Skipping the Galaxy Nexus

iYoYo

Limp Gawd
I've made my decision and I will skip the galaxy nexus. I'll be waiting for the iPhone 5( don't flame please) which I'm hoping would come right after my contract expires(5 months left). My problem is, I currently don't have a phone. So would it be possible Get an unlocked phone and just slap my sim card in or do I have to speak with my provider about this?

Pretty cool story I must say. I'm waiting out for the next best thing as well. Almost got a galxay s II but I need a phone with good battery life.

i fully expect the next few years to be lets say....not so great for Apple....I think we have seen the pinnacle for the decade for them

ouch, apple's not gonna be so great moving forward? i just got meself an iPhone 4S, i still think they rock, hope they live up to expectations even without jobs

Yeah, Apple has still really been innovating. I'm sure the iPhone 5 will truly be magical! I was amazed with how they thought of that pull-down notification bar thingy for iOS 5. I'll bet that by the time iOS 6 rolls around; they'll have something completely unique like live/interactive icons on the home screens that dynamically update upon receiving new information. Or maybe true multitasking with a pop-up menu that shows thumbnails/live tiles of apps running in the background or recently ran apps.

I really wonder how they come up with this stuff! :D

If Google had bothered to patent their notifications, the way Apple patents every single pixel in their products, it woudn't be in iOS and all their ads. But they didn't and Apple gets to steal yet more tech.

I expect next years phone's will finally have usable 4G battery life once they move to 28mm chipsets, but it won't happen till Q2.

Pretty cool story I must say. I'm waiting out for the next best thing as well. Almost got a galxay s II but I need a phone with good battery life.

This phone has excellent battery life. Ive tried killing this thing in 1 day and cant:cool: Angry birds for 2 hours, surfed for an hour, talked for almost 2 hours, checked email, GF tethered for almost an hour and still had 25% left.

This phone has excellent battery life. Ive tried killing this thing in 1 day and cant:cool: Angry birds for 2 hours, surfed for an hour, talked for almost 2 hours, checked email, GF tethered for almost an hour and still had 25% left.

Yeah I am not having the battery issues either. G+ and VZW backup disabled. Runs all day, never gets below 30%.

Yeah I am not having the battery issues either. G+ and VZW backup disabled. Runs all day, never gets below 30%.

Ditto, I run w/ 4G on all day long, game for an hour or two and send ~200 texts (or Skype messages, mostly). LOTS of web browsing. Occasional vid chat (yeah, I actually use that).

Heaviest usage I ever did was on a road trip. 6.5 hours of non-stop 4G web-browsing. Died, popped another bat in, and I could have gone for another 6.5 hours.

Yeah, Apple has still really been innovating. I'm sure the iPhone 5 will truly be magical! I was amazed with how they thought of that pull-down notification bar thingy for iOS 5. I'll bet that by the time iOS 6 rolls around; they'll have something completely unique like live/interactive icons on the home screens that dynamically update upon receiving new information. Or maybe true multitasking with a pop-up menu that shows thumbnails/live tiles of apps running in the background or recently ran apps.

Steve Jobs said:
It's more fun to be a pirate than to join the navy.

Steve Jobs said:
Good artists copy; great artists steal

Steve Jobs said:
We have always been shameless about stealing great ideas.

He said a lot of this stuff ealier on in his career... and then spent the end of it complaining that people are copying him. Steve Jobs was a hypocrite.

that varies so wildly it's hard to make any assumptions on it...locally there is a supermarket called Meijers(think Walmart size but with class and no cheetoh-eating mullet-wearing inbreds).

It must have been built as a Faraday cage originally because literally 30 feet in the door your signal goes from perfect wide open 4G to nothing at all....throughout the store it will occasionally pick up on a blip of 1xRtt and will try like hell to pull it in. I can drain my battery in a one hour visit there if I don't put my phone in airplane mode, the phone gets so hot to the touch it isn't even funny. That's without me doing anything at all, just walk in and shop and by the time we go to leave the phone is hot as hell and almost dead.

I have had nothing but trouble with all the latest motorola 4G phones, bad network drops on bionic, hotspot not working on razr, just got the nexus and i love it. I do have Apple everything else, but the iphone is not for me, not a fan of iOS for a phone and no 4G.

I'm going to try the Razr. The GN is out of stock at Amazon for a couple of weeks, so I'll have plenty of time to see if the Razr will be the phone for me.

I have the GN and have zero issues making it through the day with the stock battery with moderate use. 8 hours since charge and i am at 60% battery

I have the GN and have zero issues making it through the day with the stock battery with moderate use. 8 hours since charge and i am at 60% battery

you must not have much going on on your phone, no apps using much data, no push mail, or not very active accounts, no exchange calendar sync......because 8 hours on 40% charge is not accurate for typical use

you must not have much going on on your phone, no apps using much data, no push mail, or not very active accounts, no exchange calendar sync......because 8 hours on 40% charge is not accurate for typical use

Or he's just not using the phone much. My G-Nex lasts forever when it's idle..

Screenshot_2011-12-17-11-05-08.png

About 1%/hour when I left it unplugged overnight. That was with WiFi on the whole time and push mail, weather and news updates every 30-60 mins too.

The moment I start using the phone though.. that turns into about a 80° drop off, lol.

I generally get about 20+ hours of moderate to heavy use with my Sprint Galaxy S II. Just saying. Probably the best battery life out of any smartphone I have owned, and I generally buy almost everything that comes out (higher-end, anyway).

You seen Apple's new patent for unlocking your phone with your face? It can actually see your eyes and mouth. Amazing technology that's never been seen before! :rolleyes:

If Google had bothered to patent their notifications, the way Apple patents every single pixel in their products, it woudn't be in iOS and all their ads. But they didn't and Apple gets to steal yet more tech.

I expect next years phone's will finally have usable 4G battery life once they move to 28mm chipsets, but it won't happen till Q2.

Who said Google didn't patent it? In case you haven't noticed, Google has never sued someone for patent violation. Apple absolutely copies from others. Hell, most of their products are about taking other people's ideas and polishing the crap out of it. That's what they are good at.

I generally get about 20+ hours of moderate to heavy use with my Sprint Galaxy S II. Just saying. Probably the best battery life out of any smartphone I have owned, and I generally buy almost everything that comes out (higher-end, anyway).

this is a good example of a different definition of "heavy" use. None of these phones last more than around 10-12 hours with what most people who follow and are into these phones call heavy use. Your heavy use is probably moderate to me. ;)

Who said Google didn't patent it? In case you haven't noticed, Google has never sued someone for patent violation. Apple absolutely copies from others. Hell, most of their products are about taking other people's ideas and polishing the crap out of it. That's what they are good at.
people always forget that itunes was a clone of musicmatch. And somehow Steve Jobs has won a Grammy...

I can't blame you for wanting to hold out for the iPhone 5. I think the iPhone is retarded personally but the Nexus was horribly underwhelming and the update schedule for the Samsung phones I'm interested in is pathetic. I won't ever go back to an iPhone but I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand why you might want to.

I can't blame you for wanting to hold out for the iPhone 5. I think the iPhone is retarded personally but the Nexus was horribly underwhelming and the update schedule for the Samsung phones I'm interested in is pathetic. I won't ever go back to an iPhone but I'd be lying if I said I didn't understand why you might want to.

there's more available to do with your Galaxy Nexus than any other phone around....you don't have to wait for carrier pushed updates, that's one of the primary reasons to get a Nexus phone

I'd give the iPhone another look if the 5 had a bigger screen and 4G. I can't deal with the tiny 3.5" screen on the 4, retina display or not.

I Will be skipping the galaxy nexus too.. Only because I can neither afford it or justify it.

Hmm is the Iphone 5 gonna a fat fuck again? The Iphones are so thick compared to the Galaxy Nexus. People complaining about batteries, just get extended versions or buy an extra one if you really need it, at least you can swap out batteries(Iphone can't even do that and it's still extremely thick..)

Back