Single Core to Dual Core Upgrade

AARGH!

Gawd
I'm doing for the first time an Intel single core to dual core upgrade on my HTPC.
I'm going from a P4 641 (3.2Ghz/800mhz Cedar Mill) to Pentium D 930. Any special software, etc... I recall there was stuff for when I did this for my AMD main rig, but can't find anything really about doing this on Intel platform.

Thanks!

I am not sure I would call going from a Pentium 4 3.2 to a Pentium D 930 much of an upgrade, however you do not have to install any special software.

Have you purchased the D 930 yet?

With an Intel system, as long as the chipset supports it, its a simple drop in upgrade. No software or anything.

Since its for your HTPC I can see that dual core making a difference. Should help in decoding since now you have 2 cores.

Thanks for info, going dual for HD decoding mostly. With the single cpu and the 8600GTS it just barely cuts it, and sometimes if it get real busy onscreen you can see it struggling. This is also the top CPU the motherboard (it's a Shuttle SD36G5M btw) it officially supports so figured I would get it now while I can still find it.

The 945G chipset supports Core2Duo, but shuttle doesnt list it as supported. Email them and ask if the new BIOS adds microcode for Core2 CPUs. If so, go with that instead. The Pent.D 930 is a POWER HOG, which is not a good thing for a shuttle xpc.

$78 - Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 Allendale 1.8GHz 1MB L2 Cache
$122 - Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Allendale 2.2GHz 2MB L2 Cache

I asked it doesn't. They never did a new bios for it to enable using the C2D, much to ire of all the buyers of this Shuttle.

The 945G chipset supports Core2Duo, but shuttle doesnt list it as supported. Email them and ask if the new BIOS adds microcode for Core2 CPUs. If so, go with that instead. The Pent.D 930 is a POWER HOG, which is not a good thing for a shuttle xpc.

Looked at power specs between the two, and it's +2W more at maximum and -16W at idle with switching to the 930. Once I get it in, will see how much HD pushes it along with the 8600GTS.

I asked it doesn't. They never did a new bios for it to enable using the C2D, much to ire of all the buyers of this Shuttle.

Yah, I googled for it and most people think it was to make people buy the newer barebones. Those bastids. Some people think the board needs physical mods to make Core2s work... o wellz.

Back