rewired? sounds even smarter than what i had planned! thanks for the input
Yep - that is exactly it. Makes the kit much more flexible and less prone to accidentally plugging the wrong thing in. It will also be easier to rewire the extension.

i had thought of getting the murdermod sleeve kit, but with this on the back....there's hardly a reason to.

Back